GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have issues plugging in accessories into their power socket? I have this LED flashlight that charges off my power socket that I've had in my last two cars but it won't charge in the Volt. It's too loose in the socket and same with my portable air pump as well.

Do they need a special adapters?

·
8,680 Posts
Anyone have issues plugging in accessories into their power socket? I have this LED flashlight that charges off my power socket that I've had in my last two cars but it won't charge in the Volt. It's too loose in the socket and same with my portable air pump as well.

Do they need a special adapters?
As far as I know, there's only one standard for former cigarette lighters. I've certainly been using several generic devices in my car without a problem.

Either your Volt has an issue or your adapters do. :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
There's two power sockets. One in the front of the console and one in the back. Both don't work? Did you try the tire pump that came with car?
Maybe the fuse is blown.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both front and back seat power sockets (the cigarette lighter outlet) are too big for the LED flash lights and the portable air pump. They've worked for my other cars, including my 2013 GMC truck as well.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The 12VDC accessory outlet (once known as the "cigarette lighter socket") should be a common size. But there is a way for the plug to fit tighter: bend the sider tangs outward with long-nose pliers slightly. Then try to fit the plug(s) into the outlet again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just tried the air pump that came with the volt. It works. Just sad to see I can't use my trusty old flash light anymore. It's 1 smooth tube so it doesn't have the side contacts the pumps and other accessories have

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Just tried the air pump that came with the volt. It works. Just sad to see I can't use my trusty old flash light anymore. It's 1 smooth tube so it doesn't have the side contacts the pumps and other accessories have
Are you certain that you aren't missing a sleeve of some sort? If not, make a pigtail adapter. You just need to find an outlet that fits the flashlight/pump and a standard plug that fits the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't had to do any modifications to the flashlight before.

It looks something like this (not this identical one)

At least I know the volt air pump works and it feels really snug. I might just go to Canadian tire to see if they sell a splitter with pigtails that gives me two outlets. Hopefully it can make up for the sizes

·
Registered
478 Posts
There are actually two sizes of 12v ports. The larger size is for sockets temperature rated for a lighter, the smaller for 12v-ONLY sockets so that a cigarette lighter wouldn't fit. That said, both sizes are out there and exist, with a max tolerance difference of .6mm

Size A: Receptacle inside diameter: 20.93 - 21.01 mm (median 20.97 mm), Plug body diameter: 20.73 - 20.88 mm (median 20.805 mm), Most often used in American automobiles
Size B: Receptacle inside diameter: 21.41 - 21.51 mm (median 21.455 mm), Plug body diameter: 21.13 - 21.33 mm (median 21.18 mm), Most often used in European automobiles, and sometimes as a second socket in American automobiles expressly for DC power connections.

I have several of those lights, they came with adapters to fit 'loose' sockets. I've needed them in some cars, not in others. In my Jeep, I needed one in the rear 12v socket, but not in the front one (?)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I haven't had to do any modifications to the flashlight before.

It looks something like this (not this identical one)

At least I know the volt air pump works and it feels really snug. I might just go to Canadian tire to see if they sell a splitter with pigtails that gives me two outlets. Hopefully it can make up for the sizes
Switch over to Milwaukee M12 Flashlights...I have them in all the farm vehicles and have quad chargers in the barns for replacement batteries...they last a long time...:)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Lutz loved his cigars... I wonder if Volt "lighter capable" power outlets are a carry over from when he was involved in the design of the 1st generation volt?

As a non-smoker but non-fanatic about it I find the anti-smoking propaganda fascinating. The idea that you can lie to people "for their own good" is taken to such outrageous heights by the "truth" campaign that I worry about them causing a backlash.

Keith

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Since the flashlight is smooth, and doesn't have the side tangs, try wrapping raw copper wire around it and fix it with a solder point for good conductivity and permanent attachement to its ring. This is cheaper and easier than buying a substitute flashlight or a pigtail.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I had a problem with socket depth in my old car (2001 Altima)... it was too shallow for a couple devices, but worked fine with most. I ended up buying a "12V aux" extension cable from radio shack. It actually ended up being a nicer installation, because that cable had a switch on it and was long enough I could hide the other devices under the passenger seat but still switch them on remotely (I was using a bluetooth adapter). Perhaps they make the same thing in the slightly different diameters that PilotAlan mentioned?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts