GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm sure this is out there someplace in the past posts, but I couldn't find

I've looked over the settings and I don't see anything about how to make sure the seats come on during the pre-condition (or don't). In the past, I'm pretty certain that it has happened, but I don't know why.

Any solutions for that problem?

Also, if folks have other general suggestions on how to get the pre-condition settings for heat, fan, whatever, those are also welcome. I've noticed that the state of heating/cooling that you leave things at when you turn off tend to come back when you turn on. So, if I have things cranked really hot on MAX... that's what it does for pre-condition.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I believe there is a setting for this (Gen 2). I know that if the temp is below 41F, the heated seats come on automatically when the car starts. The strength of the heat depends on the outside temp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have mentioned that I have a Gen 2 Volt. I think I have seen that setting related to seats and it is turned on.

Recent mornings have been pretty cold, but I couldn't swear exactly how cold wherever the sensor is for the car. Maybe that's the factor I can't account for.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Do you precondition using the key fob or do you use the app or a website?

About five or six years ago there were a number of discussions on remote start on this forum. The various comments at that time suggested that a remote start with the key fob merely uses climate settings at whatever they were when you last turned off your car (so plan ahead for the morning and set them before you turn off the car, including any "auto" settings). A remote start via OnStar using the smartphone app (or the mychevy website), apparently, used the cabin temperature as a guide for climate settings used when starting the car.

I seem to recall comments have over time since then been posted debating whether or not such distinctions continue to apply.

Currently, the app text says: "Electric Preconditioning/Long Range Remote Start: During Long Range Remote Start on your vehicle: The climate control system will default to an appropriate heating or cooling mode...."

Whereas, the 2018 Volt owner manual says: "During remote start: The climate control system will typically default to the last climate setting. If the fan is off or if eco and MAX are not selected, the air conditioning or heat will turn on as needed... If equipped with heated seats, and the vehicle personalization setting is enabled, the remote start auto heated seats may also come on... If equipped the heated steering wheel may also come on... The rear window defogger will turn on during colder outside temperatures... Selecting [symbol for defrost] during colder outside temperatures before shutting the vehicle off will help windshield clearing... Shutting the vehicle off in eco mode without [symbol for defrost] selected will minimize the impact to electric range. Shutting the vehicle off in other modes will maximize heating or air conditioning."

The manual information refers to the fob, and doesn’t mention any app. The text covering Remote Start in the app says only "will default to an appropriate heating or cooling mode," which suggests something other than how the climate controls were set when you turned off the car, which suggests the choice of app vs fob determines what happens during preconditioning.

On the other hand, I recently came across in an old file a posting to this forum, possibly from 2015, from the OnStar advisor, who wrote: "Using the RemoteLink application to remotely start your vehicle does not change any of your climate control settings in the vehicle. Functionally, it is identical to using the remote start feature on your key fob. Only the method of delivering the remote start signal to the vehicle is different."

·
Registered
244 Posts
OP, let us know what year you have please. My 2017 has that option in the Settings.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Just so folks are aware, on our 16s there is no option to have the seats and steering wheel heat come on with preconditioning. Those have to be turned on manually upon a real start of the car. There are settings to have these turn on with preconditioning in our ‘18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
The Auto Heating option for the Heated Steering Wheel was introduced on the 2018 Volt Premier. The Auto Heated Seating option (for front seats only) is available on the 2017 Volt when equipped with heated seats.

If your Volt has heated seats this option is found under Settings=>Vehicle=>Climate and Air Quality=>Auto Heated Seats.

When using the MyChevrolet app to remote start the Volt there seems to be no fixed rule for how the Auto Heated Seats respond:

1st Remote Start while vehicle is plugged in and parked in my garage. After preconditioning ends, start the Volt using the Start button and the driver's seat heater activates, the rear defroster does not activate.

2nd Remote Start after Volt is parked outside for 1 hour, enter and start Volt using the Start Button before the 10 minute preconditioning cycle has ended. The driver's side heated seat does not activate but the passenger-side heated front seat activates (nothing is resting on the passenger seat to trigger the need to heat the seat.) About half of the time the rear window defroster activates. On occasion only the rear window defroster will activate.

Conclusion: The Volt's Auto Heated Seats algorithm has a drinking problem.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Just so folks know, you can set the seat and steering wheel to do this in an ‘18 LT too, which is what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm glad this question has been asked. My "remote start auto heated seats" option is selected but I swear it doesn't work. Unless it comes on at the absolute lowest setting, the seat is never warm when I get in the car. It's just one of those items I've thought about bringing up to the dealership but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll wait until my B2B is getting close to the end.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I'm glad this question has been asked. My "remote start auto heated seats" option is selected but I swear it doesn't work. Unless it comes on at the absolute lowest setting, the seat is never warm when I get in the car. It's just one of those items I've thought about bringing up to the dealership but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll wait until my B2B is getting close to the end.
The Automatic Heated (front seats only) seat heating function seem to be linked to the outside temperature, may be linked to the cabin HVAC settings and temperature setting. When you use the remote start what are the HVAC settings and cabin temperature setting?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Have you tried both methods of initiating a remote start (i.e., key fob vs app) to see if the key fob method will use the "remote start auto heated seats" selected option and the app method won’t?

If the "remote start auto heated seats" option has no "heat level" option, how does the remote start command know which heat level to use? Does it "default to the last climate setting," i.e., is it one of those settings you need to make before turning off the car and starting the overnight charge? Or, as jcanoe mentions, is it linked to the outside temperature?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'd make sure that the outside air temperature was low when I brought the car in for this. Otherwise, dealer is going to tell you "Could Not Duplicate". Just sayin'...

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Have you tried both methods of initiating a remote start (i.e., key fob vs app) to see if the key fob method will use the "remote start auto heated seats" selected option and the app method won’t?

If the "remote start auto heated seats" option has no "heat level" option, how does the remote start command know which heat level to use? Does it "default to the last climate setting," i.e., is it one of those settings you need to make before turning off the car and starting the overnight charge? Or, as jcanoe mentions, is it linked to the outside temperature?
When the Auto Heated seats function is set to ON anytime the Volt is powered on by pressing the Start button, key fob remote access functions or MyChevrolet app the front seat heaters can automatically come on at either the low, medium or high heat setting depending on the outside temperature. Each time the Volt is powered off the heated seats and heated steering wheel (if equipped) will be turned off. If you turn off the setting for the Auto Heated Seats then the driver's seat and front passenger seat heaters will not automatically be activated (regardless of the outside temperature) the next time the Volt is powered on.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a 2016 Volt. I precondition it almost every morning. Sometimes the heated seats come on and sometimes they don't. I haven't found a setting for controlling this. It could be related to outside temperature. The heated steering wheel doesn't come on. I wish it did.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The Automatic Heated (front seats only) seat heating function seem to be linked to the outside temperature, may be linked to the cabin HVAC settings and temperature setting. When you use the remote start what are the HVAC settings and cabin temperature setting?
I definitely think they are related to the outside temp. Reason being, when I had the thing installed to prevent erdtt my heated seats never came on automatically. As soon as I removed that and the outside temp read correctly, they worked as expected.

Seeing that the 18 and up allows remote start to turn on the heated steering wheel makes me wondering if there is an update for whatever module that controls this in my 17. Will have to do some looking...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
It never hurts to check the manual.

Seems that the manual for every model year Volt from 2012 to 2018 (I have no copy of the 2011 manual) says:

"Remote Start Auto Heated Seats: ...If the vehicle has auto heated seats, the seat heating level will automatically change to the level required by the vehicle's interior temperature when the vehicle is turned on.

The indicator lights on the heated seat buttons do not turn on during a remote start.

The temperature performance of an unoccupied seat may be reduced. This is normal.

The heated seats will not turn on during a remote start unless the heated seats feature is enabled in the vehicle personalization menu (the 2018 manual has shortened this to: "in vehicle personalization")."

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
In My 2013, I think the auto seats are tied to interior temperature rather than exterior temperature as wordptom's post seems to indicate. There have been times when the interior is warm and the exterior temperature display is cold and the auto seats do not come on.

Also note that there are two different settings for the heated seats. One to tie it to the HVAC auto setting, and one for remote start. Make sure you are setting the correct one.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
In My 2013, I think the auto seats are tied to interior temperature rather than exterior temperature as wordptom's post seems to indicate. There have been times when the interior is warm and the exterior temperature display is cold and the auto seats do not come on.

Also note that there are two different settings for the heated seats. One to tie it to the HVAC auto setting, and one for remote start. Make sure you are setting the correct one.
On the Gen 2 Volt there is only one setting for Auto Heated Seats; either ON or OFF. The Auto Heated seats can come on while the 10 or 20 minute preconditioning cycle is running.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
How long do the seats stay warm after pre-heating - I am not sure it is worth pre-heating the seats.

I use them all the time in winter after starting the car.

Guess- I could go find my old hot water bottle and sit on it to test ;-)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts