GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Speaking of things that many of us probably didn’t know that are discussed in the owner’s manual:

Have you read through your owner manual’s section on Charging Status Feedback in the Driving and Operating section? For my 2012 Volt, referring to the Charging Status Indicator, or CSI (i.e., the little light on the dashboard), it says "If the vehicle is plugged in and the CSI is off, a total utility interruption using OnStar or a charging fault has been detected. See "Utility Interruption of Charging" or "Charge Cord Status Indicators" later in this section." This section of the manual has a longer description of Utility Interruption of Charging, triggered via OnStar. It could be the driver's display is reading "Charging" because it's ready to be charging once the utility interruption is corrected.

Also, have you turned on the car while the charge cord is plugged in and reviewed the energy usage center display regarding the "Charging" selection? Here is where you can see your delayed starting time and expected completion time when you don't override it. I should think that if the driver’s display shows "charging," this display should also show that same status, unless (as in my manual under Instruments and Controls) it is showing a Charging Override/Interruption Pop-Up message. It appears that one reason for such an interruption is "The charge process was interrupted by the utility company via OnStar as authorized by the vehicle owner (available in select regions)." OnStar has been behaving oddly recently it would seem from the number of postings I’ve seen... Could it be playing around with your 2011 Volt?

Also, if the cord is plugged in and the car knows it, you shouldn’t be able to drive the car until you unplug it. Can you? That is, will your car allow you to start it and shift out of Park even though the cord is plugged in and the driver’s display reads "Charging"?
Thank you for taking the time for your researched response. TL;DR -- 'immediate' charging opts do not work; car thinks it's charging as I can't take it out of Park.

I did read the manual from cover to cover before I got my Volt and while waiting in airports to fly to NY (from IL) to buy it back in Feb'11. Volts were not available in IL at the time. That was a while ago so I don't even recall that utility interruption topic. ;) I read sections, Steverino's FAQ and hundreds threads daily a few years back but don't go to the manual much now.

Since the CSI goes from yellow to off vs yellow to flashing green (delayed charging) it would seem the handshaking/confirmation and charging procedure did not complete. I find it odd that the system does not detect that since it is such a core part of this car.

Originally I was using the option of rate ('off peak') and delayed charging (7am) and it has worked for literally years. I use it because I'm on an hourly rate plan and my rates are cheaper at night. When I first noticed the problem I waited until about 9:30p to see if the charge added any miles as it starts at 9p. It didn't add any miles. HOWEVER, since then I tried playing with the times (no joy), forcing immediate by unplugging/plugging in a few seconds (no joy), and changing the charging section to do immediate instead of delay&rate (no joy). NOTE: this charging area does 'think' it is charging because it gives me an estimated completion time.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
They believe it is the charging port (their term: "receptacle"). They see a crack in it somewhere and believe there is a "short". They are trying to track one down to replace.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I was hoping that (charging port mentioned above) would be it but they just called and said that didn't help. They don't know what the problem is but they are going to continue to look at it. They didn't say but hopefully they will contact some higher level GM techs. I'll follow up likely at noon tomorrow and if no progress I'll ask.

·
Administrator
20,326 Posts
They believe it is the charging port (their term: "receptacle"). They see a crack in it somewhere and believe there is a "short". They are trying to track one down to replace.
There have been issues caused by cracks in the charge port (on the side toward the car) that allowed moisture to wick in through the fine, hairline crack in the bakelite that developed over time.

See
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?112194-8-Months-trouble-free-now-it-won-t-charge&p=1559289#post1559289

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?84082-Intermittent-Charging-Fault-Resolution

2011 Charge Port Hairline Crack.jpg 2011 charger port receptacle parts.JPG

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
There have been issues caused by cracks in the charge port (on the side toward the car) that allowed moisture to wick in through the fine, hairline crack in the bakelite that developed over time.

See
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?112194-8-Months-trouble-free-now-it-won-t-charge&p=1559289#post1559289
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?84082-Intermittent-Charging-Fault-Resolution
Thanks for that confirmation that cracking definitely happens. I check out the threads. As I mentioned in my 2nd post today they indicated replacing the 'receptacle' did not fix the problem. Hopefully they can narrow it down tomorrow or call for some advice from other GM techs.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I got a call from service this morning and the tech determined that it is the charger in the car so they were able to order one last night and get it today. Hopefully that solves it. These are over $1000 so that extended warranty on my Gen 1 may have been worth it. Note: I did use the warranty once to replace my center console (built in mode button stopped working).

Picture via: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?131802-Charger-in-Volt

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I got a call from service this morning and the tech determined that it is the charger in the car so they were able to order one last night and get it today. Hopefully that solves it. These are over $1000 so that extended warranty on my Gen 1 may have been worth it. Note: I did use the warranty once to replace my center console (built in mode button stopped working).
Wouldn't the charger be covered under the 8yr, 100k mile Voltec warranty anyway?

·
Administrator
20,326 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Wouldn't the charger be covered under the 8yr, 100k mile Voltec warranty anyway?
Dude, that is so mean. I was just trying to pick myself up for being so smart to get the extended warranty and now I'm kicking myself again! ;)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Warranty issues can get iffy quickly...

In my 2012 Chevrolet Limited Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet pdf, it says in one place:

What Is Covered
This Voltec warranty covers repairs to correct any Voltec component defect related to materials or workmanship occurring during the 8 year or 100,000 miles (160 000 kilometers) term for the following (in addition to the battery):
Other Voltec Components
High Voltage Wiring, Voltec® Control Modules, E-Compressor, Traction Power Inverter Module (TPIM), Accessory Power Module (APM), and Voltec On-Board Charger.

It also appears possible someone may determine your charge port issue to fall under the Federal Emission Control System Warranty Coverage category. The booklet says:

What Is Covered
The parts covered under the emission warranty are listed under the “Emission Warranty Parts List” later in this section.

And among the items listed in the Emission Warranty Parts List:

Voltec OnBoard Charging System:
OnBoard Charger * **
Charge Port
Charge Port Door Switch
Charge Port Door Position Sensor
Charge Port Door Release

You may be glad you have the extended warranty, since the Emissions Warranty has already expired...

·
Registered
873 Posts
And among the items listed in the Emission Warranty Parts List:

Voltec OnBoard Charging System:
OnBoard Charger * **
Charge Port
Charge Port Door Switch
Charge Port Door Position Sensor
Charge Port Door Release
I'll be here waiting for someone to explain why the charge port is covered under the emissions warranty :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Okay, here’s my attempt... I suppose one could say the long warranty on the Volt’s battery is intended to reassure owners the battery will last a long time, but a warranty on an electric car’s battery doesn’t also necessarily cover the system by which the battery is charged.

For example, perhaps some people might say items like the charge port, charge port door, etc., are things subject to wear and tear similar to that experienced by windshield wipers, and thus these parts could be considered as maintenance items.

I note the California version of the Emission Warranty covers more than the Federal version. Perhaps those who wanted a broad interpretation of "emission" parts argued that if the hybrid vehicle cannot charge and use its battery, the gas engine will be run more often, increasing the vehicle emissions. Perhaps this is why the components of the system by which the battery is charged (including the Charge Port) are included in the Emission Warranty Parts List.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts