GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One-touch Precondition (app automation)

I used the Automate app (free android app) to automate the following manual steps in just one click/touch, instead of 5 clicks (and some wait time):

1. Open mychevrolet app.
2. Click Key Fob.
3. Click Precondition.
4. Click Continue.
5. Enter password (or scan fingerprint).
6. The car starts preconditioning.

The next thing I want to do is to say "Ok Google, start the car.", without touching or even opening the phone. But I haven't found the solution yet.

I've seen others have used Tasker (another android app, but not free): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbHPkAZGdfM

I tried to use the Tasker's Autovoice plugin within the Automate app, but haven't got it to work the way I wanted it as above.

There is a more involved solution: https://www.hackster.io/user03583/ok-google-start-my-car-7088dd
But I am not really into making my own hardware for it. It's bit more involved than I wanted.

If you have automated apps before, please let me know. If you have a flowchart that you can share, that would be great: something that will transfer/communicate the google assistant command to the automate app.

I've attached the flowchart of my "start the car" app. I created an app shortcut to my home screen, and all I have to do is tap that app shortcut. It does all those steps automatically.

Screenshot_20190528-145859.jpg

High-res screenshot:
https://imgur.com/cD0ZrHY

·
Registered
108 Posts
Brilliant! I use Automate to silence my phone when I'm at work, but I hadn't thought about using it for that purpose. Thanks for posting that idea.

2019 Volt LT, Pacific Blue, Power Convenience Package, LT Driver Confidence Package, Comfort Package, nicknamed "Voltemort".

·
Registered
108 Posts
This may not be well supported, but I did see a "Google Now Voice Command" under apps that may be what you're looking for.

2019 Volt LT, Pacific Blue, Power Convenience Package, LT Driver Confidence Package, Comfort Package, nicknamed "Voltemort".

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use my Amazon Alexa device. I just say "Alexa, ask Chevrolet to start my car" and she replies. "Start your car. What is your pin?" I tell her the pin and she tells me "The start request has been sent to your Chevrolet Volt", and the car starts.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may not be well supported, but I did see a "Google Now Voice Command" under apps that may be what you're looking for.
Yeah, I tried that too. It's not working for me the way I wanted it. Maybe I need to play around more. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use my Amazon Alexa device. I just say "Alexa, ask Chevrolet to start my car" and she replies. "Start your car. What is your pin?" I tell her the pin and she tells me "The start request has been sent to your Chevrolet Volt", and the car starts.
Good to know Alexa works. A few years ago, when we had to pick a smart ecosystem, we chose google assistant instead of alexa or siri. We are trying to stay within the same ecosystem, so that we don't have to buy so many smart devices of different kinds. So far google has been working fine, except this "start the car" workflow. Alexa wins this one, seems like.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Some may remember the basic program posted in 2012 to start the volt -- if local weather said it was cold outside.
It used Curl to access onstar. No idea if it still works

I just use the chevy app on my Apple watch. ( I think you still need the paired iPhone to be in range for this app to work via watch with cell option-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to revive a 6-month old thread, but Google Assistant now can integrate with MyChevy. Just say "OK Google, ask Chevrolet to start my car".

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
This sort of automation could be a big convenience for EV owners, but honestly I kind of hate to see it becoming so easy to remote start a vehicle. I wonder how much gasoline is wasted by countless ICE vehicles left idling so their owners don't have to suffer the few minutes of chill while their engine warms up.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to revive a 6-month old thread, but Google Assistant now can integrate with MyChevy. Just say "OK Google, ask Chevrolet to start my car".
wow, cool. I just tried it. It asked me to link my chevrolet account. I did and it says it started the car. The only thing is that I am not near the car and I am not sure if it did really start the car. Is there a way to check if the event was succeeded or not?

In MyChevrolet app, on the precondition page, it says the last time it successfully preconditioned. Asking google to start the car didn't update that time shown in the app.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow, cool. I just tried it. It asked me to link my chevrolet account. I did and it says it started the car. The only thing is that I am not near the car and I am not sure if it did really start the car. Is there a way to check if the event was succeeded or not?

In MyChevrolet app, on the precondition page, it says the last time it successfully preconditioned. Asking google to start the car didn't update that time shown in the app.
Happy report that it worked for me. I was able to verified it today after getting off work. I don't need to use the automate script anymore!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts