GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning was the first time I came to work plugged in my 110V into a outside plug that was attached to a lamp post.

Besides being VERY VERY nervous I got a good charge for the most part....

Using the OnStar App...WHICH I HATE WITH A PASSION!!! The progress of the charge wouldn't update anymore said I had to drive the car... Now I have ran I ran into this issue before several times but since I was so nervous I went outside to make sure nothing fishy was going on.

When I started to get closer to the car I heard a low beeping noise not a alarm but a very low noise. When I got to the car everything was plugged in but the power was cut to the lamp posts because of the time of day and it was getting lighter outside so the lamps were not needed anymore. I wasn't aware that the whole post + the outlets would turn off...

So 2 questions

1. Does everyone have a problem with the OnStar App giving you issues updating the status of your car? I have never received no txt or emails from the "Charger Interruption" feature.

2. The noise is that normal when the power is shut off?

Thanks

PS I will not be doing no more charging at work way to risky!!! I'm not in the mood to shell out for a new 110v charger for GM when I turn it back in.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Your car is operating normally. There is no reason to fear damage from having the power turned off while charging. Since those lamp posts were sized for lighting, I would be more nervous that my car was going to melt down wiring inside the posts. Depending on how much power the string of lamps is pulling, you might get very close to max power for the circuit. Charging at work is great, but it should always be done from a known good outlet on a dedicated circuit. If you need the charge to make it home on electricity, offer to pay for an electrician to install a proper outlet. You will eventually recoup the cost by avoiding gasoline. If you don't need the charge, don't worry about it and just charge at home.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Good advice from Ron in Omaha. In addition, the noise (?) may be the chirp-chirp that the Volt uses to let you know that power has been interrupted.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I suggest that you ask the building's facilities manager if it is ok to charge at the lamps, He/She will likely know more about the wiring, and may be able to adjust the lamp timing for you if you are nice enough to them... Charging at 1000 watts instead of 1500 will help if there is a wiring limitation.

The onstar limits itself to 10 communication cycle with the vehicle between driving cycles and 10 per day. I think this as something to do with the 12Volt battery limitations. My first day I was checking charge status every half hour and ran into this, but haven't since. Also There was a problem with the onstar app notifications for several weeks, which just now appears to have been fixed. you have to turn all your notifications off, wait a day , and the turn the ones you want back on (on your app) and they should come back. The web browser interface is still not working correctly for all functions as near as I can tell. I hope they are working on it, since this information is the only thing that I use onstar for.

the volt has different noises for many different events. it is trying to communicate with you. some days it is more communicative than my teenager....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the volt has different noises for many different events. it is trying to communicate with you. some days it is more communicative than my teenager....
HAHA Love it!

Yea I'm not going to charge anymore from work I can make it back and forth with a full charge just thought I would try it out...

Did anyone hear of this on the news????... Yea no chance will I ever charge in public again without permission!!

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/theft-power-lands-electric-car-driver-jail-f2D11694914

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Did anyone hear of this on the news????... Yea no chance will I ever charge in public again without permission!!

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/theft-power-lands-electric-car-driver-jail-f2D11694914
It's been discussed here a few times:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?91417-quot-Let-Us-Hold-Our-Heads-High-And-Politely-Persuade-Our-Way-There.-quot-Kaveh-Kamooneh
http://gm-volt.com/2013/12/04/holding-steady-plug-ins-see-progress/ (Comment #72)

The perpetrator, Kaveh Kamooneh, was already considered a trespasser on the school grounds. Since he did not have a child attending there, he had no business being there. The electric car charging incident looks like it was just a convenient opportunity to prosecute.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts