GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How has the quality been for people when making handsfree bluetooth calls? I have never had complaints when I use my Silverado but when my 2013 Volt is in motion apparently the background noise is terrible. This makes no sense because the car is so quiet.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Are you by chance using an iPhone 5?

It's not actually a mic problem. In fact... it's not even a hardware problem.

There is a known software BUG in the 2013 Volt that relates specifically to iPhone 5 and iOS 6. You are not the only one complaining. GM has acknowledged it's a problem. Not sure if the fix will be an update for the iPhone or a software update for the car.

Anyways... This is a common complaint with 2013 Volt owners that are using iPhone 5.

In my case I have an iPhone 5 and a 2012 Volt and the handsfree works extremely well. People often can't tell that I am using the handsfree. (So there is hope it will improve with a software fix.)

You might want to bring this matter up with your dealer and have them notify you when a fix becomes available.

And you should call your Volt advisor to complain: (877) 486-5846.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Samsung Galaxy S III. Thanks for the advisor number. I have not seen that anywhere before.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I have a Samsung Galaxy S III. Thanks for the advisor number. I have not seen that anywhere before.
The Volt advisors normally contact YOU within the first month and introduce themselves. But you can always call THEM. Just have your VIN number handy when you call. They also might send you a welcome gift as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boy, talk about good service. I called the number and the agent checked and there is a update for the radio. She did a three-way call with the dealership and set up an appointment to reprogram the radio with a new calibration. I almost feel quilty about how cheap my lease payment is!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 2012 and a HTC Trophy. I'm continually getting complaints about the voice quality and oftentimes just switch it off Bluetooth. Guess I'll call my adviser and see if she has a fix.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I get poor quality with both my BB curve and my wife's iPhone 3gs on my 2012.

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
hmm, haven't checked for any applicable service bulletins for my 2013, but I've noticed pretty bad quality, a couple of times when I called home, left a message on our answering machine, and then played it back later.

Now I haven't done a sound quality comparison between leaving a message via the OnStar Handsfree minutes, vs. via my (Android) cellphone over Bluetooth, but presumably it's the same microphone and same circuitry up to the point when it diverges either to OnStar or Bluetooth... also haven't done a comparison with, say, using my little Bluetooth earpiece instead of the car's builtin mike.

Someone with some time to kill ought to try these...

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
And from this post some other suggestions:
Bluetooth-Phone-Audio-Outbound
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?19307-Bluetooth-Phone-Audio-Outbound&p=223209#post223209
Yeah Scott,

I looked at that when WopOnTour first posted it. The odd thing about that tool is that the 2013 Volt is not even an option. I selected a MY2012 and found nothing about sound or noise for any phone I selected - just "How-To's" on functions. I even toyed with selecting the Chevy Cruze as a close cousin - Nada!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had the fix applied to my MY2013 Volt and it has resolved the issue for us.

We both use Android phones but were experiencing the exact same call background noise issues some are attributing to the iPhones. Bad background noise for the other caller when we are calling from the car via the bluetooth interface. Before the fix the background noise problem only presented itself if the car was actually in motion. If standing still calls were clear for callers at both ends. However, as soon as the car moved the background sound would start and got worse as the speed of the car increased.

Since our GM dealer applied the software fix our noise problems have gone away. Thank heavens! That was out ONLY gripe with the car.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Since our GM dealer applied the software fix our noise problems have gone away..
thank you! I will look into that. Had the car for over 3 months now, driven some 5,400+miles, dealer's started bugging me to make a service appointment..... will see if I can round up some needed service bulletins with software fixes (I'm supposed to call and get introduced to with my Volt Advisor sometime now too and I suppose they can do that? ), and get them all applied at once, and maybe do the initial oil change, in another month, closer to 7500 miles.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wow... I didnt even know there was a fix for this. I have had the same issue with mine forever, but just figured the mic was too sensitive. I'll have to look into this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts