Orange spray paint.

:)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Wasn't the only part of the cord that was orange on the Gen 1 about a foot long?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well, shrink tubing wouldn't work without taking one end apart. Even the 3:1 wouldn't get it close. Probably Panduit is your best choice. The colored plastic wire loom at the auto parts store would work for a while but wouldn't hold up well.

Or, you could swap me for one of the Gen 1 orange cabled evses. Wouldn't work for level 2 however.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Wasn't the only part of the cord that was orange on the Gen 1 about a foot long?
The early EVSEs had orange cables on both ends, then with the recall, the short end was black, but the long end was still orange. After that, the cables were all black.

·
Registered
907 Posts
They've been all black since late 2012, IIRC.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 2013 with a warranty start date in August, 2012. I bought it in September 2015. It came with the EVSE cable to the household outlet in black, the charge port cable is orange. I bought a second EVSE from a 2013 via the For Sale forum here, it has black cables on both ends. I think the earlier orange cable one is a little better as it has an LED light on the pistol grip, much easier to use in dark areas. The all black EVSE also has a smaller diameter cable, I guess due to the elimination of the light.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Had a Gen1 and liked the high-vis orange cord.

Have the Gen2 as of yesterday and already worried I'm going to trip over the new-and-improved black cord.

Go back to orange!

Thanks.
Or pay better attention and provide adequate lighting :)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
This won't be nearly as elegant as an orange cable, but if safety is all you are worried about, you could take small strips of orange surveyor's flagging tape, which is really just a non-adhesive plastic ribbon, and tie them to several places along the cord. That is a cheap, easy, quick way to make things more visible.

I agree that providing an orange cable is a good idea for safety.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I thought it was a tripping hazard too. I was also concerned about wear and tear from people stepping on the cord. My cord is suspended along the garage wall and ceiling. It took 20 minutes to install a few hooks. The cord does't touch the floor anymore.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have a gray concrete floor and a lighted garage. Black shows up fine. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts