GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is a newb question.
The salesman told me that I could setup the car to preheat the cabin based on my departure time.

Can someone explain how it works?
Gen 2 volt

Thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
That feature is well explained on pages 37-40 of your owner's manual.

Be aware though, if you are using the supplied Level 1 charger (120VAC) the 10 minute pre-heating cycle can consume a fair bit of your charge (it can take a further 45 minutes of charge time to fully recover a charge after preheating). This is not an issue though with Level 2 charging (240VAC).

·
Registered
420 Posts
"Remote Start". Starts on Page 38 of your manual - I have the 2017 manual but they are almost identical.

(PS - that is page 38 of the actual manual - top left corner of each page, if you are using a PDF viewer the PDF page number might be different).

PPS: I cannot stress how important it is to sit in your vehicle for a couple of hours and read through both manuals and try out all the features. You will be very glad of the effort you put into doing that....

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
Sorry this is a newb question.
The salesman told me that I could setup the car to preheat the cabin based on my departure time.

Can someone explain how it works?
Gen 2 volt

Thanks
You can precondition (heat or cool) the cabin for up to 20 minutes (10 minutes plus an additional 10 minutes if desired) but you need to initiate the preconditioning using either the key fob or the MyChevrolet App on your phone. You cannot program the Volt to start preconditioning at a certain time each day (if that is what you were asking.) You do not have to have the Volt plugged in to precondition but especially in winter it is desirable to precondition while plugged in. The Volt will draw power from the battery, this can cause your EV range to drop a few miles. If you are plugged in the on-board charger will recharge the battery so you won't start out with less than the expected EV range. In practice this works better if you charge using Level 2 (240V/16amp) as to use Level 1 would take so long to top off the battery that the cabin would be cold again by the time the charging was completed. With Level 2 you need an additional ~15 minutes to top off the battery however with the 2019 Volt and the 7.2kW onboard charger it may not require any additional time to top off the battery charge once the 10 or 20 minute preconditioning period ends.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
What the salesman may have been thinking is that it is possible to set delayed charging (not cabin preconditioning) so that the Volt will complete charging at a certain time according the the delayed charging settings.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
I understand remote start! I am not asking about remote start. The salesman said I could set the departure time and it would automatically heat or cool my car.
Setting the departure time and automatically heating or cooling the cabin is not currently one of the Volt's features. It is true that at the time that charging has been completed the battery temperature will be warmer than it would be otherwise, you won't use any additional energy to pre-heat the battery before leaving in the A.M. Your salesman may have misunderstood your ask.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
You can set CHARGING times to finish just before you leave and THAT will have the battery warm or cooler if it is hot outside but does not help much for the inside temp.

NOW at ONE time we had a VB program that ran on windows that would use direct loging to the chevy web and do about the same as the app. The program checked the current weather temp to see if pre-heating was needed and run at the time you set.

Make sure you read the part about when pre-conditioning will NOT run.

The big one is when testing all this you have to actuall start the car after 2 pre-conditions and you can't do it after leaving you car at say the airport after a few days parking via onstar. ( no idea if FOB works after a 3 day time out ? )

---------------------------------
Gm/onstar was not too happy about the VB program and another( non-onstar ) Apple phone app that collected data every hour from the Volt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts