GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Twp specific precondition questions for my 2013 Volt

I have witnessed during a recent cold spell how rapidly heat drains power and i want to start preconditioning.

- are there any safety concerns about starting the car while plugged in with the garage door closed? Id like to do a remote start from upstairs and not have to worry about going down to opening garage

- when i drove home today, it was nice and i turned all climate controls off. When i precondition tne car the next am, does it default back to turned off mode ( last setting) or eco mode? Do i need to change back to eco climate mode before i turn off the car at days end to ensure the car climate control is on when i precondition?

Thanks in advance

Dave

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Hey Dave. This is not a simple question. Check out page 2-8 of the owners manual for a more complete explanation of all your options. The basic rule is that the settings last used form the basis of the pre-condition. However, there are many caveats to this and the car will deal with some of these -- for example, if you have turned climate off it use the AC or heater anyway in most situations. For best results you should read up.

It's not dangerous. If you're charging at 240v the wall power will be enough. If you're charging at 120v and the engine has to come on (it won't always) it won't stay on long enough to be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Id like to do a remote start from upstairs and not have to worry about going down to opening garage
Dave,

I remoted start from upstairs on many cold days last winter without an issue. (I use 240v/L2).

I'm pretty sure that the climate controls self-adjust just for the preconditioning.

Scott F

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
At what outside temperature should preconditioning be invoked?
35F-ish. This really depends on how far you are driving tho. One day a week in the winter I'm traveling 40 miles so I precondition then for sure. Some days I'm going straight back and forth to work so like 25 miles. I don't need to precondition on those days.

Think about your cost/rate at the point in time you are preconditioning. Is it worth it? ERDTT eng-running-due-to-temp only uses 0.07 gal. Of course that is over a quarter for $4 gas.

Is this the temperature in the garage or outside in the elements?
Outside. It does not take long for the car interior (or ICE) to cool down when it is 35F or below.

Warning - rough opinions above and it's after midnight here!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
At what outside temperature should preconditioning be invoked? Is this the temperature in the garage or outside in the elements?
I remote start my car almost every day regardless of temperature. I found my range is slightly better when the battery pack is warmed up. It is not a huge difference but I would say 0.2 kWh or so.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Pre-conditioning will use your currently selected temperature and then it will heat or cool the cabin accordingly (even if you were previously in "Fan Only" mode and/or had the fan off). Make sure that you don't leave the windows down (Don't ask how I know!), or you'll just be trying to pre-condition the garage!

The engine won't start in your garage unless the car is "ON" and your battery is dead (shouldn't happen if it has been plugged in all night) or the temperature is cold (below 27 F, I believe). I presume the same behavior while preconditioning (AKA "Remote Start"). But even if the ICE does start, it burns *very* cleanly.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You want to make sure you adjust your settings in the config menu to "very cold" and the setting that ensures the engine doesnt while plugged in. I don't have this on my 2012 Volt so you are lucky.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
having the overnight battery charging done just before leaving for work will also be a small part of having a warm car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The past two mornings I have tried to start the car remotely (it is plugged in) with Onstar. I entered my PIN and I thought I got messages indicating that it was setting my car for optimum comfort but when I go to the car (about ten minutes later), it is not turned on and it does not feel like it has been on.

I have been able to start remotely when it is not plugged in without a problem

Not sure if I am doing something wrong

1 - 12 of 12 Posts