GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - I ran into a situation where a public long-term airport lot is providing numerous GFI 120 Volt plugs, but they are a few feet off the ground and the weight of my Gen1 EVSE is too much to hang for a week while I am gone (not to mention generally not being a good idea to hang from a plug). I did see one or two Gen2 Volts and some Teslas charging, but their EVSE seemed to present less of an issue.

I'm wondering if there is a cheap stable small stool or table or something where I can hang the Gen1 EVSE and take the weight off. Does anyone recommend anything? I guess I'll take a look later on Amazon.

Yes, I did speak to the airport personnel about hanging some hooks, and provided them with a picture from GM-Volt.com, but I'm not sure if they'll pursue it.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
It might be easier to suspend/hang the evse box using some cord. If the outlets are in surface mount boxes or there is otherwise something to connect to, this should be possible as well as portable and adaptable. If I needed to bring a structure with me, instead of a stool or table, I would make something like a bipod out of PVC or sticks and suspend it from that. It would take up less room in the car.

Another thing you might want to consider is securing the EVSE against theft.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pretty sure a stop at Wal-Mart would find something. Better yet, find a crafty shop and purchase locally. They might even build one for you. Another option is someone with a Laser or CNC (lots around Phoenix) could cut you one in quick order. You would need to know what height you wanted it to be.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I would be worried about the EVSE growing legs and walking away while you're gone. I would use a short extension cord and put the EVSE inside the car with just the cord and the J-1772 connector outside . . . . and then, lock the car

Don

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
If you are going to leave the Volt plugged in for days at a time secure the EVSE by passing a loop of the charging cord through the front left wheel and attach a padlock to the loop.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Here's what I did at work. I took a scrap piece of aluminum strip and bent it into a crude "S" shape. It fits over the outlet box and provides a hook for the EVSE:

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's what I did at work. I took a scrap piece of aluminum strip and bent it into a crude "S" shape. It fits over the outlet box and provides a hook for the EVSE:
very interesting to see what folks have come up with, I'll have to think on it. Unfortunately, the place I have in mind is an airport lot 160 miles away, and I'll only be going through there once in awhile, so I won't be able to do frequent testing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It might be easier to suspend/hang the evse box using some cord. If the outlets are in surface mount boxes or there is otherwise something to connect to, this should be possible as well as portable and adaptable. If I needed to bring a structure with me, instead of a stool or table, I would make something like a bipod out of PVC or sticks and suspend it from that. It would take up less room in the car.

Another thing you might want to consider is securing the EVSE against theft.
Thanks, the cord is another good idea, though I'll have to think on the spot since the lot is so far away. I may bring both a small table and a cord.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good ideas from all, thanks.

Still not sure what I'll do, but probably some sort of small side table or chair, perhaps combined with a lock as suggested. I did notice some Gen2 Volt and Tesla drivers parking at this garage, and they didn't seem to be locking their equipment down, but maybe they had their EVSE alarms on. I'm concerned actually about being away for a week or more and having the alarm go off and my not being there. The solution to this is to use the garage with the Valet and charging service across the street which has a good rep, apparently, but I'm thinking still to try to support this one garage that has put forth a good amount of L1 GFI circuits for EV drivers to use. Maybe eventually I can get them to install hard-wired L1 J1772 and some of my concerns would be reduced.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If the wall near the outlet is wood or the outlet is mounted on a wooden post, you could screw a single pan head screw into it and the EVSE mounting holes would hook onto that. It would still be there the next time you return if you get the same spot. It could also help other drivers in the mean time.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I would be worried about the EVSE growing legs and walking away while you're gone. I would use a short extension cord and put the EVSE inside the car with just the cord and the J-1772 connector outside . . . . and then, lock the car

Don
This - I actually carry a 40ft 12 gauge 3 wire outdoor rated extension cord. I use it in this type of situation even when my EVSE is long enough to reach.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Just a reminder that wile some owners use extension cords, using them goes against the owner's manual recommendation. You also might be placing a potential failure point (the connection between the extension cord and the EVSE plug) inside your car. Worst case scenario is it overheats and sets your car on fire. Not worth a free charge. You could be careful and hang that failure point outside the rear hatch, but then it would still be laying against the combustible plastic bumper cover.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Some times, I use a coat hanger. You can shape them to fit the need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts