GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Magenn website, at their floating wind turbine, and also looking over SkySails website for kite propulsion systems for ships, and wondering how well a kite towed dirigilble would work for transportation or freight hauling, following trade wind routes.

The dirigible itself would have to stay aerodynamic, for handling / control purposes, but a kite towing system out ahead of it might quickly / cheaply pull it along through the air at low costs. Perhaps it could serve no better purpose than scenic tours over remote areas, or it could move freight very slowly and cheaply.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It seems like this would only make sense if it went the same speed as rail, truck, or ship. How fast DO these things travel, or is that based on wind speed? :)

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like this would only make sense if it went the same speed as rail, truck, or ship. How fast DO these things travel, or is that based on wind speed? :)
Typical dirigibles have props and could have jets to get them to move quickly. My thought was to have a parasail, which would be limited to the speed of high altitude winds, which can be considerably fast. It might be interesting for those who like hot air ballooning to ride a dirigible pulled along by sail - it would be silent and bouyant. I would even build an observation deck, where you can look down over the railing at the scenes below, just like in a hot air balloon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts