GM Volt Forum banner

What is your history with GM and your thoughts on the Volt cancellation?

• I have owned many GM products; I am UPSET by the cancellation.

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • The Volt is one of my first GM products; I am UPSET by the cancellation.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • I have NEVER owned a GM product; I am UPSET by the cancellation.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have owned many GM products; I am FINE with the cancellation.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • The Volt is one of my first GM products; I am FINE with the cancellation.

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • I have NEVER owned a GM product; I am FINE with the cancellation.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of complaining about GM's cancellation of the Volt, and I understand this is a complicated, nuanced issue. However, I'm curious whether our personal histories with GM and GM products is affecting our opinions.

·
Registered
981 Posts
For me, Yes.
I can speak for my wife and it is Yes for her too.
Did you intend to start a forum poll with this thread?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me, Yes.
I can speak for my wife and it is Yes for her too.
Did you intend to start a forum poll with this thread?
Yes... The forum posts the thread while you are editing the poll questions. You're just too fast. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
No, not for me. It’s still the same great car I leased a few months ago, and all of the things I liked then I still do.

When I leased it I expected GM to make significant changes during the term of the lease, and to select the “next model” at the end. I still do.

Ken. 2018 Premier

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yes... The forum posts the thread while you are editing the poll questions. You're just too fast. ;)
OK, I see that now. Tried to PM you, but your box was full. Was also trying to get an email address for you.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm very disappointed with the decision, however, if they plan to replace the Volt with an even better PHEV design, I'm fine with it. I plan to keep mine for a while because the older I get the less "fanboy" I become, but I think the Volt is an important transitional vehicle that helps bridge the gap between ICE and BEV. If not for the Volt, I'd still be driving an ICE vehicle. The Volt was affordable and allows me to drive 100% electric (minus BMM/EMM), allowed me to have one car for all the needs of the family, and allowed me to get an electric vehicle without spending well over $1000 to upgrade the electric service at my house (something I didn't have the money for at the time I got my Volt).

I would think as people get the EV itch, those would be common factors for other people too. Now that money is better, I'm starting to get the BEV itch. The Bolt almost does it for me, but I just can't handle the "honey, I shrunk the minivan" styling. If they'd make a sporty BEV compact, I'd buy it if the pricepoint was similar to the Bolt. I hope that's what GM is thinking!

Mike

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I see that now. Tried to PM you, but your box was full. Was also trying to get an email address for you.
Sorry. Cleared out some space.

I'm very disappointed with the decision, however, if they plan to replace the Volt with an even better PHEV design, I'm fine with it. I plan to keep mine for a while because the older I get the less "fanboy" I become, but I think the Volt is an important transitional vehicle that helps bridge the gap between ICE and BEV. If not for the Volt, I'd still be driving an ICE vehicle. The Volt was affordable and allows me to drive 100% electric (minus BMM/EMM), allowed me to have one car for all the needs of the family, and allowed me to get an electric vehicle without spending well over $1000 to upgrade the electric service at my house (something I didn't have the money for at the time I got my Volt).

I would think as people get the EV itch, those would be common factors for other people too. Now that money is better, I'm starting to get the BEV itch. The Bolt almost does it for me, but I just can't handle the "honey, I shrunk the minivan" styling. If they'd make a sporty BEV compact, I'd buy it if the pricepoint was similar to the Bolt. I hope that's what GM is thinking!

Mike
Personally, I think people are reading too much into this. GM doesn't really have an incentive to reveal anything until after the $7,500 Tax credit steps down to $3,750. I don't think it's a coincidence that both Volt production and the Federal Tax Credit step down occur at the end of March. I'm expecting to hear some big news from GM by then.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
None of the poll questions apply to me. I owned two, a 1954 Chevy (in 1964) and a 1955 Chevy (in 1968) so I wouldn't call that "many". The cancellation doesn't bother me because a) assuming no major issues, this will last me for some time, b) the techs won't get much experience because there aren't many Volts around whether they cancel or not. c) if "a" is true the next car will be EV and we'll have to see what is on the market then. d) all my six cars are "discontinued and even some manufacturers are "discontinued" so having a model that is discontinued is no never mind.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The Volt is my second GM car, the first was a 1980 Citation that blew it's transmission when it was 6 years old. If it wasn't for the Volt I would have never given any serious consideration to a GM product again not just because of the Citation but also because they don't build anything else that appeals to me. The Volt had to go eventually because it's a transitional vehicle but I would have liked them to have produced it for another three years until there is a wide spread CCS network and they have 350 mile range BEVs. I'm hanging on to the Volt for another year or two until there is a BEV that meets my needs. The Model 3 almost does but the lack of a SiriusXM radio and Android Auto is a deal breaker but if they were to fix that, or at least integrate Google Calendar and Pandora into the Model 3, I might buy one because the Supercharger network coverage appears to be more than adequate now. The Bolt is a non-starter for me, aside from the fact that it's ugly it's range simply isn't adequate. At a minimum a car needs a winter range of 250 which translates into an EPA range of about 350 or so, the Model 3's 310 might be good enough because the superchargers are well placed.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm fine with the cancellation. We won't be buying another new vehicle for many years, after buying our 2018 Volt one year ago.

It's the right car for us now, with the current lack of charging infrastructure here in Minnesota.

Our plan was to eventually replace the Volt with a BEV anyway.

And yes, we would like a winter range around 250 also.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
Like many of you, my hope is that the cancellation of the Volt is just a step toward great EV things going on at GM. The Volt is my 11th GM vehicle. None of them have ever let me down. I used to trade up a lot back when the economy was better which is why I owned so many but I did keep one (a 1983 Trans Am) until over 250,000 miles as it turned into my beater car. Only thing ever done to it above normal maintenance was a starter motor and a transmission rebuild along with some stuff so minor that I can't remember like maybe a switch, sensor, and I think maybe an electronic spark module.

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Volt is my 6th and latest GM car. Upset is probably too strong a word for how I feel. It's more disappointment. Disappointed that GM appears to be managed by a cadre of people who are willing, even eager, to throw away customer good will, brand reputation and engineering prowess for a very very small gain in profits over the next couple of quarters. If a company could be any more tone deaf I don't see how. There is no doubt that the Volt needs to be retired at some point, but there should have been a replacement for it, at least an announce replacement if not one that can be purchased, before the axe fell. At it is GM has just abdicated its technology lead in hybrid systems.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I took a chance getting the Volt. Previously I had a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix that caught on fire from a valve cover oil leak, and then a 2006 Cobalt because I needed cheap transportation ASAP. While the Cobalt was cheap transportation, the interior on mine was getting rattles very quickly and I traded "up" to a 2000 Jeep Cherokee for something more fun. Fast-forward to 2017, for how much gas I was paying for it per month, I could easily pay for a used Volt. I was wary after my past few GM cars either catching on fire or rattling me to insanity. Overall, I'm satisfied with it. It feels extremely solid, and I've had relatively few issues with it.

The thing that gets me, though, is that when the Volt was released, it was supposed to be the crème de la crème of what GM could do with the beancounters letting the engineers do their best work. I'm satisfied with the quality of my 2013 Volt, but knowing that this is considered the best, I don't think I'd go for GM unless they have another vehicle like the Volt in terms of quality. The Bolt is practical and on paper makes sense, but I'd much rather be in a sedan (it looks too much like a mini-minivan to me). GM's lack of interest in ramping up a reliable and competent charging infrastructure are also something important to me that I would factor into a vehicle purchase.

I'll admit that I'm probably biased after I was able to take a test drive of a Tesla Model S. There's no way to compare a 5-year-old $40k commuter car to a new $70k luxury car, but given what I've read on Tesla as a company, its mission, and the quality that I observed in my test drive, a used Model 3 will be my next car (and post test drive, I immediately started a new investment account to start socking away money for that day). In defense of GM, I've been fortunate enough to have test-driven a new 2018 Corvette as well as a Cadillac CTS-V (Both as well as a Tesla are currently WAY out of my price range), and the wow factor just wasn't there for me. Yeah, they're cool, but not what I was expecting. The Volt is not a bad car in any way, and as a college student, it fits perfectly with my needs and budget at the moment, but GM hasn't really gotten me excited about any other cars. I'm hoping that will change with the new BEVs they said that they will release, and I'm open to buying another GM vehicle if the quality and especially the support (charging infrastructure, OTA updates, etc.) is there.

·
Registered
380 Posts
BEV Volt style slightly larger hatchback.... why not, once you go hatch you’ll never go back

300 mile REAL usable range , fast charge + ability to use Superchargers .... I’d buy that for a $$$$$...😅 I’m new to the Volt but absolutely loving it electric portion is fantastic ( ICE isn’t terrible , just the electric portion is so much better ) ... just give me the above with the range !!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had a bad streak of owning many discontinued GM cars:

2001 Olds Alero (new upfront when I bought)
2007 Pontiac G6 GT
2012 Buick Verano
2017 Chevy Volt Premier

Would like to see 3rd Gen Volt as an EV only vehicle with more than 300 miles range to go head to head with the Tesla Model 3. The Tesla Model 3 is a nice car but the minimalist interior, large center display, no display behind the steering wheel takes quite bit getting used to.

Think most Volt owners would be more satisfied with an identified replace rather than the terse cancellation that has occured.

Instead GM just killed it without any new vehicle offering. They're sending a message that the only thing of interest are trucks and SUVs. I really don't care for either one. Cross-over might be of interest but again it should have been announced to coinside with the Volt cancilation.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I love my gen2 Volt even more than the 2014 gen1 it replaced two years ago. I guess the discontinuation is the result of the combination of the end of the $7500 rebates, and the fact that the CARB states put much higher emphasis on battery EVs than PHEV's. I'm upset, but I hope GM continues pursuing battery EVs and I wish that PHEV's and pure EV's were treated more equally. I'm at 86% electric with 19300 electric miles in 24 months, and another 3200 miles; I think all of those gen2 gasoline miles involved driving out of town. The gen2 is a technological tour-de-force and GM did a great job. I think GM deserved more support and sales volumes from the EV buying crowd then GM got, although the Volt is the best seller for a little while longer until the Model3 takes over the sales lead. I wish the gen2 Volt were 5%-10% more efficient on the interstate highways but I guess the next generation of high efficiency Toyota/Honda engines came out a year after the gen2 Volt. I love the fact that I upgraded to a car with ACC and a nicer interior, improved user interface.

I commend Tesla on their incredible efforts to drive the EV technology curve forward. I wish GM would continue making, selling, and upgrading the Volt (and other PHEV's), even if the volumes are low just to give customers more options in the EV market place. I wish Congress and Trump would extend the $7500 rebate for awhile longer. Hopefully, someday we'll trade in my wife's 2010 Mazda for a pure EV ...

The other thing that irks me is seeing all these people driving pickup trucks and more and more CUVs. Sedans are way more efficient.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
UPSET vs FINE are too strong. "Disappointed" is better.

My parents largely owned GM cars (e.g., full-size Buicks, then Cadillacs, with an occasional Olds or Pontiac). I've owned a number as well, and still own four: two Buicks, and two Chevys. Three of the four have nameplates that were discontinued - Reatta, Rendezvous, and now Volt. (Suburban is still being made.) I can still get all of them serviced. Drive train parts are generally not hard to find - even for the Reatta. (Crash parts for the Reatta are another story. But it is garaged out of harms way - except for the occasional car show or sunny day.) So I have confidence that our Volt will be serviceable for a long time.

I do want to combine our Rendezvous and Suburban into a single vehicle, and would prefer it be a PHEV. Something like the Outlander PHEV, but a little bigger and with about 2x the traction battery. It would be great if GM would put the Voltec, or a heavier duty version of it, in an Equinox-sized vehicle. Or even better yet, a Traverse-sized vehicle. GM has about a year before I start looking in earnest. By then the Model Y might be near production...

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The first GM car I remember was our Chevy Nomad station wagon from the early '60's. My grandfather had a 1962 Chevy pickup, which I sometimes drove in the cow pasture. With 3 on the tree I killed it a lot. Then the first car my Mom bought on her own was a 1970 Chevy Nova which is what I learned to drive on. Nothing special about the Nova except it had the 307 V8 and air conditioning (a first for us). Later she got a 1976 Chevy Monte Carlo which was really cool. Same engine as the Nova, but the hood was a mile long! So I have been around GM cars all my life, but until recently, I had never owned one. Now these were all average GM cars, but GM did make some really unique cars such as the Chevy Corvette and Corvair, Olds Toronado, and Buick Riviera. These were not your typical cookie-cutter designs, because clearly the engineers were thinking outside the box. So I consider the Volt to be one of these "special" GM cars, and after a short test drive I knew it was the right car for me. As the proud owner of my first GM car, the 1st Gen Chevy Volt, I'm not upset about the cancellation. I always saw it as a bridge between the ICE and pure electric car, so I assumed it wouldn't be around forever.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I'm neither upset or fine with it. My opinion is dropping EREV is premature and I'm wondering if it's going turn up in another vehicle. The Volt isn't my first GM purchase and I've been reasonably satisfied with them. I replaced my last S-10 p.u. with a Dodge Dakota p.u. because the delivery time was better and it looked like a better deal. Long story, short I was disappointed in the long run.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Manufacturers start and end models all the time. Even whole brands disappear (Pontiac, Olds, Suzuki, Dihatisu, Saturn). I generally despise GM engineering as a career mechanic, but after taking a closer look at the Volt, it seemed that GM put a lot of extra effort into is design and build of the Volt. The fact that it was being discontinued didn't really factor into my purchase decision. If anything, it could increase the car's value. Look what the EV RAV4 from 20 years ago still brings and it was not even sold to the public.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts