GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a major windstorm here 2 days ago (August 29). 33 hours into it I had been running our 3 fridges and the Internet from the back of my 2012 volt. I used a total of 3 liters of fuel, even helping the neighbors as well.
near the end of the outage my son was lamenting how his two twenty something friends and he couldn't fire up a TV and play their video games. I smiled and said, I could do that as well, if your friends are willing to admit that volts are better than audis. They come from a family where what the kids are seen driving reflects on the parents status in that "community". They howled and refused, but 5 minutes later they called me back and reluctantly admitted volts were better. I did a major smirking happy dance, and gave them some power.
Glad that I refused the software "fix" that shuts off the car very 40 minutes or whatever. Some of the surrounding neighborhoods won't get power till sept. 1 midnight. Be prepared with a pure sine wave inverter, oh and a Volt!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Did you have a special conversion kit or did you just tap off the 12v battery with a high wattage inverter?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just did that recently with the Leaf. Wife made coffee from the car power inverter and I told her how many miles it cost. Three, actually.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 1000 watt pure sine inverter. Alligator clamps to the back terminals. Car on.
There are "official kits" made by someone on this site, I think 1500 watts was max recommended.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Did you plug each fridge in one at a time to allow them to cool individually?

I think I need to get me one of those 1000 watt units. Might come in handy! I probably will need a longer extension cord as well.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I need to try this as well. We haven't had a power outage for more than a few minutes in about 7 years, but, when we did it was a day or so. I even have a handy sub-panel where the fridges, internet and main TVs are connected.

Is there a 240v inverter available?

·
Registered
627 Posts
They could have done the same with their Audis. Nothing special about the Volt other than if the battery is charged you dont need to run the gas engine. Ive run 1000W inverters all night with my Jeep idling in the driveway.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
They could have done the same with their Audis. Nothing special about the Volt other than if the battery is charged you dont need to run the gas engine. Ive run 1000W inverters all night with my Jeep idling in the driveway.
Well, if your car is in the garage it makes a BIG difference. We can run everything all night long. No worries. After a few days, we might need more juice. In that case, open up the garage and flip the Volt to Mountain Mode. Within 20 minutes, turn off Mountain Mode, and you have enough battery power to last another day or two.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Great story. Very funny. Should definitely get one of Clarkson's kits.

There is a simple way to bypass the auto turn off feature but I can't remember it at the moment.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Is this the evextend 1000W kit, or another model?

Would you mind sharing?
I've been keeping an eye on the CT pure sine model to go on sale for a decent price and might grab one when it does

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was running 2 fridges at a time, and switching every couple hours. Some fridges have a huge initial draw, so you have to figure that out and do that one first. After the initial draw, one drew 90 watts constant, the other drew 140 watts. The gauge and length of the extension cord really affects the result as well. I went next door and ran their deep freeze and fridge for 40 minutes. With a 10 gauge cord I could get past the initial draw, but with the 16 gauge he tried at first, it was a no go. The inverter wouldn't turn the fridges compressor over. Keep cords as short as possible and as thick as possible.

Did you plug each fridge in one at a time to allow them to cool individually?

I think I need to get me one of those 1000 watt units. Might come in handy! I probably will need a longer extension cord as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Canadian tire brand. Got a pair on sale for $199.00 each. That about $50 bucks U.S. Just kidding. Our dollar sucks right now.
Is this the evextend 1000W kit, or another model?

Would you mind sharing?
I've been keeping an eye on the CT pure sine model to go on sale for a decent price and might grab one when it does

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Thanks for a positive review of it working with the volt. Some people have mentioned the unusually high voltage doesn't play nice with some models.
Normal price is $300, but knowing CT, nothing is worth buying unless 30-50% off, lol.
I already bought fuse holders from walmart, to allow for extended operation, should it be necessary.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a simple way to bypass the auto turn off feature but I can't remember it at the moment.
Put it in Neutral. Have not tried it myself, but it should do the trick. Of course don't forget to apply the parking brake :).

·
4,877 Posts
Put it in Neutral. Have not tried it myself, but it should do the trick. Of course don't forget to apply the parking brake :).
I've also heard a rubber band to press & hold the shift lever button in does the trick.

·
4,877 Posts
Thanks for a positive review of it working with the volt. Some people have mentioned the unusually high voltage doesn't play nice with some models.
The safest approach is to use an inverter that is rated for higher DC Voltage inputs. There are some that are rated for over 16V, though they are a bit more expensive than many are willing to pay.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Will the $159 kit be good enough for two fridges at the same time or do I need the $399 one?
I guess I could just cycle between the fridges.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
We were extremely fortunate this time and never lost power here. Back when Stanley Park blew down in 2006 (the previous storm of similar proportions) we lost power for over 3 days. I have a 10kW generator that I lent to the in-laws in Mission, though they only needed it for about 8 hours.

I have a substantial amount of battery capacity available to me aside from my Volt, in the way of 100 golf carts. (Each cart is roughly 8kWh) Back in 2006 I actually ran my TV and satellite receiver off of golf cart batteries for most of the outage. I have numerous inverters and UPSs (the largest UPSs are 48V so they plug right into a golf cart)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts