GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My officemates/friends/colleagues earn anywhere from $98,000/year to $153,000/year (their salaries are public data anyway, it was posted in Sacramento Bee). They all told me, they won't buy a car over $30,000. The Volt at $40,000 is way out of reach.

Most of them have kids, and they are in college, so you understand that they are financially hard up when it comes to buying cars. But if the Volt would be in the $20K-$25K range or priced as a Prius, they would buy them in a heart beat. They are hoping about the new plug-in hybrids from Toyota will be priced lower than $30K, and they believe that those will be in retail by 2010, while GM will only have their Volt in show rooms.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
And here's that plug-in Prius that they are considering:

Plug-In Power: My six days with a Plug-In Prius
by Tyler on Mon 09 Jun 2008 02:52 PM EDT | Permanent Link | Cosmos

Given that oil is over $130 a barrel and gas prices are above $4 a gallon, I figured it was time to test out a plug-in Prius. A123/Hymotion was kind enough to lend me one of their retrofitted cars last week, and I have to say it was an enjoyable and insightful experience. I detail my experience in my latest Clean Break column. Apologies for U.S. readers -- the column discusses fuel economy as "Litres per 100 km" rather than MPG.

What I can tell you is that five of the six days I drove the car I got 100 MPG or higher fuel economy, and on some trips got over 200 MPG and even 300 MPG a couple of times. I found that driving behaviour improves with each day and you learn to use more of the electric battery than the engine, and develop techniques for doing so. The only sub-100 MPG day was when I had a 155-mile drive north of Toronto and back. I logged 55 MPG that day. Otherwise, my driving was mainly 5 or 10 mile hops around the city (I'm an urban dweller), which is perfect for a plug-in vehicle. I used a bit more than a quarter of a tank of gas and only $3.83 worth of electricity (and associated charges) during my six day trial. Most of the gas was used during my one-day trek to the country.

click for complete article:
http://tyler.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2008/6/9/3736388.html

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
A car like that would be near worthless to me because I only go under 50mph when stuck in traffic. Which constitutes all of 8 miles a day while the other 12 are wide open going 55-60. It'd be better for me to get an ultra-efficient gas car tha a plug-in Prius.
Just to clarify: MrBogey's quoted lines were not my writing or my opinionated message, but rather it was taken from the article of Tyler that I posted a link to...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.