GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love my Volt and the fact that it uses so little gasoline. I would love to see an option from the GM factory to have the Volt be a switchable fuel vehicle. If the ICE were setup to run on CNG in addition to gasoline (not difficult from what I've read), a large percentage of Volt owners who today run on gasoline regularly due to long commutes, could offset those gasoline miles with CNG miles.

My ideal Volt would use gasoline only as the last of three energy alternatives. First of course, is the traction battery for ~35 miles, second would be the ICE running on clean CNG for the next ~100 miles, and lastly ICE running on gasoline for the last ~100 miles if needed.

Drop the 9 gallon gasoline tank for a 3 gallon gasoline tank to make room for the CNG storage.

A typical commuter use case (average less than 50 miles/day) : Charge battery daily, fill CNG tank at your city's one or two CNG stations when it does get low/empty, and lastly leave 1 gallon of gasoline in the tank for emergency miles. (Likely weeks or months between CNG fill up and gasoline usage only on long trips.)

A heavy miles commuter use case (average 50 to 100 miles/day) : Charge battery daily, fill CNG tank in your garage via home NG hookup, and lastly leave 1 gallon of gasoline in the tank for emergency miles. (Only buy gasoline when traveling on long trips.)

Road trip use case : Leave home with full battery charge, full CNG tank, and full (3 gallon) gasoline tank. You can drive 200 miles on your supply of battery, CNG, and 2 gallons of gasoline then stop and refill gasoline tank every 80 miles for as long as necessary to get to your destination. Gas stations are everywhere and buying a small amount of gasoline every 80 miles when traveling across long distances would be fine with me (and a lot of other Volt owners, I imagine) knowing that my car runs on nearly 100% domestically sourced energy. Most folks know that natural gas is much cheaper per mile than gasoline and it is cleaner too.

Honda's CNG powered Civic is a clean machine too but it has the obvious limitations of CNG supply while traveling long distances.

If the Volt could adopt to be an EREV powered by CNG, it would win the hearts of even more fans and take any market for the Honda's vehicle too.

The Volt is an amazing, flexible, efficient vehicle. Let's take it to the next level. GM could provide this switchable fuel solution at a reasonable cost from the factory. GM may not try this, but I hope to see some of the CNG conversion kit makers build a kit for the Volt.

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The Volt is an amazing, flexible, efficient vehicle. Let's take it to the next level. GM could provide this switchable fuel solution at a reasonable cost from the factory. GM may not try this, but I hope to see some of the CNG conversion kit makers build a kit for the Volt.

Cheers,
My sister ownes one of those honda CNG cars. You get significantly less range out of CNG. Her car only goes about 120 miles on 8 gallons of CNG. The cylindrical tank also fills half of her trunk space. Considering the limited space in a Volt to put a CNG tank I believe the CNG range would only be 50 miles. This would reduce the Volt's total range to about 100 miles.

Also... If you move to California... Your Volt will be charging from power that is generated from 56% natural gas anyways. The rest comes from other greener sources. (Hydro-electric, Geo-Thermal, Wind, Solar, Atomic... )

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
If you are going to reduce the gas tank to 3 gal., why not just increase the battery pack capacity instead of making it more complicated by adding CNG. I'm not a big fan of the thought of adding a compressed flamible gas container to anything, let alone a car. I still remember coming upon a CNG shuttle van near the airport that was totally engulfed in flames. It sounded like the worlds largest blow torch and you just didn't want to get very close to it - like maybe 5 miles away.

Aftermarket conversion kit makers are something to avoid in my opinion. When the car-b-que happens, they file for bankrupcy in a heartbeat. Sorry they don't exist anymore, there is no one to talk to, no one to hold accountable.

Cleaner burning? - Yes, Safer? - Not worth the risk.

VIN # B0985

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
CNG takes up considerable space so packaging would be a very big problem. E85 would make more sense.

·
8,680 Posts
I'd hate to have that car! Only 80 miles of extended range, which in practice means filling every fifty to sixty miles - almost like quick charging a Leaf. Actually I'd rather have another five gallons in this car for the ideal road trip car - the fillups are already too quick at higher speeds. My Jetta could do 800 highway miles on a good day without trying hard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts