GM Volt Forum banner

Are you having issues with FM or XM reception?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get GM to address problems that people (like me) are having with FM and XM reception with their base level radios, and would like to be able to present them with data for both the base and Bose radios in both LT and LTZ models.

My apologies if this seems like a lot of options to go through, but I want to be as granular as possible to be able to see useful trends.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bad FM reception , volume and/or treble go down by itself. Never had problem in the same place and the same station with my 2012 Volt. Base radio

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It may depend upon your previous car. My 16 Premier's radio works great. No probs with FM or XM reception. My old Lexus CT200h had a lousy XM radio that had so little buffer, it was always cutting out, if a tree shadow crossed the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2016 lt with comfort package standard infotainment , Lousy fm reception even with strong nearby stations almost like its just off the mark tuning wise. xm work good AM seems to work better than FM , just have 500 mile on car and so far that is the only complaint.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2016 lt with comfort package standard infotainment , Lousy fm reception even with strong nearby stations almost like its just off the mark tuning wise. xm work good AM seems to work better than FM , just have 500 mile on car and so far that is the only complaint.
@jenpeau... It looks like you haven't added your responses in the poll. Could you please do that? Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a BMW prior to my GEN1 and GEN2 Volt. The BMW could get reception in my parking garage and never had issues.

With my GEN1, it didn't have a shark fin antenna, so I figured that was the reason it dropped radio in my parking garage and next to large buildings. I just lived with it.

When I got my GEN2, I saw the shark fin and thought, "Awesome! Maybe that issue will go away this time!" NOPE! Same exact issue, with dropping in the parking garage and next to buildings downtown.

It just sucks knowing that the BMW could do it just fine. I know it's a limitation to the Chevy Volt... sucks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Keep in mind that Sirius and XM use two different satellite systems in different orbits and use different radios. They also have different ground stations that rebroadcast in urban areas. EVen though they have merged, the separate systems were launched when they were different companies. My BMW had a 'sirius' radio and my wife's Nissan has an XM radio. Even until recently they had different channel numbers. So you have to be careful comparing one car to another - especially if they are different generations

·
Registered
568 Posts
SXM works most of the time... seems to have bad days though where the signal will cut in and out, and then just stay out for 20 or 30 seconds. By that time I switch back to my USB media input.

I never listen to FM radio... I will say though my 2017 LT with Bose is sadly the worst I've had in terms of satellite radio reception. I love the car though, and once the trial period of SXM runs out I have no plans to renew it. so it's a problem that solves itself ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've never used XM radio before, so I can't comment on it. My 2017 Volt LT with a base stereo has worse FM reception than my 2015 VW Golf, though. It's been a while since I owned it, but I think my 2008 Chevy Aveo had better FM reception than my Volt, too. I can't say that it's really unacceptably bad, though; I do still get reception, and I live far enough away from the FM stations to which I listen that I have weak reception on clock radios in my house, too. I also rely on cable TV because I can't pull in much of anything using indoor TV antennas. (I haven't tried a roof antenna, but they're pretty common where I live, so I assume others have similar TV-reception problems.)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Also haven't used XM but FM works fine during morning and evening commutes up and down I-5. No difference in performance with my older ICE vehicles either, same commute.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an LT Base level system and while the AM and Sirius reception is pretty good, the FM reception is a disappointment. FM only sounds clean when the signal is very strong--otherwise there is a lot of distortion and it sounds like it is mis-tuned. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the premier with the Bose sound system and I must say my XM, AM and FM reception is great. It's actually better than our other car 2011 Ford Explorer. It 's been perfect.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Purchased my 2017 Permier aka LTZ on Aug 20th 2016. Vehicle was built 06/16 and has ACC so it's about as new/current as you can get and I have not experienced ANY FM/XM reception issues.

My 2017 Volt performs exactly the same as my son's 2010 Camaro SS and my wife's 2016 Equinox LTZ.

I live 20 miles SE from St Louis where all the stations are. Knock on wood but I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've had my 2017 LT with the base system for a week now and can definitely say that XM reception is lacking big time in populated areas. Even small towns with nothing more than 2-3 story buildings seem to cause my stations to go in and out as I drive past the buildings. If I happen to stop at a light or something the signal will remain out until I move out of the shadow of the building or whatever it is that is causing the issue. I drove my previous car through these exact same roads all the time and never had any problem at all with XM reception.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've never had a car with Sirius, XM, or SXM so I can't compare, but I can say that I lose my SXM reception at the same points along my commute. Happens maybe two or three times along my 25 mile one-way commute.

I'm still in the trial period, and the reception is seriously making me think about not continuing my membership.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Poll says "you can not vote on this poll". I have the LTZ and SXM works most of the time... I have had occasional instances of the signal dropping out in a wide open area. It first happened after the dealer replaced the screen (main unit) on the MyLink. I suspect the antenna connection is not as good as it was before. Do I really want to take it back in? Not really, since they didn't fix my previous problem with MyLink. It still keeps rebooting. Love the car but the infotainment system is buggy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm loving my new 2017 Volt, however, the reception of Sirius/XM is noticeably poorer than my previous car. My previous car used a Sirius S50 radio with external antenna and I almost never had the signal drop out.

In my new Volt I get multiple signal dropouts during my 25 mile one-way daily commute. I live is South Florida which is flat as a pancake so there are no hills of mountains to contend with.

Does anyone know if there's a way to see the radio's signal strength? My old S50 had a way to see the signal strength of both the satellite and terrestrial signals. Also, does anyone know what chipset Chevrolet uses? Are they using the Sirius or XM chipset.

I was an early investor in XM radio and I know a lot about how each company's technology worked. XM has geostationary satellites while Sirius uses a constellation of three satellites in elliptical orbit. The net result is that the Sirius satellites move around in the sky while the XM satellites stay is the same relative place in the sky.

Anyway my satellite reception is very poor compared to my previous radio.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts