GM Volt Forum banner

Frequency of sidewall tire failure/issue with GY Fuel Max Tires?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any tire can can be damaged but the number of sidwall issues on Volt tires seems excessive. Want to make it more quantitative, so I started this poll.

Note if you have had blowouts please post the year (they changed from 93H to 94V at one point)

·
Registered
805 Posts
I was pulling into a store and some truck took the parking spot I was going towards so I had to turn sharper to park elsewhere as I entered the parking lot, and barely clipped the curb with my right front tire, and the sidewall blew-out, by the time I got to a parking spot - about 40 feet, my tire was completely flat.

I hit the curb where it sloped down, and I've hit the full curb before and much harder in other cars and never had a tire pop before.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I personally haven't had an issue but a friend hit a curb when picking his son up at school and ended up on needing a replacement. He didn't mention how hard he hit the curb.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If "None" were a choice, I'd choose that. But "None Yet" suggests I'm expecting one, which I'm not.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've had a sidewall "issue" but none of the choices fit for me.

A small cactus needle went into the sidewall of my GY tire and ruined it. It's odd to me a cactus needle has the ability to puncture a sidewall because I have a Kubota 900 RTV and a Honda 4 wheeler that go through prickly pear and various other thorns and never have flats like I've had on the GY on my Volt, and I run the Volt on bladed roads and not through cactus thickets.

For the spare wheel I purchased last year (so I could NOT have to call a wrecker in case of a flat/rim separation) I purchased a Michelin tire and elected NOT to go with Goodyear.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
If "None" were a choice, I'd choose that. But "None Yet" suggests I'm expecting one, which I'm not.
I agree, so not participating in this poll.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bumped a curb, hard enough to scratch the rim, but the tire has held ok. It's been about 500 miles since.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife had the front driver side tire fail on the inner side wall while driving back home from Atlanta GA. She doesn't think that she hit anything, and the car was only a couple of months old. It is hard to say exactly what happened, but at least it was a slow leak. The TPMS alerted her when the pressure got below 20 PSI and she was able to get to a dealer to get a replacement. Unfortunately they insisted that tires are never covered under any car warranty, so she didn't look too closely at the tire. FYI the manual explicitly states that the initial tires are covered under a warranty (excepting road damage), the value of which declines as more miles are put on the tires. Oh well, I still wouldn't trade driving my Volt for anything...

·
Administrator
21,030 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
2011 volt. one at 15k, one at 30k, and one at 60k. needless to say at 60k I changed the fourth tire - which really bummed me out. My plan was to switch over to michelins when the 3rd and 4th tire wore out (70k-80k). Now I'm stuck for another 60k miles with the loud goodyears. sigh... LOVE my volt - hate the tires.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I usually run 40-42 psi range. So expect that is what I was at when I had the impact/blowout.

·
Super Moderator
6,417 Posts
Any tire can can be damaged but the number of sidwall issues on Volt tires seems excessive. Want to make it more quantitative, so I started this poll. Note if you have had blowouts please post the year (they changed from 93H to 94V at one point)
One in ~30,000 miles on a 2011 with 93H. Thread about it here. I really should get a spare for road trips or rent Steverinos!

BTW, it was a stick on a side street. Lot of tree trimming in the area that week.

2011-Goodyear-93H-and-2012-plus-94V
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?18175-2011-Goodyear-93H-and-2012-plus-94V

·
Administrator
21,030 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last night my husband had a sidewall blow out on his 2011 volt. He was driving on a highway and hit nothing...just blew. Must have had a weak spot or something. No problem, (he thought) I'll just pull off this curvy winding road and put on the spare.....Oh yeah...I mean I'll just use this air compressor/tire re-blower-upper thing..OK, that didn't work at all.....So he had to wait for chevy's roadside assistance to send a tow truck and a taxi service. So the car is now at the local chevy dealer and we have to wait until monday to have them look at it and say "yup, that there is a flat tire!" All I'm saying is that if the car came with a spare tire he could have changed it and been on his way. Most inconvenient thing about our volts. I think I may just buy an xtra tire for mine and keep it in the cargo space!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good news...the tire is covered under the warranty via some type of equation that involves math (so don't ask me). The not-so-good news is that tire is so precious and extra special that no one around here has one and can't get one until tomorrow. Our Chevy dealer has graciously given my husband a loaner until the tire is replaced. Is it just me...or does this seem like a lot of bother just to replace a blown tire? Now I'm off to search for a donut/jack/lug wrench kit to avoid all the falderal in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did you have any luck getting a donut to fit the Volt? It makes sense to us as small a wheel as possible.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well I barely grazed a curb and ripped a gouge in my right front side wall. It did not blow yet, but I need to replace it. Called teh dealer and It's $142 mounted balanced and installed. I almost decided to just put a set of "normal" tires on the front, but changed my mind. I'll be calling the dealer this morning so they can order me in the tire. I guess I just need to really watch it on the curbs. First time in 12,000 miles, and hopefully I can get through the rest of teh lease without grazing another one.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts