GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As WopOnTour posted here yesterday, the dealers have to go through a Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) process on the Volts after they receive it and before they give it to you. On the one hand this is just like any car, so for example here is the PDI form for a Chevy Silverado:

http://gmhouston.com/pdi/2010SilveradoLD.pdf

On the other hand, this is a special car, and in particular the PDI calls for driving it several miles until CS mode kicks in, to confirm that that system works, and then they will want to charge it back up to some minimum SOC before handing off to the customer.

One of us here is going to be the first to go through that process. When you do, please get a copy of that PDI form (you'll be asked to sign it) or at least take a steady snapshot of it. And then post here. Thanks!

A Volt Advisor told me today that they expect the PDI process to take one full day, and certainly the dealers will want to go slow on their very first unit.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With the flurry of deliveries starting today, just a reminder to get a copy / picture of the PDI form ...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Pre-Delivery Inspection - what is required?

Anyone know the specifics about this process? [Especially those who have already taken delivery?]
If already posted, please provide the link.

I just want to have open eyes when I take delivery and be assured that my dealer did all they are supposed to have done.
thanks,

·
Registered
211 Posts
Here is WopOnTour's posting from the "Tracking your Volt Order" thread ( http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?5110-Tracking-Your-Volt-Order&p=48894#post48894 ):

Now guys/gals let me say this.
(since so many of you appear to be "newbs" to the new car experience - no offence)

But your patience will likely again be tested once your Volt reaches your delivering dealership.
FYI GM has implemented a carefully planned pre-delivery routine and in-field quality assessment that permits your factory trained Volt technician to validate the functionality of most all of the Volt's operation and features, prior to you taking possession.

The cars are intentionally being shipped with only 2 gallons of premium fuel and a 40% SOC to permit the technician to test CS functionality and then confirm charging operations (also as protection in case of post-production storage periods) .
These technicians have also been requested to drive the Volt only the minimum number of miles to permit verifying most all modes of Volt operation. They are also requested to use the MDI/GDS scan tool to "reset" the lifetime fuel economy data at the completion of these tests so that the numbers will reflect those of the new owner only. The vehicle will then go for pre-delivery cleaning/detailing for a showroom appearance on delivery

So my point being that some of these processes will take a little time (usually no more than a day or two) once your Volt "lands" on dealer pavement.
So please be patient while you dealer performs these services with due diligence in order to insure your going to be 100% satisfied with your Volt and the delivery experience in general.

ENJOY ALL THAT IS VOLT!
(aka "Just Drive and Smile")

Regards
WopOnTour

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here is WopOnTour's posting from the "Tracking your Volt Order" thread
Thanks for that link!
Now I'm wondering whether anyone who has received delivery had an experience consistent with WopOnTour's description?

Did the dealership provide a completed checklist of all these PDI steps? Was the lifetime fuel economy data actually reset? Any other observations or lessons learned from the delivery process are welcome!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
My dealer today added that they're required to wait until GM's Regional Inspection Expert clears each car. I've not heard that before, and I've not seen evidence of that before in the speed of vehicle inspections holding up delivery to customers. Granted we here in California are the tail of the initial release and maybe they've rushed things through the initial customer deliveries...

Is my dealer confused, and the dealer factory trained technician's qualification and inspection all that's needed? Or is my sales manager correct, and a regional inspector's OK also needed?

·
Registered
273 Posts
My dealer today added that they're required to wait until GM's Regional Inspection Expert clears each car.
Who is your dealer and where? Mine is Rotolo, Fontana, CA. I will ask them about the process you describe above.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Who is your dealer and where? Mine is Rotolo, Fontana, CA. I will ask them about the process you describe above.
Bob Stall Chevrolet, La Mesa CA (So Cal). It was certainly news to me! You appear to be fast tracked (and good for you!). The rest of us are waiting for the So Cal Volt Express Train, hopefully pulling in to station early next week.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My dealer today added that they're required to wait until GM's Regional Inspection Expert clears each car. I've not heard that before, and I've not seen evidence of that before in the speed of vehicle inspections holding up delivery to customers. Granted we here in California are the tail of the initial release and maybe they've rushed things through the initial customer deliveries...

Is my dealer confused, and the dealer factory trained technician's qualification and inspection all that's needed? Or is my sales manager correct, and a regional inspector's OK also needed?
Same here in Texas. My Volt hits the ground in Austin this evening or tomorrow. My dealer said they are flying in a technician to do the Pre Delivery Inspection. I won't get the car until Tuesday or Wednesday. They will let me know on Monday morning when it will be ready. We also have a PR event that I don't have to attend but my car does, I hope this happens on Tuesday.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Dang it! I created a PDI thread two days ago in anticipation of this topic. I'll ask Lyle to merge :)

EDIT: done, threads merged.

·
Registered
418 Posts

My dealer here in Virginia told me yesterday that they have been instructed to drive the vehicle at least 25 miles and as many as 75 miles to be sure that all systems are working correctly. They got their first Volt on Wednesday and, if these are in fact the instructions from GM, I expect that everyone in the dealership will be driving it before the owner is allowed to take it home.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Dang it! I created a PDI thread two days ago in anticipation of this topic. I'll ask Lyle to merge :)
I think the difference here is the PDI thread said what needed to happen. The new news is that the dealership doesn't appear to have the final say, a regional preparation expert (prepspert) from GM has the sign off.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
There's actually 2 seperate processes involved here in most cases. The PDI is somewhat sperate from the "In-Field Quality Assessment" (IFQA)
My dealer here in Virginia told me yesterday that they have been instructed to drive the vehicle at least 25 miles and as many as 75 miles to be sure that all systems are working correctly. They got their first Volt on Wednesday and, if these are in fact the instructions from GM, I expect that everyone in the dealership will be driving it before the owner is allowed to take it home.
Sort of. The IFQA is what I was referring to previously as far as a detailed road test by a trained Volt technician. The in-house paperwork alerts the technician to check the existing odometer miles and NOT to put so many miles (up to 25 maximum) as to exceed 75 miles on the odometer. This clarification was neccessary as the number of miles on each Volt at departure from Hamtramck varies greatly depending on the extent of additional end-of-line quality tests.
HTH
WopOnTour

·
Administrator
359 Posts
My car arrived to the dealer with 75 miles, and they said they had to drive it an additional 25 miles before it could be delivered to me.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
My car arrived to the dealer with 75 miles, and they said they had to drive it an additional 25 miles before it could be delivered to me.
Hmmm well unfortunately someone didnt READ! In that rare occurance (already at 75) they really shouldn't have put on more than 4 miles, unless of course they were in direct communication with someone that had explicit instructionsfor YOUR particular car- since it was "special" ;)

In the end I don't believe this total miles business to become much of an issue though. The new Volt owners are certainly going to want this build quality assessment performed at the dealership level prior to accepting their Volt.
That way, little annoyances (such as your charge door fitment for instance) can be nipped in the bud and rectified BEFORE delivery.
Like I said there is paperwork recently electronically communicated to the dealer (over and above the PDI process) outlining specific items to verify and validate both in the service bay and on the road.

Certainly I'm pretty confident that YOU (Dr. Dennis) didnt have a problem with a few additional miles added to your car for these additional quality checks. Also keep in mind the sales paperwork records the mileage AFTER PDI/IFQA and thus becomes your official "in-service" oodometer reading for things like warranty coverage etc.
So other than the feeling of your Volt having "cheated" on you, it's pretty harmless
Enjoy your Volt Doc! (wish I had one....sniff!)
WopOnTour

·
Registered
434 Posts
I didn't think to get a PDI form, but I was a little surprised that my VIN63 had 56 miles on it when I picked up. However, I was treated to a fully charged battery and a full tank of gas. Ourisman in Bowie, Md was great to deal with!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Chuck!!!

So just one page? Just checking because the example I linked to above (for an SUV) was two pages.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts