GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been thinking about purchasing a late gen 1 volt. I am very curious as to any well known issues what potential problems I may face I plan on driving to at least 100K before Trading any insight hints tips tricks Etc would be greatly appreciated thank you

·
Registered
159 Posts
Go to the "top" of the Gen 1 Forum ( http://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?16-Generation-1-Volt-(2011-2015) ) then start reading. Read the stickies, just keep reading.

I've had my volt since 31 Aug of this year and I'm still finding info about potential issues, like straight line steering stick at highway speeds ( http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?267017-Steering-TSB-for-steering-problem-on-highway ) which I've noticed on my car; fortunately it's covered by an extended 10 year warranty.

Overall I'm VERY happy with my purchase. My daily commute is less than 30 miles so this car is perfect, even in the winter when the electric range is reduced.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Keith's advice is solid. With that said, Gen 1 is extremely reliable overall. At the time, GM needed a halo car for the "new GM" and the Volt was it. Given the need to get really good press, it was over engineered for readability and durability. You often see the phrase "belt and suspenders approach" used here to talk about the over engineering to ensure reliability. Even better, the drive train is warrantied to 100K miles, so that should give you peace of mind.

There are only a small number of issues, most of which are minor, and those vary year-to-year. There are a small handful of formal recalls and a few service bulletins (like the steering software update) that are all well documented and fixed for free at the dealer. The only thing approaching major was a transmission bearing in a small number of pre-2013 Volts and even that was fixed pretty easily under warranty. Most Volts require a torquing of the front axel bolts around 75K miles ($40-$80). There is a sensor that can go bad requiring the computer to be reflashed at the dealer (prevented with the WOTs COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR / SERVICE post). The lower radiator was prone to puncture from small road debris (prevented with the VoltScreen). Some pre-2013's had issues with center stack reboots or infotainment reboots. There's a lot of general moaning about Engine Running Due to Temperature (ERDTT), the Triple Honk Warning, and an auto shutdown during periods of extended idling (90+ minutes), but those are all little nags with known workarounds.

I'm at 89K on my 2014 and never had anything more than routine maintenance since I purchased it new. I've owned Toyotas, Hondas, and a lot of other vehicles and the Volt is the most mechanically reliable car I've ever owned. It's an exceptional used car buy.

Edit: Oh, some early models had issues with electric heat. Forgot to add that above.

·
Administrator
20,339 Posts
My 2011 is rock solid. Best car I have owned. $236 in maintenance and repairs in 6-1/3 years, 95k miles.

·
Registered
71 Posts
2013 have a little more battery capacity and 2015 even more.

Other than that I have no advise without more data, daily commute, yearly commutes, location, charging opportunities, etc

·
Registered
417 Posts
Keith's advice is solid. With that said, Gen 1 is extremely reliable overall. At the time, GM needed a halo car for the "new GM" and the Volt was it. Given the need to get really good press, it was over engineered for readability and durability. You often see the phrase "belt and suspenders approach" used here to talk about the over engineering to ensure reliability. Even better, the drive train is warrantied to 100K miles, so that should give you peace of mind.

There are only a small number of issues, most of which are minor, and those vary year-to-year. There are a small handful of formal recalls and a few service bulletins (like the steering software update) that are all well documented and fixed for free at the dealer. The only thing approaching major was a transmission bearing in a small number of pre-2013 Volts and even that was fixed pretty easily under warranty. Most Volts require a torquing of the front axel bolts around 75K miles ($40-$80). There is a sensor that can go bad requiring the computer to be reflashed at the dealer (prevented with the WOTs COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR / SERVICE post). The lower radiator was prone to puncture from small road debris (prevented with the VoltScreen). Some pre-2013's had issues with center stack reboots or infotainment reboots. There's a lot of general moaning about Engine Running Due to Temperature (ERDTT), the Triple Honk Warning, and an auto shutdown during periods of extended idling (90+ minutes), but those are all little nags with known workarounds.

I'm at 89K on my 2014 and never had anything more than routine maintenance since I purchased it new. I've owned Toyotas, Hondas, and a lot of other vehicles and the Volt is the most mechanically reliable car I've ever owned. It's an exceptional used car buy.

Edit: Oh, some early models had issues with electric heat. For got to add that above.
This ^^^^^^^
Quit sitting on the fence and buy a 2014+ :)
I've had mine since April 2017 and haven't looked back.............best car I've ever owned :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
2013 and up received the HOLD mode in addition to battery capacity bumps. I bought my 2013 used at 36k miles and didn't have a problem until 55k miles. The dealer had to replace the driver side front drive axle. It was replaced under the powertrain warranty. Other than that it was a trouble-free car. That said, my wife just traded it in for an ICE crossover because she hates the Earth I guess. IDK, I tried to talk her out of it. I still have the 2016 model and I don't plan on trading it unless it is for a full BEV. Hoping the new Buick version of the Bolt will have all the goodies that Chevy left out of the Bolt.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My '15 is my second Volt (my wife has a gen 2) and has been fantastic. I do highly recommend.

Oh, and I know of a beautiful '15 Ashen Gray Metallic Volt with all the bells and whistles with not quite 18 k miles for sale until the day after Christmas. :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have recently been thinking about purchasing a late gen 1 volt. I am very curious as to any well known issues what potential problems I may face I plan on driving to at least 100K before Trading any insight hints tips tricks Etc would be greatly appreciated thank you
Also, give it an extended test drive in HOLD mode to ensure proper engine performance. Better yet, if the battery is dead, switch to MOUNTAIN mode so that the engine will charge the battery enough to let you drive in EV mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts