GM Volt Forum banner
121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Wow you did a good job on the car! Also interested in wheel specs and if you did any lowering!
As a gen1 owner i’m certain this car was definitely lowered. There’s no way the wheels would be tucked in that far if it wasn’t lowered

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here's my winter set up.
Raceline 17X7.5 via eBay.

The tires are General Altimax Arctic 225/55/17

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet Chevrolet volt

·
Registered
65 Posts
Come on guys, post the full size pics.....

Click-throughs are especially bothersome. Spare us the extra cookies.
Hahahahaha, I got lectured on another forum for posting “full size” blah, blah, yada, yada....... makes them too hard to view. Buncha whiny-butts

Nice set up guys! By chance what is the affect on efficiency does the larger tire size affect your car? My OEM’s are needing replacement and was thinking of a different set-up.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nice set up guys! By chance what is the affect on efficiency does the larger tire size affect your car? My OEM’s are needing replacement and was thinking of a different set-up.
The snows definitely decrease economy, but only slightly.. When the temps are closer to 40-45 degrees, my commute averages 40-41 mpg. I've driven in as cold as 19 degrees so far, and I've averaged 32-33 MPG.
Range on the battery is obviously less, so I only use the battery for city driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Volt on ELR wheels

While not exactly aftermarket here is my 2013 Volt with 2014 Cadillac ELR 20's and 245/40/R20. Yes they fit barely. I modified the spring perch slightly on the front (read bent slightly up). I got the rim and tires as a set, so until they wear out I will be choosing a slightly smaller tire next time. I was thinking of swapping in a set of ELR struts as they clear but they are electronically controlled....hmmmm.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Full-size car

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
We now have 4 Volts and 4 drivers (2 teenagers). We got this 2012 in September. I wanted to try something different.
Specs:
Rims: Hyundai Genesis Coupe 5x114.3
F: 18x7.5 offset 32 - R: 18x8 offset 30

Tires: Goodyear MaxLife 225/45/r18

Hub: bored to 70.3

Lugnuts: PCD variable (wobble nuts) M12 x 1.5
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet volt Chevrolet
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Chevrolet volt
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet volt Sedan
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Chevrolet Chevrolet volt

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Cool! I like 'em! How did you bore the hubs, and what did that cost? Where did you find the VOLT center caps?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Cool! I like 'em! How did you bore the hubs, and what did that cost? Where did you find the VOLT center caps?
I bought the wheels on craigslist for $25 each. I found a local machine shop that bored the center for the hub. They charged $25 for each wheel. So I had $200 total investment.

I did have to buy new lugnuts just to be safe to have the 114.3 to fit properly without stress. I purchased PCD variable lugnuts or wobble nuts. That was about $65.

The Volt center cap I made by pulling off the metal Hyundai logo and using vinyl looking carbon fiber to recover and vinyl letters. I then used clear coat over that. Not sure how long it will last but turned out better than I thought.

The guy I purchased the wheels from had plastidip covering them so they were in excellent condition.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I bought the wheels on craigslist for $25 each. I found a local machine shop that bored the center for the hub. They charged $25 for each wheel. So I had $200 total investment.

I did have to buy new lugnuts just to be safe to have the 114.3 to fit properly without stress. I purchased PCD variable lugnuts or wobble nuts. That was about $65.

The Volt center cap I made by pulling off the metal Hyundai logo and using vinyl looking carbon fiber to recover and vinyl letters. I then used clear coat over that. Not sure how long it will last but turned out better than I thought.

The guy I purchased the wheels from had plastidip covering them so they were in excellent condition.
Nicely done! I'm not familiar with wobble nuts, can you explain what they are?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Nicely done! I'm not familiar with wobble nuts, can you explain what they are?
Alloy wheel PCD variable lug nuts (slang wobble nuts) allow you to change the PCD of some alloy wheels. The variable nuts can allow you to interchange wheels like below:

- 5x110 PCD alloy wheels onto a vehicle with a 5x112 PCD or vice-versa
- 5x112 PCD alloy wheels onto a vehicle with a 5x114.3 PCD or vice-versa
- 5x114.3 PCD alloy wheels onto a vehicle with a 5x115 PCD or vice-versa

In general, it will allow you to interchange up to about 2.5 mm variance. However, they are not made to go beyond that.

What makes it work is the tapering portion of the nut functions like a washer so its 2 parts. It moves on the actual nut. In other words, a washer that can wobble. That is where the "Wobble nut" moniker comes from. Not because they make the wheels wobble. The cone, by virtue of being movable, aligns to the cone in the bolt hole, thus ensuring that the clamp force is evenly distributed across the circumference of the hole. The cone washer has "wobbled" enough to fit correctly. This is actually far safer than using OE bolts with non-standard PCD alloys.

Automotive tire Product Nut Tire Wheel

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2020 Bolt
58 Posts
20x8.5 forged TSW Geneva, 5x114.3 +40mm offset. 225/35-20 Toyo Extensa HP II tires. Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs:

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2020 Bolt
58 Posts
The Volt is 5x115. But you can easily use 5x114.3 on it, even with stock lug nuts, as the difference is only 0.35mm per bolt hole (yes, a mere 1/3 of a millimeter!) I used wobble nuts to do it, as they can accommodate up to 2mm of difference. But a lot of people have done the 5x114.3 bolt patern as that's a common aftermarket bolt pattern. So long as you have hub centric rings to make the bore locate the wheel, then the lug nuts merely clamp. If you look up at post #130, he did the same thing, but with Hyundai 5x114.3 wheels.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts