GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
Your above changes would be too costly engineering and design wise for a MY18 refresh. For MY19? Maybe.
I don't think 1 or 2 would be more costly than what you are suggesting,
likely a lot less costly since they could be a bolt on change.
For example, if the Bolt cells were used but capacity kept the same in the volt you would see a weight reduction?
Aero could be improved with a few simple bolt ons as well.

I think car companies like to exaggerate how hard it is to put on an air dam or belly pan.

I still think adding the Malibu's heat recovery system to the ICE would require significant reorganizing of the engine compartment, possibly the exhaust. Battery cells can always be purchased in different form factors with minimal change to pack's performance characteristics. So given the individual cells of the Bolt are physically different, I'm guessing LG Chem can reform them into the plates used in the T-shaped battery pack in the Volt. So literally, there is no need to modify the receiver of the battery pack.

Of course, what I'm describing is not a model year update and more an add-on or drop-in replacement of the existing MY16/17 battery pack.

Though I do l like where you're going with #2 w/r saving weight using the Bolt's battery chemistry in the Volt to reduce space and weight but maintaining existing Volt range of 18.4 kWh (14 kWh usable). I wonder if it could give us some space back in the rear. Even if we could lower the rear seat by an inch or two that'd make the back much more comfortable for taller people (5'8" and up). As it is, transporting a coworker who was 5'10", I noticed his head was brushing the hatchback hinge and I worried the slightest pothole or bump would injure him. I warned him appropriately and he tilted his head forward to avoid any head crushing.

Course, lowering the back an inch or two might make sitting uncomfortable since you're almost squatting in the back.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.