GM Volt Forum banner

Are you having issues with FM or XM reception?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
As with others here, I'm having issues with my Sirius/XM Signal

Recently leased a 2017 Premiere (LTZ) Volt. In every way its better than my 2013 Volt... except this XM signal. I'm in the Los Angeles area. I could understand if I'm in the mountains or underground, parking structure, etc... but driving on a wide open space in a populated area? Quite frustrating, and something like signal strength should be a no-brainer, not to mention pretty standard. Did GM cheapen this area? Please say it ain't so...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2017 Premiere (LTZ) Volt Bose System. First off major GM FAIL for leaving out HD radio on a $40K car, sad! I do have very poor FM reception. I live about 30 miles from the major city in which 90% of the FM transmitters are located. I can only listen to my favorite radio station for about half of my trip before reception is to poor to continue. That would be nearing my home which is further out than work. I am not certain if its the radio receiver or more likely the Sharkfin. I want to blame the Sharkfin because designers love those things as they do look great. The problem is that they are HORRIBLE at receiving FM and AM stations. You really need even something that looks like the Sharkfin with the mast sticking out of it if you live more than 15 miles from the towers.

On the flip side my XM reception so far (winter here so no tree canopy blocking the signal) has been better then in past cars. I don't know if GM uses XM or Sirius. It matters because Sirius is better as the satellites move in (Analemma Orbit) a figure 8 over the center of the country and XM sats are Geostationary over the equator south of Central America.

The Sat radio sounds better than the FM and the Bose speakers are crap! My last car had a Harman Kardon which was FAR superior. The other halves Forester has Harman Kardon speakers and it too is much better. The audio system is by far the weakest part of the Volt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Haven't really listened to FM, but I do notice the XM signal drops a little bit (briefly, since I presume the car moves out of the dead spot while in motion) more frequently than my last car.

It happens only occasionally, but in my last car it virtually never happened, so I think I'm noticing it when it does.

So bottom line is it's not awful by any means, but not quite as perfect as my last car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can say without question that my 2017 Volt has the worst radio I've had in a car in my memory, and I've owned almost 50 cars in the last 50 years. My wife's 1999 Toyota has a much better radio.

I've taken the car to the local dealer. They replaced the antenna, even painted the new one to make sure it matched. No change. To add insult to injury you can't even yank the junk factory radio out an put in an aftermarket one!

Maybe the engineers at Chevy could spend less time making stupid noises(phony engine start and stop noises) and blinking lights (who needs two garish bowtie emblems every time you get in the car?) and put a decent radio in the car. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone found a solution to the poor FM reception issue?
My dealer replaced the antenna, which worked for me. I have a 2018 volt with BOSE system, and before the antenna replacement, I got 2 stations. After the replacement, I got at least 30 stations that were in strong. That said, I can tell that some of the stations tend to go in from stereo to mono, as I believe that there is still some sort of interference issue while driving, but I can't be bothered to bug the dealer about it as I listen to music off my USB key.

But it is much better than it was before...

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I assume this is a technical question. I recently changed cell phones and have just now converted all my music to MP3s to play on it. Radio reception was fine, but the content of what I was receving was garbage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
RADIO FIXED!!
I bought the car used from the dealer. The radio was losing reception and basically unusable for my particular station, just so much static it was so frustrating to listen to music or talk.. So I complained and they agreed to fix it for me free of charge! They ordered me a new Antenna (had to paint it to match the vehicle) It was just installed today and I'm happy to say it solved the problem. Radio is sounding great!
FP-Number 84190769, Description Antenna N 096450

2017 Premium Bose system

Hope that helps some of you ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
In 2017 my, then, dealer did a recall/campaign on both of my Volts, (Bose). I can't remember which one it was. Since then, one has experienced significant reduction in AM FM and Cellular signals. I've had it in three times to have it fixed but the dealer hasn't fixed it. Yesterday, we drove 5 hours home and the AM reception was so bad, the radio was unusable. The FM is fuzzy even driving through Sacramento from a Sacramento station. While using the cellular network the streaming signal cuts off between some towers. Its so irritating, I'm gearing up to try again with the dealer. The other Volt has no radio problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
In 2017 my, then, dealer did a recall/campaign on both of my Volts, (Bose). I can't remember which one it was. Since then, one has experienced significant reduction in AM FM and Cellular signals. I've had it in three times to have it fixed but the dealer hasn't fixed it. Yesterday, we drove 5 hours home and the AM reception was so bad, the radio was unusable. The FM is fuzzy even driving through Sacramento from a Sacramento station. While using the cellular network the streaming signal cuts off between some towers. Its so irritating, I'm gearing up to try again with the dealer. The other Volt has no radio problems
Interesting. I live in Sacramento. I haven't noticed any issues with the FM radio, however the XM reception is terrible. It drops out in places that have never been an issue. Previous XM vehicles were two BMWs and a Tacoma.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shark fin antennas do a poor job with weak FM signals compared to rod antennas. My 2017 didn't come with HD FM capability since I live 80 miles from most of the station antenna towers. SiriusXM reception on the winding mountain road I take to work only drops out briefly in a few canyon locations.
I'm thinking about making a horizontal antenna with a magnetic mount that passively couples into the sharks fin to improve the FM reception.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Purchased my 2017 Permier aka LTZ on Aug 20th 2016. Vehicle was built 06/16 and has ACC so it's about as new/current as you can get and I have not experienced ANY FM/XM reception issues.

My 2017 Volt performs exactly the same as my son's 2010 Camaro SS and my wife's 2016 Equinox LTZ.

I live 20 miles SE from St Louis where all the stations are. Knock on wood but I'm a happy camper.
How is it now?
I have a 17 premier, built after yours (August), and radio reception was great when I bought it. After a few months, I get barely any reception and the "clear" stations nearby have poor reception.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
How is it now?
I have a 17 premier, built after yours (August), and radio reception was great when I bought it. After a few months, I get barely any reception and the "clear" stations nearby have poor reception.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I am experiencing this now with my 2018. FM Radio reception was generally fine for over a year, but this week it's been weak and even local stations are cutting in and out. I'll have to tell my dealer about it!

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's Fixed!

I took it in for the radio, for the fourth time, in January, and requested this only and no other repairs.

They kept it for two days, and I was beginning to think I was getting a "wall-job."

They called and apologetically said they called GM, asked around checked the radio cables and everything seems to be working as designed. They said come and get it; no charge.

I was pleasantly surprised, when I picked the car up; it was working fine. All AM stations and FM stations are received as expected, and, received the same as my wife's Volt.

I've been driving it around for more than a month and I couldn't be happier.

Here's what the service order said:

CUSTOMER STATES VEHICLE HAD A RECALL DONE ON VEHICLE WHICH
HAD THE RADIO CABLES PLUGGED AND EVER SINCE THEY REMOVED
PANELS FOR RECALL THE FM/AM RADIO DOSENT HAVE GOOD SIGNAL
CUTS OUT EASILY ON FREEWAY GOING UNDER BRIDGES AND WHAT NOT.
ALSO WIFI SIGNAL DROPS OFF AT RANDOM TIMES BETWEEN CELLULAR
TOWERS -CHK
CHECKED FOR POOR SIGNAL FROM AM AND WIFI -UNABLE TO VERIFY
CONCERN -CHECKED FOR CODES -NONE -CHECKED COAX CABLE AND ALL
CONNECTIONS FROM AND TO RADIO -ALL OK -CHECKED FOR
UPDATES/MESSAGES FROM GM -NONE -CALLED GM WITH CASE
#9-5002651765 -NO ISSUES FOUND AT THIS TIME
NO PROBLEMS FOUND
Apparently, by checking the cables, they fixed the poor grounding that I told them was causing this problem every time I took it in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Perhaps the new MyLink 3 system in the 2019 volt will have an improved radio.
yes! 2019 fm and xm is way better receiving in remote areas than our 2017 ever was. Almost worth the price of the upgrade right there.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
440 Posts
How easy is it to access the radio cables? Just picked up a 2018 Volt Premier and have noticed that with strong local signal the sound is fine, but with weaker signals it is fuzzy sounding, like it was off just a little in frequency. Our 2013 Volt's radio in comparison is excellent, even for weak signals.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Perhaps the new MyLink 3 system in the 2019 volt will have an improved radio.
yes! 2019 fm and xm is way better receiving in remote areas than our 2017 ever was. Almost worth the price of the upgrade right there.
I'm the OP on this thread, and have continued to get nowhere on this problem (16 Volt LT) even after having the dealer replace the radio, antenna and wiring.

I've just come off a 2 month free Sirius XM trial (after a service appointment for another nightmare problem), so I'm back to reception quality of a 1965 transistor radio with a coat hanger for an antenna (GM continues to tell me that this reception is normal).

Is this just a software update? If so, has anyone tried to have GM update their 16 Volt to MyLink 3? If so, has it improved FM reception? and how much did it cost to do the update?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts