GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Stupid? Useless?

My SUV suddenly seems much less "useless" when I am driving over snowy mountain passes. . .

Admittedly, there are people who don't truly utilize their SUVs full capabilities.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Post from Business Week in response to EVs:
And as for plug-in electric cars, not everyone has a single family home with a garage. Plug-in electric cars are still too impractical for many, many people

Honda CEO Takeo Fukui said
"If the batteries ever go through a major advancement, then the plug-ins will also advance, [but] if you look at the current battery performance, the cars have a very limited range." He also said that to have wide acceptance, the cost of an alternative tech vehicle must be no more than $2000 than that of a conventional one.

Are we, as avid Volt Forum members, blindsided to some very important EV adoption issues?
@BusinessWeek:
I don't have a gas pump at my house either. And since when does not having a garage equal not having electricity?

@Toyota:
I agree, somewhat. Range will be limited, but "very limited"? 40-miles is all most Americans need. Price is another issue. If Americans are going to pay 5x as much at the pump, they might accept plug-ins even if they are $2000+ above the cost of a conventional car, because they will see the potential for saving money.

·
Registered
125 Posts
@BusinessWeek:
I don't have a gas pump at my house either. And since when does not having a garage equal not having electricity?
Yeah, but think about it. you can go down to the gas pump on the corner and fill up in under 5 minutes. If I could go down to the shock shop an fill up with 8 kWh in 5 minutes that would be great, but the bottom line is I need to plug in for 6 hours. This doesn't work for me because I don't have a garage and the parking spot that I have doesn't have a plug. I could park on the street in front of my town home and run an extension cord out, but that assumes a lot, like there being a spot to park in. Even if I did it is not safe for me to leave my front window open overnight in this neighborhood. In short, I would rarely if ever get to take advantage of the 40 mile AER, so it becomes a poor choice for me to spend the extra $5000+ to get a lot of battery.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
ka-ching!

Soon Joe Real will install electric outlet all over the planet that you can plug into. Will get activated by swiping your debit or credit card, then you simply plug in and charge while I rake in the charges, mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha....

No, I'm not a zillionaire to embark on such a scale of business, but many entrepreneurs wannabees will surely fit in such a demand, and it might be in the works already. If not, I collect a royalty of half a cent per charge for such an idea.

No? Damn... patented already!

·
Registered
331 Posts
also

It wouldn't bee all that expensive to have an electrician run a plug out to your curb or out to your driveway or just outside of your house.

·
Registered
125 Posts
all well and good

It wouldn't be all that expensive to have an electrician run a plug out to your curb or out to your driveway or just outside of your house.
I think you all missed my point. Running a cord from my house to my car on the street is a good way to get my extension cord stolen. If it's a "special" GM extension cord specially made for the Volt, I give it one night (three at the outside). Besides, It rains here A LOT. I'm a weency bit nervous about leaving said cable plugged-in with water potentially getting in the access point. I would also have to lock my electric outlet so others don't use it. Incidentally, last month my electricity cost me $0.25 per kWh. I have the option to change it to a low low $0.16 per kWh, but that will take time.

I appreciate that there might not be much to do about it, but to dismiss these concerns from potential customers like me, seems a bit short-sighted.

·
Registered
67 Posts
yea whatever people

I hope gas gets to 10 bucks a gallon soon as possible, so we can all get a damn BEV. The extension cord problem will evaporate from the minds of anyone.

·
Registered
636 Posts
$10 a gallon

The cost of any and all food and goods will go up, up, up. Beer, Kool aid..... Think of diesel power that moves this country by truck. These massive fleets will not convert to peanut oil or algae any time soon. It's not a pleasant thought. Even the cost of making and distributing solar products would escalate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you all missed my point. Running a cord from my house to my car on the street is a good way to get my extension cord stolen. If it's a "special" GM extension cord specially made for the Volt, I give it one night (three at the outside). Besides, It rains here A LOT. I'm a weency bit nervous about leaving said cable plugged-in with water potentially getting in the access point. I would also have to lock my electric outlet so others don't use it. Incidentally, last month my electricity cost me $0.25 per kWh. I have the option to change it to a low low $0.16 per kWh, but that will take time.

I appreciate that there might not be much to do about it, but to dismiss these concerns from potential customers like me, seems a bit short-sighted.
It is a standard extension cord that you can buy at Wal-Mart. If you live in a neighborhood that is in high risk of theft for a $10 extension cord, then you are probably not going to be a buyer of a $40K Volt.

As far as the rain/moisture is concerned, people use $3 Wal-Mart cords in the winter for Christmas lights.

Your concerns lack legitimacy for the overall or mass market.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It is a standard extension cord that you can buy at Wal-Mart. If you live in a neighborhood that is in high risk of theft for a $10 extension cord, then you are probably not going to be a buyer of a $40K Volt.

As far as the rain/moisture is concerned, people use $3 Wal-Mart cords in the winter for Christmas lights.

Don't forget those of us that live in cold climate areas that plug our cars in every night (engine block heaters) in the snowy winters. That technology has been around for years.

·
Registered
125 Posts
fair enough

I agree that people run extension cords outside to power their Christmas lights all of the time (well in December at least). So my trepidation for plugging in during rain storms that dump 4"-5" an hour might be a tad overblown.

I hope you're right about two things. First, GM will make the Volt such that a standard extension cord will be usable to charge. Second, the "mass market" will be able to afford a 40 thousand dollar car. That means the economy has rebounded profoundly. I for one, while having an income in the top 30 some percent, will likely not spend 40k on a car. So if the Volt ends up at 40k then I will probably go with a CR-Z or something like that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
exactly

95% of all houses have existing jacks on the outside.
True. I was only responding to the poster that mentioned that plugging his car in would require an extension cord run out his window. I honestly don't have any recollection of ever seeing a conventional home or apartment without external plugs somewhere. That said having a curbside outlet would be extremely easy to install if you don't and depending on you circumstances could be much more convenient.

·
Registered
125 Posts
through the hedge

True. I was only responding to the poster that mentioned that plugging his car in would require an extension cord run out his window. I honestly don't have any recollection of ever seeing a conventional home or apartment without external plugs somewhere. That said having a curbside outlet would be extremely easy to install if you don't and depending on you circumstances could be much more convenient.
Ok, I did some digging in the garden area in front of my house and yes in fact there is a 110v plug (two really). So, happily, I will not have to open my window to run an extension cord to my Volt. I am still concerned about the safety of my cord but if indeed I can use a $3 extension cord (of which I can actually afford a few), then I might not be too concerned losing one or two to theft. If it turns out to be a $100 cord that I can only get from the dealer, I might be more reluctant.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts