GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new '17 has DC I & II but no ACC with its "high speed braking."

So today, I had it in plain old generic cruise with the forward collision alert activated. A car in front of me slowed to take an exit. I was in no danger of actually hitting it, but FCA nevertheless activated and immediately the car "felt" like it was braking.

Since I never had an FCA in cruise before, I thought "Huh, do I have high speed braking?!?"

I quickly realized that the FCA shut off the cruise and, since I was in LOW, it resulted in rapid deceleration.

Not bad for no ACC w/ high speed braking!

Someone with quick fingers could probably just keep getting FCAs and then resetting it to keep up with the flow. Not that I recommend it, or would find a "manual" ACC to be worth the trouble.

But having at least a modified version of the high speed braking with LOW and cruise is a nice benefit.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
What are you calling ‘high speed’? ACC works at all speeds.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poor Man's ACC (or high speed automatic speed braking)

Should have added the AUTOMATIC braking to make it clear. Non-ACC Volts with DC 1&2 only have low-speed automatic braking <37 mph. ACC Volts have it at all speeds.

But it?s good to know FCA shuts off cruise on non-ACC Volts and, in low, at least gives you some slowing and more reaction time if needed.

·
4,850 Posts
Yes, this same behavior is present on the Gen 1 Volt as well. FCA will disable cruise control, and if you're in Low, it slows you down quite effectively without user intervention.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Interesting. Hadn't really considered this. How fast were you going? This might even work more effectively on the Bolt EV since the regen is so much stronger.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, Don -- Had the cruise at 67 MPH and was in the right lane. I think the FCA was set at the midpoint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts