GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Panamera e-hybrid with 31 miles of range at $99-194K... I think any Tesla still wins.

I like the fact that you can get a wagon and for an extra $10k any color you damn well please. I like the redesign over last year’s model as the side windows for the rear passengers always looked goofy to me. The newer model looks more like a 4 door 911.

I still wonder why they didn’t just make it a 4 door 911 with the engine in the back.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Something of a "disciple of the obvious" point. When you have a new entrant its sales have to come from somewhere, so every competitor will "lose customers" to the new entrant. Would be better to look at which competitor. On an unadjusted basis, I think the manufacturer losing the most is Toyota. However, this isn't that meaningful. Toyota has the most customers to begin with. Adjusted for market share, I believe the brands losing the most customers are the super cars and the exotics, which of course makes perfect sense when selling a Veblen vehicle.

Note that Porsche is bringing back manual transmissions and describing the experience as "pure". So funny. Just what you want sitting in LA traffic.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Something of a "disciple of the obvious" point. When you have a new entrant its sales have to come from somewhere, so every competitor will "lose customers" to the new entrant. Would be better to look at which competitor. On an unadjusted basis, I think the manufacturer losing the most is Toyota. However, this isn't that meaningful. Toyota has the most customers to begin with. Adjusted for market share, I believe the brands losing the most customers are the super cars and the exotics, which of course makes perfect sense when selling a Veblen vehicle.

Note that Porsche is bringing back manual transmissions and describing the experience as "pure". So funny. Just what you want sitting in LA traffic.
I'd love to have a manual transmission EV. While we're at it, pipe noise out of a speaker where the tailpipe should be and make it programmable to sound like a Hemi, Ferrari, Porsche, or LFA.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
So corners and braking don't count? Folks are really abandoning Porsche for Tesla just to go fast in a straight line? Interesting.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
So corners and braking don't count? Folks are really abandoning Porsche for Tesla just to go fast in a straight line? Interesting.
Not to mention overheating.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Porsche just makes me remember the old 911's liftoff oversteer...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yeah, other automakers NEVER engage in hype. Especially Porsche!
Porsche's hype was overshadowed by Tesla's overhype, and now Porsche will have to work harder, no easy money anymore as Tesla's overhype starting to tear into their lunch.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Porsche US sales have increased every year in the USA since 2009.
Last year, 54k, this year so far 51.5k multiply by 12/11, 56.2k. Tesla so far this year? 41k, is unlikely to catch Porsche even with Tesla Mad-Rush that is expected in December.

Tesla will probably sell fewer Model S cars this year by a good margin. This occurred also in 2014.
Total Tesla sales for 2017 might not catch 2016 even with the slow rollout of the X and addition in 2017 of the 3.

The future is certainly unclear, especially when it comes to profits. Porsche makes money. Tesla might have to sell 3 times the Model 3's to emulate the profit/loss from the Model S. If S/X sales are harmed by Model 3 sales, the 3x number will have climb dramatically, especially if the M3-Base is not as profitable.

Personally, I think the Model 3LR will eat into Model S 100D sales the most, which is probably has a higher profit %.

Thanks goodness Tesla has never had to rely on selling cars at a profit to stay in business. 2018 is probably going to be brutal.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
No one said Porsche is outselling Tesla. What was said is that Porsche sales are up from last year. The Good Car Bad Car numbers are from April. Have a gander at a more current outlook:

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=1056
The point is, Porsche could have sold way more if Tesla wasn't around. You know how greed for the market is. We want all of it and don't want to share.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The point is, Porsche could have sold way more if Tesla wasn't around. You know how greed for the market is. We want all of it and don't want to share.
Sorry but that's false logic. It can't be quantified. Many Tesla S and X buyers are not generally luxury car buyers, and the quantity of them can't be proven either.

We've seen several people say they came from BMW 5 and 7 class cars and bought Volts too. Doesn't really mean Chevy is cannibalizing BMW sales. It means that some have made a market shift.

If Porsche increases its margins, then they've done their job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts