GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Had a thought. I love my 2012 Volt. Except during these cold Denver winters my range is tanked from 44 in the summer to 28 now.
I like the idea of hold mode when it's really cold out to help heat the cabin without totally trashing my range.
So..... If he car is on and he hood is popped, the engine runs. My thought is to find the circuit and add a switch to break the circuit so the system thinks the hood is popped open and the engine will run.

Thoughts???? Other than maybe some annoying alarming that may happen letting me know my hood is "unlatched"

Thanks

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
How about just putting it in mountain mode? At about half charge (40-45%?) MM will run the engine to keep the battery there and engine heat will be available to help with cabin temperature. It's doing about the same thing as hold mode at this point and no messing around with wires and switches is needed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, use mountain mode a lot. There are times like first thing in the morning when it's really cold or when doing a trip I'd love to have hold mode. My issue with mountain mode is it kicks in only when I'm depleted to 8-12 miles left depending on temp. Basically hold mode is my way have having ICE on demand, not when and if it wants to run the ICE.
There have been many cold mornings driving my daughter 5 miles to school. When I see my range tanking because of using the defroster and such around 20 degrees out. The ICE will not kick on until I'm about half way back home. Then it's not really needed, it's only on because something in the system says "now" it's to cold, run the ICE.

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Hello,

Had a thought. I love my 2012 Volt. Except during these cold Denver winters my range is tanked from 44 in the summer to 28 now.
I like the idea of hold mode when it's really cold out to help heat the cabin without totally trashing my range.
So..... If he car is on and he hood is popped, the engine runs. My thought is to find the circuit and add a switch to break the circuit so the system thinks the hood is popped open and the engine will run.

Thoughts???? Other than maybe some annoying alarming that may happen letting me know my hood is "unlatched"

Thanks
Heating the cabin in cold weather is what ERDTT is for. Why try to hack the hood release sensor to do what the car will already do?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Remote start to pre heat the car and allow the engine to start while plugged in? ERDTT Can you set the ERDTT point to 35F or is that non-adjustable on your year?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yup, that's the issue. It comes on when I'm almost back home and it's of little cabin comfort benefit then. It may help the car, but after I drop my daughter off I turn everything down a bit anyway. I want it to come on when we leave. I only have access to a 120v outlet in my condo. So even when it's plugged in an I auto start the car it terminates my charge per OnStar notifications.

I guess I was hoping someone else had tried this and failed or succeeded.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
I wonder if popping the trunk is really hold mode or does it just run the engine at a specified speed to maintenance mode. It's possible the volt won't let you put the car in drive and move in this mode. Something to try.

Two solutions, use mountain mode as others have said, or go buy a newer volt so you have hold mode.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Three options:
1) Trade in your 2012 Volt for a new 2016 or 2017 Volt
2) Trade in your 2012 Volt for a used 2013-2015 Volt
3) Live with it

·
Registered
205 Posts
Three options:
1) Trade in your 2012 Volt for a new 2016 or 2017 Volt
2) Trade in your 2012 Volt for a used 2013-2015 Volt
3) Live with it
Fourth option: Go ahead and give your idea a try! I see no reason why it wouldn't work!

Maybe you don't want to trade in your 2012. I know I wouldn't want to trade in my 2011.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Test before modifying

You should be able to try your idea without making a major mod. The switch that tells if the hood is open is probably mounted on a bracket. When the hood is closed the switch is depressed. If you take the switch out of the bracket, it will be in the extended position and the car will think that the hood is open all the time. If the test works the way you want, then modify the circuit and install a switch on the dash. If not, you can easily remount the switch and have only wasted a little time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The head-in-sand attitude is really sometimes overbearing on these forums... where theres a will theres a way people. A few 2012 gens have been modified with hold mode in the michigan area, it is possible and you shouldnt give up so easily...

"Hold Mode MY2012

For those who own a early MY2012, you still require cost prohibitive hardware, but there was a mid-year hardware change that facilitates a multi module programming to support the Hold Mode for MY2012. Once again, the human spirit and the internet comes through. Though I have not taken advantage of this retrofit myself, I have located one entrepreneur in MI who will make this retrofit starting at $300. Due to the programming of multiple modules, this retrofit must be done in person. If you can make it to Michigan give White Auto Media a call. [email protected] If it is happening near the motor city, then I have high hopes of making it into other regions soon."
- article
id recommend contacting their lead, if you have the techincal know-how you can probably pull it off yourself.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hello,

Thanks
You assume the running engine is doing the same thing with the hood up as it does when the features engage the engine while the car is in operation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I can confirm that you can drive the car with the hood latch popped and the ICE runs as expected. It does however turn off and go back to battery when you exceed 20mph. In short, I'll just pop the hood latch to preheat and drive it until I can get ahold of a next gen Volt or a Bolt next year.
Thanks to all who replied.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Why not just place a small ceramic heater in the car and it will be warm and comfortable when morning comes?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts