GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father passed on the May 2016 issue of Popular Mechanics to me, which featured a Volt ad on the back cover. Here's a picture

Attachments

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Great to see it advertised, but the ad copy is pretty lame. Pointing out some trivial features. How about something like, "With 53 miles of full-performance electric driving on every charge, and a gas powered generator to take you anywhere else you want to go, the new Chevy Volt is the smart way to drive in style."?

·
Registered
261 Posts
"With 53 miles of full-performance electric driving on every charge, and a gas powered generator to take you anywhere else you want to go, the new Chevy Volt is the smart way to drive in style."?
Simpler, yet far more interesting to read. Can't sum up the Volt in one sentence much better than this.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
If I may play devil's advocate, Popular Mechanics does not have your "general" readership. More like car people who like the nuts and bolts and technical details. PM has done detailed driving/performance tests on the Volt and published numerous Volt-specific articles. The readership is likely pretty familiar with the Volt, at least on the basics. I believe GM's advertising may have realized that and not "dumbed down" the ad, but created one that highlights some of the Volt's more nuanced features. GM said they were going to do "targeted" advertising in areas where they knew they had a knowledgeable audience that inclines towards advanced automotive technologies. PM would certainly fit that bill. The following article illustrates this. Any article that is largely an interview with Volt Chief Engineer Andrew Farah isn't a fluff piece.

Popular Mechanics Gen 2 Volt article

edit" It appears this actually is an article PM re-printed, originally in Road and Track/Car and Driver.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Great to see it advertised, but the ad copy is pretty lame. Pointing out some trivial features. How about something like, "With 53 miles of full-performance electric driving on every charge, and a gas powered generator to take you anywhere else you want to go, the new Chevy Volt is the smart way to drive in style."?
Great! The only change I'd make is to replace "electric driving" with "all-electric driving" to better emphasize the difference between the Volt and conventional hybrids.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Great! The only change I'd make is to replace "electric driving" with "all-electric driving" to better emphasize the difference between the Volt and conventional hybrids.
The lawyers probably steered them away from that phrase as "all electric" implies "all the time" which we all know the Volt does not due to ERDDT, EMM, FMM, etc. No need to give "Fox Noise" and other Volt haters any more ammo depicting all of those disgruntled Volt buyers who thought the car would always drive "all electric" then later found out it does not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts