GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know if anyone had a solution to securing the portable cord from theft so I came up with my own. I have posted some shots.

I will also have a laminated sign tie wrapped warning that unplugging it (from the car or the wall [lie]) will set off the alarm.

Oh, and I did use plastic coated 1/8" stainless steel cable. I just used electrical tape on any part that could scratch paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I don't know if anyone had a solution to securing the portable cord from theft so I came up with my own. I have posted some shots.
See this thread on locking up at a hotel for some more ideas. In your arrangement, what's to keep the perp from unlooping the cable from the side view mirror, or unthreading the loop around the cord?

Yeah it'll honk when someone rips off the cord, but does that really do you any good if you're not near the car?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
See this thread on locking up at a hotel for some more ideas. In your arrangement, what's to keep the perp from unlooping the cable from the side view mirror, or unthreading the loop around the cord?
The top loop is too small for the lock to fit through so even if you remove the plug from the car, you can't get nearly enough slack to slide it over the mirror. In fact, I measured it would need over a foot of slack to fit over the rather large mirror housing. I used crimp locks to secure the loops so the short section attached to the plug cord will not come off unless you took a grinder to the crimp. Short of using power tools or breaking the mirror off, you can't remove this very easily. Oh, and it cost under $10 with the plastic covered, weather protected lock!

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Nicely done. Sometimes you just need enough to keep the 'honest' people 'honest'. The dishonest folks, however, will possibly snap your mirror off as the fastest way to take it. I only charge at home currently...I can use a little gas if needed.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Yea, I would feel a lot better about the cable hooking around a wheel spoke instead of the mirror. It's almost a fun challenge for them to break your mirror.

Nicely done. Sometimes you just need enough to keep the 'honest' people 'honest'. The dishonest folks, however, will possibly snap your mirror off as the fastest way to take it. I only charge at home currently...I can use a little gas if needed.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't thing that most theves bother to read warning signs, and the ones that do might be crafty enough to use that information to ther advantage. The good part of this Idea is that it will at least slow them down and when the horn sounds most will run and leave the charger behind. However if no one responds to the alarm they may come back later, better equiped, to get it.

The sad fact is that one of the major buyers of stolen car parts are the car insurence companys, by requiring the car repair shops to purchase used parts when available.

There cant be much of a demand for Volt chargers right now, unless the thieves can take enough of them to create a market for them.

A warning to thoes who purchase stolen goods, the thieves know who bought them and then know where to look for more to steel, I have herd of people purchsing "used" car radios only to have them stolen a month or so later.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
This is another reason for more public or private charging stations. I charged today at the upscale Fashion Island and there were no problems. Eating at P.F. Chang's, I was able to view the Volt. No one was even noticing the vehicle with the charge cord connected.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Exactly. I mainly wanted to do this to so someone could not simply walk away with the cord. If it was just a cheap extension cord, fine but not this one! I park at the airport quite often and there are a couple of places where I can plug in while out of town (in winter, diesel trucks with block heater do!) so this rig makes me feel better that the cord might not develop legs.

·
Administrator
22,794 Posts
As neither are theft proof (just deterrents), I like the wheel attachment variation because it's less likely to cause damage.

Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Rim Automotive tire
Wheel Alloy wheel Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system

I can see the mirror potentially getting snapped off or the black finish marred. The other option I have seen discussed is to simply roll the front tire over the cord. $0. :) But could squeezing the cord between tire and pavement cause wear on the cord?

·
Registered
452 Posts
The other option I have seen discussed is to simply roll the front tire over the cord. $0. :) But could squeezing the cord between tire and pavement cause wear on the cord?
I've done this a few times. No cord damage (yet!)

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would recommend GM build the cord so that once plugged into your Volt you put a special key into the top of the connector and lock it. It could be "locked" with a special button on the key fob also. This would "lock" the charge cord to the Volt and prevent someone from easily removing it from the Volt. Should be a simple fix to the charge cord connector and car using metal bars that slide out or rotate outward in the connector and into metal slots in the car's charge port. Some of you engineers at GM can run with my idea if you want. Just give me some credit for the idea. I can go into further details about my idea if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I would recommend GM build the cord so that once plugged into your Volt you put a special key into the top of the connector and lock it.
Already covered by the SAE 1772 standard:

8.3.6 Unauthorized Access – For unattended public access charging, the coupler should provide a means to engage a locking or latching mechanism to reduce the likelihood of tampering or unauthorized removal
IIRC the Leaf locks its cord when the doors are locked. I don't know why GM didn't choose to lock the cord.

I think it was a mistake to not do so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Padlock Method: I wrap a loop of the supply cord around a wheel spoke and then padlock the end of the loop to the cord itself. The remaining space under the hasp of the padlock is way too small to allow a thief to slide the J1772 connector back through. The only downside I see so far is that this makes the Charge Cord effectively shorter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I even sugguested that we use a cord cover like what is used in an office to protect it some from the tire. Or the other big suggestion was to keep the charger in the car and run the plug to the charging port and an extention cord to a plug out the window. I would rather use gas than to have to keep all of that stuff in the car.

As neither are theft proof (just deterrents), I like the wheel attachment variation because it's less likely to cause damage. I can see the mirror potentially getting snapped off or the black finish marred. The other option I have seen discussed is to simply roll the front tire over the cord. $0. :) But could squeezing the cord between tire and pavement cause wear on the cord?

·
Registered
970 Posts
$5 anti-theft cable lock DIY solution for portable EVSE

Yea, I would feel a lot better about the cable hooking around a wheel spoke instead of the mirror. It's almost a fun challenge for them to break your mirror.
As neither are theft proof (just deterrents), I like the wheel attachment variation because it's less likely to cause damage. I can see the mirror potentially getting snapped off or the black finish marred. The other option I have seen discussed is to simply roll the front tire over the cord. $0. :) But could squeezing the cord between tire and pavement cause wear on the cord?
@JetJock, I like your solution and came up with almost the same idea before reading this thread. I considered using the mirror, but like others was concerned about somebody breaking it off. Instead I opted for a longer cable lock allowing me to lock it to the wheel. Another advantage of this setup is you can easily slide the cable lock up and down the J1772 cable and potentially lock it to other "things" like a fence post if you desire.

Here are some pics and basic DIY instructions if others want to copy my setup, it cost me about $5 in parts from Home Depot and took approximately 10min to assemble. I agree this is a deterrent since a determined thief could just get a lock cutter, but it still prevents an opportunity theft and makes me much more comfortable about leaving my $400 L1 EVSE or $830 L2 EVSE (SPX Power Xpress) unattended.

I used vinyl coated 3/16" cable to both protect the rim and waterproof. As you can see below it easily fits in the hatch EVSE stowage area.

DIY Instructions:
1) From Home Depot I purchased 4 1/2ft of vinyl coated galvanized 3/16" wire cable along with 1/4" crimp ferrules, Velcro straps, and a pad-lock of choice (I happen to like the relatively new Speedial Master Locks allowing fast 1-hand unlocking but will probably switch to a weatherproof lock).
Note 1: There are other cable options including 3/16" uncoated stainless steel cable and 1/4" cable (coated and uncoated). Both would have been stronger (i.e. tougher to cut through), but I really wanted the vinyl coating and could not find any crimp-on ferrules large enough for 1/4" vinyl cable. Also the 3/16" cable is much easier to work with.
Note 2: I deliberated on the best cable length going anywhere between 3' to 6'. Shorter is easier to manage, longer gives you access to more locking options. Ultimately I decided 4' was the best balance, so I bought 4 1/2' expecting to use 3" on either side to make the thimble loops.
Wire Cable Lock Thermocouple

2) On one end, insert the wire into the ferrule to create a thimble loop. I made the loop as small as possible. Then crimp using a bench vise (unless you have a better tool available, my vise is the only tool my arsenal up to the task).
Note 1: This requires exerting a LOT of force!
Wire Metal Fashion accessory Silver
Auto part Metal

3) On the other end, create a similar thimble loop, this time wrapping around the J1772 cable. Then crimp using bench vise.
Note 1: Adjust the loop snug around the J1772 cable, but leave a small amount of slack so that it can slide up and down as needed.
Bicycle part Pipe Bicycle fork Tool Bicycle handlebar

4) Attach the Velcro strap and you're done!
Rope Wire Metal

See more pics in my album here:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/album.php?albumid=54

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Nicely done!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry JetJock, but I think Joule Thiefs is better. With yours I can already see the ebay listing....120V charging cord and matching Volt mirror for sale. They say ex burglers make the best security people, so someone with thief in their tag probably makes the best anti-theft device!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Joule Thief

Nicely done, now to do the same thing to my extension cord, and attach it to the handle of the charger. If they want to take my 100 foot they will need to cut something.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.