GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just me or my pocket contents these days but I've never had a vehicle fob do "pocket unlocks" as much as this one. I blame at least part of the issue on the convex shape of the remote which makes the buttons stick up unlike our Mazda remote which has the buttons recessed slightly.

I'm getting to the point where I think I need to either hang it outside from a belt-loop or find some sort of "hard case" to put it in before it goes in my pocket.

I'm thinking something like this unless someone has a better suggestion.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Wait until you put all the windows down in the rain.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or the CAR WASH! (fortunately a manual wash, so I just stopped until I got the windows back up)

I actually have an appointment Saturday to have that disabled.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Get a fob cover. I bought one in leather and it protects the fob even if it falls from my hand. Pressing the cover cannot activate any buttons.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Maybe it's just me or my pocket contents these days but I've never had a vehicle fob do "pocket unlocks" as much as this one. I blame at least part of the issue on the convex shape of the remote which makes the buttons stick up unlike our Mazda remote which has the buttons recessed slightly.

I'm getting to the point where I think I need to either hang it outside from a belt-loop or find some sort of "hard case" to put it in before it goes in my pocket.

I'm thinking something like this unless someone has a better suggestion.
Stop wearing those tight pants...:)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no skinny jeans here...more like large cargo pants. But I seem to lean on things all the time that trigger the buttons.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Or the CAR WASH! (fortunately a manual wash, so I just stopped until I got the windows back up)

I actually have an appointment Saturday to have that disabled.
Just because you fix the windows going down doesn't fix the root of the problem. You would still be able to accidentally unlock the doors or open the charge door or set off the alarm or remote start it or running down the battery on the Key FOB. So seems to me you are trying to fix one symptom of the problem rather than the problem itself. I would say protect the remote from accidental button pushing or eliminate all of the above functions of the remote.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I had the same problem (with a different car). My solution was to never keep my car keys in my pocket at home. I always put them in exactly the same place as soon as I get home. At work, or pretty much everywhere else, I'm out of range of the car, so keeping them in my pocket is fine.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE ON ISSUE

So I took the 2 prong attack.
1) Made an appointment w/dealer to reprogram the function. It went very smoothly once I got them to understand my issue. The windows don't go down with the fob anymore (yea!) The process took about 20 min (mostly for the download) and they also gave the car a courtesy look-over and pronounced it healthy <grin>.

2) I ordered one of the recommended silicon covers and then cut out the button part so it creates a recessed area for the buttons.

I haven't "pocket-unlocked" the Volt since.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Very Interesting.

I have had the "all windows open" phenomenon happen in the Volt and also in a Jaguar I used to own. Which button do you have to push to get this to happen?

Where can I get the sleeve to place over the fob to prevent this?

I have also had my fob delaminate and as a result the car couldn't detect it in my pocket. I lost the original spring and found that a modified spring from a ball point pen works (sort of). It does keep the button up, but doesn't snap the key out, that I have to do manually. Without the spring, the key wants to come out all the time.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Very Interesting.

I have had the "all windows open" phenomenon happen in the Volt and also in a Jaguar I used to own. Which button do you have to push to get this to happen?

Where can I get the sleeve to place over the fob to prevent this?

I have also had my fob delaminate and as a result the car couldn't detect it in my pocket. I lost the original spring and found that a modified spring from a ball point pen works (sort of). It does keep the button up, but doesn't snap the key out, that I have to do manually. Without the spring, the key wants to come out all the time.
I believe holding down the UNLOCK button will have the windows go down.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I believe holding down the UNLOCK button will have the windows go down.
Correct.
Hold unlock for 4-5s.
So you have to be really bad at pocket pressing to get this to happen :)

Not once in two years have I accidentally pressed a fob button. It's all about how you have it in your pocket, I guess.
Also, take it out of your pocket when you get home, and there's zero chance ;)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Press unlock once, then press and hold for 4 seconds.
I have no idea what combination of circumstances makes (made) this happen all the time for me but it was getting kinda frustrating.

Dr Mike B, I bought one of these, and took an x-acto knife and cut out the button pads to leave a recessed opening.

I found out after I ordered it that you can also get them like this set.

3,600 Posts
So I took the 2 prong attack.
1) Made an appointment w/dealer to reprogram the function. It went very smoothly once I got them to understand my issue. The windows don't go down with the fob anymore (yea!) The process took about 20 min (mostly for the download) and they also gave the car a courtesy look-over and pronounced it healthy <grin>.

2) I ordered one of the recommended silicon covers and then cut out the button part so it creates a recessed area for the buttons.

I haven't "pocket-unlocked" the Volt since.
I’m glad to see your dealership was able to get this resolved for you, Dutch! If this does happen again, or you have any remaining questions or concerns, let me know!

Kindly,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 20 of 21 Posts