GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the premier audio system in the Volt uses a Bose high efficiency system. Bose claims this system draws only about 50% of what a similar sounding less efficient amp and speakers would. Otherwise I can find no real data about the system and especially the amp.

From my reading some car audio systems can consume up to 30 AMPS at 13.5VOLTS at higher volumes. Given that one can keep pressing the audio on button after the 10 minute retained accessory power (RAP) is over to continue to play music while the vehicle is off enables one to consume a considerable amount of juice from the standard 12V car battery.

A friend of mine found he could not start his vehicle after having his upgraded Chevrolet truck audio system playing for about one hour when he was working outside near the vehicle.

Not that I intend to use the audio system in this manner, but I am simply interested in knowing if anyone has more data on the electrical specs of the upgraded premier audio system in the Volt and particularly what the total amp draw would be at "normal" volumes ??

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
IN GENERAL "good" stereos power ratings are for transient peak power and don't really reflect typical consumption. I wouldn't expect a factory (even the Bose one) to draw more than about 30-50 watts continuous, no matter how loud you played it, and probably closer to half that for in-car listening etc.

OTOH, it's a Volt, dude. Just turn the climate control off, and the lights if it's dark, and use that massive battery pack. No worries about flattening the 12v, you get a "retained power" of two hours or something instead of ten minutes. and you can keep the music going for and entire DAY from a full battery. Like... 24 hours entire day, not "noon to sundown" entire day. Just need to rubber-band the shifter handle if you don't feel like climbing in and moving it from Park to Reverse and back every hour or two.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Bose audio system in the Volt uses high efficiency drivers ( neodymium magnets) and class D amplifiers, so at high volume, it will use less power than older, more traditional designs. They had a demo where they'd run music through the Bose audio setup (amp + a few drivers) next to one of their traditional audio setups Both ran from a their own big capacitor. They simply demoed that the cap discharged a lot faster on the regular system though they were both playing at the same loudness, and same music.

I'd estimates the bose audio system draws less than 3A at loud listening levels. Power in audio is deceptive - the average power is usually very low, but the peaks and transient can be very large. A standard test level for comparison for things like temperature rise and efficiency is 1W avg of pink noise, and, if you're in the car, the noise is surprisingly loud for what seems like low power.

Think of this a bit like the motor in the Volt - driving flat and level, and we use only 12kW at highway speeds. But up a hill, or full bore start from a stop, and we're 10x higher than that average power draw.

-Lumos

2014 gen 1.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts