GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to laugh at the author's comparisons to the Model S and calling "ties" between the two that are at best just plain wrong, at worst a clear bias or a paid Porsche lackey.

Example: Porsche Taycan has 12.9 Cubic feet rear trunk space compared to 26.3 for the Model S. He called it a tie. Give me a break.

Another is on styling. Porsche wins! Sorry, that's a personal preference not an objective measurement.

I also find it odd that Posche felt they needed to call it the Taycan Turbo S. LOL. Show me the turbo on a car that lacks an ICE. Sheesh.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckt...tor-in-the-luxurious-new-taycan/#15aa08e0c494

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
That guy is totally a Porche fanboy. Check out the 0-60 times and drag coefficient:

Porche Taycan Turbo S: 2.6 seconds
Tesla Model S: 2.4 seconds

Result: TIE

Porche Taycan Turbo S: .25
Tesla Model S: .23

Result: TIE

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not a fan of Musk, but fair is fair as far as the Tesla cars go, and this guy had his thumb on the scale in favor of Porsche. He tried desperately to make the Porsche look better or as good as the Model S despite the stats. It is not a tie when the numbers are not the same. It's wishful thinking, or what some might simply call a second place finish.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'm not a fan of Musk, but fair is fair as far as the Tesla cars go, and this guy had his thumb on the scale in favor of Porsche. He tried desperately to make the Porsche look better or as good as the Model S despite the stats. It is not a tie when the numbers are not the same. It's wishful thinking, or what some might simply call a second place finish.
Especially when you compare prices between the 2 vehicles. I wonder if the Taycan will outsell the I-pace?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Different vehicles really, one is a sports car and the other an SUV.
Well I hope the Porsche sells better than the I-Pace. Jaguar only sold 900 of those in the month of August.

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I hope the Porsche sells better than the I-Pace. Jaguar only sold 900 of those in the month of August.
The Jaguar doesn't have turbo...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
People laugh about "Turbo" name on an EV, yet they fill their EV batteries at an air compressor station? :D

"A supercharger is an air compressor that increases the pressure or density of air supplied to an internal combustion engine."

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"A supercharger is an air compressor that increases the pressure or density of air supplied to an internal combustion engine."
Shhh! Don't tell Porsche or their EV customers. I hear the next Porsche EV will include "V8" in it's name.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
TIL I've been pronouncing Taycan all wrong! Thanks, Bill!

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
I don't know why people can't appreciate other manufacturers making EVs at each price point level. High-end car manufacturers get a lot of attention from ICE drivers/racers (pro&amateur). This is GREAT for EV exposure and helps with the turning point.

I think this Porsche ad is very well done.

Observate YT watcher said:

Warren Hooper
@ 0:22 Clock at 9:11, radio tuned to 92.8.
@0:39 and 0:27 clock also at 9:11.
Warren Hooper4 days ago (edited)

0:22 Clock at 9:11, radio tuned to 92.8. 0:39 and 0:27 clock also at 9:11. Only Porsche would go to this level of detail!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I don't know why people can't appreciate other manufacturers making EVs at each price point level. High-end car manufacturers get a lot of attention from ICE drivers/racers (pro&amateur). This is GREAT for EV exposure and helps with the turning point.

I think this Porsche ad is very well done.

Observate YT watcher said:

Warren Hooper
@ 0:22 Clock at 9:11, radio tuned to 92.8.
@0:39 and 0:27 clock also at 9:11.
Warren Hooper4 days ago (edited)

0:22 Clock at 9:11, radio tuned to 92.8. 0:39 and 0:27 clock also at 9:11. Only Porsche would go to this level of detail!
I agree. Despite the numbers, a Tesla is no Porsche. If you plunk down $150K+ for a Porsche you are buying into a mystique.

And although <<WARNING>> I have no evidence, I can only imagine that the Porsche is built more like a tank, while the Tesla is more smoke and mirrors. I could see Tesla improving performance with electronics, while Porsche doing the same with beefed up suspension components?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.