GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an '18 premier and got it early December and so far, I love this car. I had my previous car for 15 years ('02 Acura RSX) so maybe this is just new car euphoria. Anyway, I'm starting to get in the habit of searching out charging stations when I take a drive. When I get to station and I'm about to plug in, I get this funny feeling like I should be protecting my car from a venereal disease. Has anyone else experienced this feeling and how long does it last?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, even the dirtiest charge plug is still cleaner than gas...?

But yes, I can't help but notice how dirty all charge plugs are compared to mine at home. :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
You should have your infotainment system scanned periodically for viruses and supercharger-transmitted diseases (STDs), and always be sure to include a plug-acquired pathogen (PAP) test. As an alternative, you can always pull a latex or rubber protective cover over the plug, but it's just not the same -- often you leave the charging station no better off than when you arrived.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If I detect a promiscuous use of charging stations, I will generally use abstinence. Not out of fear for my car's health, but because I drive a Volt and somebody will most likely need to plug in more than I do.

·
Registered
716 Posts
That is very virtuous of you! I too, have come around to just plugging in at home. Some would say I'm missing out on a lot of opportunities, but once you have accepted the ICE, it becomes easy to resist the temptation of promiscuous charging.

·
Registered
981 Posts
You always want to practice safe charging, especially when you are plugging the thing into the thing. We are still talking about cars, right?

·
Registered
716 Posts
You always want to practice safe charging, especially when you are plugging the thing into the thing. We are still talking about cars, right?
As is often the case, an exchange of ideas can sometimes transcend the original topic, and can be taken on many levels! ;-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The charge station I frequented today was already plugged into one vehicle when I got there (I didn't realize that Tesla's take the plug in the rear end). The station still had capacity for my volt, so I went for it! The dual servicing was my first. I was hesitant, but it got the job done. There will be less plugin time when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The charge station I frequented today was already plugged into one vehicle when I got there (I didn't realize that Tesla's take the plug in the rear end). The station still had capacity for my volt, so I went for it! The dual servicing was my first. I was hesitant, but it got the job done. There will be less plugin time when I get home tonight.
You're killing me!! LOLOLOLOL.

·
Registered
716 Posts
On another note, they now have the new Honda Plug-In Levity on the lot at our local Honda dealership. I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Last week the wife and I attended an event downtown. Drove the Volt, and parked at a public charging station. Parked next to us was a Nissan Leaf. So I mentioned to the wife, "Hey there is a Leaf, come have a look at it". The Leaf takes it from the front, so we walked around front where the charge port is located. And to my surprise I noticed this one had a big DC fast charging port in addition to the AC one which was already plugged in. Told the wife the big port was a DC one for quickie charges and that the Leaf is AC/DC, and charges "both" ways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts