GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to charge and push unlock. But then my pop open door wouldn't pop. I push on it and nothing. I would rather just have a spring door with no electronics. I opened it by sliding an old hotel plastic card key in the crack. I left it in the car but that is kind of a pain. Good thing I didn't give it back to Harrahs.

·
Administrator
20,352 Posts
Always include your model year when posting an issue. Not all the car years are the same. It may make a difference in the solution.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
If memory serves, he recently bought a 2018. So he already has a spring door with no electronics. He might be pushing the button to open the gasoline door, but that one must be pushed to open as well--there is no pop open door on a 2018.

·
Administrator
20,352 Posts
If memory serves, he recently bought a 2018. So he already has a spring door with no electronics. He might be pushing the button to open the gasoline door, but that one must be pushed to open as well--there is no pop open door on a 2018.
Right, he wants us to guess at the year of his car, guess at the issue. I'm not playing that game. It's just a pet peeve of mine.
Ever been to a doctor's office? What's one of the very first things they ask? Year you were born.

Ever had a car serviced? What's one of the first things they ask? Model year.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a 2018. There is a button on the door that looks like a gas pump. I thought that activated both the gas and the charge door. From what I gather I can stop pushing that other than to gas up the car - which I have not done yet.

I did a push and release on the rear door to open and that's what I meant by pop open. Mine doesn't. I will try some lube.

Thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, he wants us to guess at the year of his car, guess at the issue. I'm not playing that game. It's just a pet peeve of mine.
Ever been to a doctor's office? What's one of the very first things they ask? Year you were born.

Ever had a car serviced? What's one of the first things they ask? Model year.
Wrong. I don't won't you to guess and I don't won't you to be peeved. I was just unaware. Rather than be peeved just don't respond to me. We will both be happier.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
It is a 2018. There is a button on the door that looks like a gas pump. I thought that activated both the gas and the charge door. From what I gather I can stop pushing that other than to gas up the car - which I have not done yet.

I did a push and release on the rear door to open and that's what I meant by pop open. Mine doesn't. I will try some lube.

Thanks.
I've been participating in this forum for almost 2 years, this is the first time I have read where a Volt owner confused opening the gas tank filler door release button with opening the charging port cover but there it is. Anyway, to open the gas tank filler door you need to turn off the Volt, then press and hold the button located on the driver's door for 2 seconds. The Volt will depressurize the fuel tank, then the filler door can be opened by pressing the fuel filler door to unlatch. After adding fuel, tighten the fuel cap to the first click position (do not attempt to tighten beyond the first click.) Close the fuel filler access door and the Volt will then pressurize the fuel tank.

The charging port cover on the 2018 Volt is manually operated. Opening the charging port cover requires pressing on the cover at approximately the 2 o'clock position. The door should then unlatch and partially pop open. To close, press and hold the charge port cover in the same cover location until it latches. That is all there is too it. If you feel your charging port cover does not open or close as it should have the dealer check this.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

Thanks.
OK, MrRick, to clarify this: For the charge door on the driver's side, you simply push it at the rear and it should pop open. Now for the gas door on the passenger side, you first need to push that little button with the gas pump on it. A message will ask you to wait. Then it will de-pressurize the gas tank and unlock the door. Finally you will get another message saying it's OK to open the gas door, at which point you then push it in at the rear and it pops open!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jcanoe. You should have been in the car when I was trying to turn on the rear wipers.

I will check with the dealer as you suggest.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, MrRick, to clarify this: For the charge door on the driver's side, you simply push it at the rear and it should pop open. Now for the gas door on the passenger side, you first need to push that little button with the gas pump on it. A message will ask you to wait. Then it will de-pressurize the gas tank and unlock the door. Finally you will get another message saying it's OK to open the gas door, at which point you then push it in at the rear and it pops open!
Thanks JuneBug. It should but it doesn't. I will try a bit of lube and then if that doesn't work check with the dealer.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Thanks Jcanoe. You should have been in the car when I was trying to turn on the rear wipers.

I will check with the dealer as you suggest.
One time I tried to open the hood on my Volt and it had been a long enough time since I did that I forgot that you have to pull the hood release lever inside the car before the external hood release lever can be accessed, pushed left to open the hood. Now I check the fluid levels more frequently, can still remember how to open the hood.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
on a Volt that does have a button to open the door pushing the button many times if the door is stuck will give a check light.
(should self clear after a few starts)

You can open ( unlock ) the gas door with the car on but .....

speaking of open -close -- drop the hood to close do not push it down ( unlucky atomic number 13 at work )

·
Administrator
20,352 Posts
Wrong. I don't won't you to guess and I don't won't you to be peeved. I was just unaware. Rather than be peeved just don't respond to me. We will both be happier.
I'm letting you know that you need to post your model year and other relevant details when posting an issue with a car, any car. A 2011 Volt has a totally different charge door mechanism than your 2018 for example.

·
Administrator
20,352 Posts

Thanks.
Unlike Generation 1 Volts, Generation 2 Volts—including your 2018—do not have an electronic opener for the charge door. Just push in the door a bit and it should pop open. Yes, maybe it needs a bit of lube, or maybe it's defective. You were unlocking the gas door (hence the gas pump symbol) which has nothing to do with the charge door.

It's much easier to answer your question when we have the details. Had you done that in your originalpost, you'd have had the answer in the second post.

·
Registered
117 Posts
mrick: Another pet peeve around here, that I share. Putting your location in your signature also helps us determine, at a glance, it it's a regional issue (excess heat/cold/humidity). This doesn't pertain to your problem, but in the future, it might help.
Hope you figure out where the glitch is, hopefully just a spritz of dry silicone lube will fix it.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
mrick: It has been touched on in this thread already, but just to be perfectly clear on this point: You should not be pressing that button located on the inside of the driver's door. You only use that when buying gasoline.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
mrick: Another pet peeve around here, that I share. Putting your location in your signature also helps us determine, at a glance, it it's a regional issue (excess heat/cold/humidity).
Yes, which explains my signature!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2013 Volt does not open the charge door on first push of the button most of the time. It will after several pushes, but only sometimes.
I Usually just stand and put my fingernail under the lip of the charge door, then use my left hand to push the button again and the charge door opens instantly.

I just chalk mine up to a 5 year old vehicle. No real worries on my end.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Just love my rear wiper on my 2108 ��
Yeah, but it's a shame it took them 90 years to add that feature!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts