GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My local dealer has been waiting for nearly a week to get clarification on replacement of my HV radiator as a warranty item after road debris hit and cracked it. My dealership doesn't do a lot of Volt work, and had never seen TSB 13*06*02*001A (Supplemental Repair Required for Drive Motor Battery Coolant Radiator Replacement Due to Stone/Foreign Material Impact * (Aug 18, 2014)) before I brought it to their attention. This is for Gen 1 Volts only. They are going to do the work under the warranty, but I still think they are looking for top cover.

If you have had your radiator repaired under warranty after being damage by road debris, please send me a PM with the dealerships name and location. I would like to pass this along to my dealership so they can see there are other dealerships doing this repair under warranty.

Thanks,
DesertRat

·
Registered
431 Posts
If the radiator was cracked due to a road debris hit, then in general it is not covered by the warranty. I’ve had one of the ultrasonic sensors on the front of my gen 2 Volt destroyed by a hit from a rock, which disabled the whole proximity sensing system – I was unfortunate enough to have exactly the same problem occur with my gen 1 Volt several years ago. My dealer (Rydell in Northridge) said that such damage is not covered under the warranty, but in both cases it has been fixed for free when they were apparently able to invoke something called the GM ‘encouragement’ program. This seems to have been set up by GM for good customers to keep them as repeat customers. Try asking your dealer about it, although they might not have as much sway with GM as Rydell, which I know is one of the top Volt sellers in California.

·
Registered
926 Posts
If the radiator was cracked due to a road debris hit, then in general it is not covered by the warranty. I’ve had one of the ultrasonic sensors on the front of my gen 2 Volt destroyed by a hit from a rock, which disabled the whole proximity sensing system – I was unfortunate enough to have exactly the same problem occur with my gen 1 Volt several years ago. My dealer (Rydell in Northridge) said that such damage is not covered under the warranty, but in both cases it has been fixed for free when they were apparently able to invoke something called the GM ‘encouragement’ program. This seems to have been set up by GM for good customers to keep them as repeat customers. Try asking your dealer about it, although they might not have as much sway with GM as Rydell, which I know is one of the top Volt sellers in California.
gjm3, thank you this info! This is exactly why I purchased the VoltScreen (search the forum)! I was afraid I couldn't convince my dealer to cover the radiator repair. This is definitely a design flaw and I hope GM fixes this in the future. Such a simple fix and shouldn't impact performance at all!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Ah, but the Gen II also could suffer from this. Opening is there and direct path for a 1/2" rock to easily hit the thin fins on the radiator. If they get lodge in there, they'll warp a few fins and I'd rather the $32 for the VoltScreen than dealing with a headache, even if covered by warranty.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm in the radiator business; we sell new aftermarket radiators. No one in the industry warranties damage caused by road debris. We cover manufacture defects only.

If Chevy actually covers the repair, consider yourself very lucky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts