GM Volt Forum banner

Are you having issues with FM or XM reception?

• Total voters
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The most common cause of faulty radio reception in any vehicle is a bad antenna to chassis connection; could be paint, could be rust. I suggest that before your start pouring money into this take the Volt to a different dealer, have them test, diagnose the reception problem. It could be as simple as sanding off the contact area and reinstalling the antenna.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
441 Posts
Is there a better, aftermarket, replacement antenna for the stock gen 2 sharkfin? I'm ok with the stinger antenna like on the gen 1 Volts if that would work, though I am not sure the footprint would match.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
My 2017 was WEAK right out of the box. My 2013 (same routes) would keep the signal just fine and not even cause static under bridges. The "new" Gen 2 got a few things wrong.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My '17 Premier, ACC had the Sharkfin replaced after about a week, FM and Sirius was 'weak' but didn't really notice until after it was replaced ( CPO warranty, dealer) < Initial reason was weak to no OnStar connection

·
Registered
294 Posts
My2018 LT also has weak FM signals. Is there something that I can do to make it better? The car is still under warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have noticed exceptionally weak FM reception in my 2018 base.
My baseline data about what ought to come in are from my old Volvo which had great reception by comparison.

My 2018 is also still under warranty - I am thinking of bringing it to the dealer for some diagnosis but I am concerned this will only be a waste of my time since having read through this thread, there seem to be a dearth of concrete solutions to the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Coming back to update with the results of my taking it into the dealer, under warranty, for diagnosis and fix.
tl;dr: they fixed my FM radio reception in my 2018 volt under warranty, but I'm not sure what the "fix" was. Service details below.

I took my Volt in to get the really, really bad FM reception diagnosed and fixed. I have the paperwork from the repair. I've read it over a couple times since it seems really unclear what the actual fix was. I'll share it here with two goals 1. that others will benefit from this info and 2. that others might make sense of the wording (& obfuscation?) to perhaps either confirm that it's really unclear, or help me / the community see what the fix actually was.

And I quote the service invoice:
per previous visit verified vehicle has no FM stations, scanned vehicle for codes, no codes stored in any module, and can communicate with all modules, ground X1 terminal 11 is good, power at X1 terminal 1 is good,
FM coax cable goes from antenna to radio, hooked radio input to a test antenna and still no FM stations,
installed new radio and completed programming with SPS, and verified limited number of FM stations,
contacted TAC case number 9-6103563026 and advised to test antenna and coax cable, hooked test antenna into coax cable in headliner and found it to have all FM stations.
replaced radio, completed programming with SPS, punched into DW to replace roof antenna.
Any help making sense of this would be appreciated. And I hope folks who are experiencing FM reception issues can find some use of this info.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts