GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found one of my rear Brake Caliper Slider Pins rusted solid in the caliper carrier.

Heat, twisting, hammering and cussing got it out.
I cleaned it and the bore with a scotchbrite on a high speed.
Gooped both pins and bores with the single serving 'Caliper Grease' packets at auto parts stores.

Now I know what I'll be doing this Saturday,,, cleaning and lubing up the the other 3 calipers.

BTW, the brake pads looked like new, the way they probably do on all EV's with this mileage.

'14 Spark EV, 43k miles, in the land of salted roads.
But if salt water can get past the boots, any water can get past the boots on these slider pins.

These cars are 'Mostly' maintenance free. But this item needs routine maintenance.
Same for the Volt and Bolt.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Good advice for any EV. Prius owners are aware of this. Our angel WOT said every 10k miles. I did this at 40k on my 2015 Volt. No wear on the front rotors or pads. Small wear and some scoring on the rears. I avoid the worst of the liquid salt on our freeways but the pins were still showing some corrosion and the pad seats were dry and full of dirt. Clean it up and apply a small amount of brake lube on the pins and seats. Do not get lube on the rotor faces or pads.
A sticking caliper can quickly wear out an expensive rotor. If it's one rotor usually the tech wants to replace everything at $$$.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts