GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time posting, this is a wonderful forum you guys have going on here. I am the proud owner of 2013 Volt. I was wondering if I would be able to install 2014 Cadillac ELR rims and tires on my vehicle? The specs of the set are as follows: 20x8.5, 245/40R20 offset 41. As from what I read the bolt pattern (5x115) is the same and I know that I will loose some of my range, but I really like the style of the rims and would like to have them on my Volt. Basically, I want to know if these tires and offset (ELR 41, Volt 38) will clear the suspension, especially the front? And if it will rub at all? Thank in advance for any advice that can be given.

Deo

·
Registered
589 Posts
Those 20 inch rims will probably have a negative effect on your ride quality. (The ELR has a an upgraded suspension.) And they may impart a decidedly donkish look to a gen 1 Volt.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Those ELR tires will be 1.4" larger diameter, so IF they do fit, your speedometer and odometer will be about 5% off.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
You might consider looking at Cadillac CTS wheels between 2004 and 2008. Those have the same bolt pattern. I luckily already own a CTS, so my snow tires that I bought for the volt could be bolted right onto the CTS.

I wonder if I put the CTS wheels on the volt and replace the badges whether I'd fool anyone into thinking this was a caddy? It brings back bad memories of the dark times when GM rebadged a Chevy Citation into the Cadillac Cimarron.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
As noted the ELR tires have a larger diameter and will rub the inner fender wells in hard turns and bottom out easier. I use 20" MRR wheels with the correct bolt pattern and offset and 235 35 20 tires for this reason and they make a huge positive difference in how the car handles for me. But you will loose about 15% mileage vs the stock tires.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
they will work, just keep an eye on the 2 coolant tubes by the frame rail in the forward part of the the right front wheel house. if the tire rubs them when you turn the wheels to left lock move the coolant tubes inboard so they are clear. they run to the battery and back..... you do not want to damage them. other than that don't worry about the tires rubbing the plastic liners.... there is nothing else to hurt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was away for a couple days. Thank you for all the great advice guys. Ill let you know how it goes if I pull the trigger on the wheel set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chevy Volt Compact Spare Spec Question

Eric.. spotted this and was hoping I could also pick your brain on another volt tire question. As you probably know the volts do not include a spare of any kind. I want to purchase a new or used compact spare(doughnut) for my 2012. I saw something about Caddy CTS doughnuts working. Would you happen to know what spec info I need to verify to make sure if I locate something online it will fit(obviously for temporary use)?? Much appreciated Dave (oddly enough I am "down the street" dthakoor ... aka ...the guy with the strange ideas..lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Volt on ELR wheels

Here is mine on ELR wheels and tires. I had to modify the spring perch slightly up about 1/8 of an inch. Everything else clears. I will add a custom bowtie to the wheel center cap.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts