GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
That looks like a nice little unit, however, I have not had good experience with inexpensive Chinese made volt and amp meters. One voltmeter I have in my radio shack measures 0.2V too low (and this is for monitoring a standby 12.5V battery bank). Another ammeter I purchased from there measured a much too low amp draw on all devices. I checked them with a professional Fluke meter and a less expensive VOM, both confirmed my findings.

If what you are measuring there is the amps and volts while charging your Volt I actually suspect both readings because I have never seen my household line voltage above about 238V and while fully charging my Volt it consumes about 16.5A at about 234V average for 3861 watts (the Volt charger is 3300 watts but efficiency is about 85% or so....).

Anyway, that is my $.02 worth - you might want to get a multimeter though to confirm at least the voltage...

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
That looks like a nice little unit, however, I have not had good experience with inexpensive Chinese made volt and amp meters. One voltmeter I have in my radio shack measures 0.2V too low (and this is for monitoring a standby 12.5V battery bank). Another ammeter I purchased from there measured a much too low amp draw on all devices. I checked them with a professional Fluke meter and a less expensive VOM, both confirmed my findings.

If what you are measuring there is the amps and volts while charging your Volt I actually suspect both readings because I have never seen my household line voltage above about 238V and while fully charging my Volt it consumes about 16.5A at about 234V average for 3861 watts (the Volt charger is 3300 watts but efficiency is about 85% or so....).

Anyway, that is my $.02 worth - you might want to get a multimeter though to confirm at least the voltage...
He is using the stock EVSE with a 240V plug adapter but the EVSE is still limited to 12 amps.

·
Registered
419 Posts
AShh, yes that makes sense now - had not thought of that - no wonder its only 12A. However, I would still question the 243V value being displayed...

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
AShh, yes that makes sense now - had not thought of that - no wonder its only 12A. However, I would still question the 243V value being displayed...
Until I recently retired the APC UPS I could display a real-time readout of the 120V power in my home; 121 - 123V was the norm so for a 230V circuit 243V would be expected.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The other day at work I was surprised to measure 246 volts on our building power.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
well it does take a mean square root to get 120 Volts ac.
Some of the low cost units my round the roots.

the idea is to have a number for AC to relate to what a DC voltage would be to have a toster ( heat ) work the same.

The interesting thing would be how the current value it measured.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts