GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently the charger (standard issue 120V) is stuck in the car charge port because the squeeze handle on the charger is not lifting the little locking clip that latches the charger to the car. The charger is nested properly in the car. Just can't get it out.

Theoretically I can pull the charger so hard that it breaks the little latch, but that could just as well damage the catching piece on the car's port.

Thoughts? Anyone else seen this problem?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Gen 1 or Gen 2 Volt? The little locking clip is well exposed on the Gen 2 Volt when it is plugged in so it would be easy to lever it up with a screwdriver or something, if it is stuck for some reason.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had to break open the handle on the charger for my 2012 Volt to get it off when it got stuck. Fortunately it was still under warranty and the dealer replaced it.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Try pushing (not pulling) on it before pressing the release button.

Pictures of the inside of various plugs:

If the hinge pin is broken, then you'll probably have to split it open.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Instead of just pushing the button, you can try lifting the front "hook" with your fingers or a tool...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Just a thought (never tired it) Loop a piece of cord and push it over and to the back of the latch, then lift up.

My cord is not a GM product. Its plug latching part is all metal, one single part. I guess they figured this out.

G

·
Voltg Plug stuck in car

Well this happened to me today for the first time in either of my Volts (2013 previously, now a 2017). And while I was able to pry the SPX charger plug top off of the handle and finally get it off (there's a small metal connector inside which has now dislodged and no longer does what it was supposed to do), unfortunately, mine wasn't the portable 110. Mine that got stuck was the Level 2 (240v) charger which is wired into my electrical panel. And because my Volt was parked behind my 65 Corvair convertible, I couldn't even use my backup car! (tandem garage). But I was able to get mine out, however, now I have to figure out how to get that charger repaired (or worse, replaced!) Can't imagine the bill for that since that will involve an electrician. Poor design on the plug. I understand the need to make it safe for all the idiots out there, but honestly, there has to be a better design than this one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts