GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last six months in my Gen 2 Volt, the AM radio clarity has become terrible while running AC/Climate System in ECO or MAX Mode. The amount of static and noise makes it nearly impossible to hear the radio when listening to AM radio stations. If I shut off ECO or MAX setting (but still leave the fan on) the noise mostly goes away. Yes the stations are distant but the clarity of the station improves as I get closer to New York City (and therefore the AM tower), but it is still very noisy. It was never this bad before. Any idea what could be causing this?

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
In the last six months in my Gen 2 Volt, the AM radio clarity has become terrible while running AC/Climate System in ECO or MAX Mode. The amount of static and noise makes it nearly impossible to hear the radio when listening to AM radio stations. If I shut off ECO or MAX setting (but still leave the fan on) the noise mostly goes away. Yes the stations are distant but the clarity of the station improves as I get closer to New York City (and therefore the AM tower), but it is still very noisy. It was never this bad before. Any idea what could be causing this?
Crutchfield has some suggestions here. A loose ground connection is likely to be the cause.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JCanoe! That guide seems very helpful. I too thought it might be a grounding issue with the antenna since the noise was fairly consistent but I wonder why the AC compressor being on causes the heavy noise. I'm taking it to the dealer but I find most times they never seem to solve these kind of problems on their own. It seems better if I can come in with a solution that one of our smart bloggers on this website have discovered!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am experiencing the same issue in New Jersey. The answer from the dealer was to bring out a new Volt and demonstrate the same problem. So in other words, it is the way it is. Have you figured anything out or contacted GM about this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The video is exactly the same issue I am experiencing. The odd thing is that I didn't always have this problem so I would love to know what made it suddenly happen. I suspect that it is s grounding issue in the antenna or radio that has occurred over time due to corrosion or something shaking loose.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Back in the day I guess the more transistors in your radio the more bad-ass it was!?:confused:
I had a 6 transistor Sony radio as a kid that was somewhat smaller than that. Radio stations were 60 to 100 miles away. Worked great, even after falling off the train station's roof onto the platform below (it was in a leather case). You could easily spot the transistors because each was in a metal cube.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Notice the 2 little triangles on the dial. Those indicate the Civil Defense radio stations that were to broadcast evacuation warnings when the Soviet missiles were on the way. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem in Minnesota. My 2017 has been back to the dealer several times for this issue. Problem is - it is intermittent and is worse in different geographic locations, and not as bad where the dealer is located. In my home neighborhood it is so bad, I often can't use AM, even with the AC off. You can also hear the drive motor inverter whine through the radio. The last fix by GM was to replace the shark fin antenna with a re-design(?). It was better for a while, but lately is worse than ever. I have a long commute & listen to talk radio quite a bit, so I have resorted to iHeart radio when it is at its worst. I now have nearly 60,000 miles on the car, so I guess I'll have to live with it. Not paying for service when they couldn't find it while under warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2017. After about a year (I bought in 2016) the AM was unusable. On my commute, I listen to news and traffic AM 1070 (Los Angeles area). I took it to the dealer 5 times for this. 1) they said it was the AM broadcasting station and there was no problem (the car was in for a recall). 2) I brought it back and had them pull up a brand new Volt next to it. The new one had no interference so they admitted there was an issue. 3) They rejected my suggestion that it was antenna grounding issue and said the "GM tells us to replace the radio". They needed the car for a day just to get the radio model number so they could order the right one. 4) they replaced the radio and it had no effect. 5) they ordered and replaced the antenna on another visit. THIS FIXED IT TEMPORARILY!! 6) had to bring it back! When I opened the trunk the headliner was hanging down. They didn't finish mounting it.
After about a month, I lost reception again. I have not brought it back to my incompetent dealer. My headliner is damaged with grease smudges and the plastic fasteners don't hold it up. It can't take more of their abuse and I don't have the patience for the incompetence. My guess is that there is paint under one of the antenna fasteners that needs to be scraped off for a better ground. I just renewed my XM :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the same issue with my 2017. After about a year (I bought in 2016) the AM was unusable. On my commute, I listen to news and traffic AM 1070 (Los Angeles area). I took it to the dealer 5 times for this. 1) they said it was the AM broadcasting station and there was no problem (the car was in for a recall). 2) I brought it back and had them pull up a brand new Volt next to it. The new one had no interference so they admitted there was an issue. 3) They rejected my suggestion that it was antenna grounding issue and said the "GM tells us to replace the radio". They needed the car for a day just to get the radio model number so they could order the right one. 4) they replaced the radio and it had no effect. 5) they ordered and replaced the antenna on another visit. THIS FIXED IT TEMPORARILY!! 6) had to bring it back! When I opened the trunk the headliner was hanging down. They didn't finish mounting it.
After about a month, I lost reception again. I have not brought it back to my incompetent dealer. My headliner is damaged with grease smudges and the plastic fasteners don't hold it up. It can't take more of their abuse and I don't have the patience for the incompetence. My guess is that there is paint under one of the antenna fasteners that needs to be scraped off for a better ground. I just renewed my XM
Wow that stinks! I hate trying to get the dealers to fix things like this because they never really seem to want to get to the bottom of the issue and rather just want to apply a couple of formulaic solutions that GM has come up with. This is why I like posting things to this forum because generally I feel the members of this forum are much smarter than the actual service people and dealers and sometimes even the folks from GM. Thank you for sharing your experience - maybe I'll try to do the same thing at my dealership and see what they say. I have to agree with you that I feel it is some sort of ground plane issue with AM reception that seems to degrade over time for some reason or another. My assumption is that water or other things are getting under the surface of the ground plane of the antenna and making the quality of the AM reception to degrade over time.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
guess it is time for me to get out my OLD Mr. Microphone and walk around myVolt and see exactly where my am/fm ants really are located.

Then un-screw the whip and see if it really goes into a splitter.

I always though the whip was cell only but it could be dual use
There is XM and GPS antenna inside the base.

-------
The NEW Mr. Microphone tend to be FM.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Please stop all the stupid, trolling comments. Some of us are actually trying to get questions answered here. People like you have too much time on your hands. Grow up.
IF your AM isn't working homie...it is either your radio, antenna or transmission path. Yeah and take a chill pill bro you are getting way to bent out of shape over AM radio IMHO...:p

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Please stop all the stupid, trolling comments. Some of us are actually trying to get questions answered here. People like you have too much time on your hands. Grow up.
I responded with some helpful suggestions back on August 1. When you post about AM radio, a truly geezer technology, don't be surprised when the geezer bus shows up. Besides, I learned something today about the triangle markings.

Given that it is 2018 and not 1918 have you considered streaming Tune In Radio on your smart phone and connecting to your Volt's BT audio. Anyway, that's what I would do as it skips the problem of bad AM reception.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts