GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Some good nuggets of information.

That is good news that Andrew Farah is the chief engineer for Volt 2.0. I don't know if that was publicly known.

Around 25:30 of comments it sounds like Volt 2.0 will keep 3.3kW charging. Also it seems like they are not concentrating on fuel range or faster acceleration. 50 miles AER is an iffy goal - sounds like price reduction will be the driving concern.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The question about battery EOL was mine. Not sure I asked it the right way, but we've had discussions about what happens as the Volt battery loses capacity. One issue is whether the SOC opens up more to keep the range. He didn't answer that, and I'm not sure I asked it directly enough. What he said is that if the battery lost 30% of capacity then you would still be able to drive it but you would see some decrease in range. This suggest to me that if you end up at the lower end of the degradation, say 10%, then the SOC window will be enlarges slightly and you won't see a decrease in range (but I may be putting in more than is there).

The other question, which he did answer, is what happens when the battery can no longer support the initial range. He did answer this, saying that you would gradually lose range but the car would still be driveable in EV mode until at some point when the battery could no longer supply sufficient power. He said that would be in the double digit teen years, and my impression was that he didn't mean thirteen.

The other interesting bit of information was that he expected the battery to lose between 10% and 30% of its capacity over the eight year warranty period. I think we've heard that before but nice to get it confirmed.

·
Registered
970 Posts

That is good news that Andrew Farah is the chief engineer for Volt 2.0. I don't know if that was publicly known.

Around 25:30 of comments it sounds like Volt 2.0 will keep 3.3kW charging. Also it seems like they are not concentrating on fuel range or faster acceleration. 50 miles AER is an iffy goal - sounds like price reduction will be the driving concern.
That section of the video got me thinking about what is the one most important area to focus on improving for Volt 2.0? If you could only change one thing what would people want most. I think I'll start a poll under the suggestions for GM sub-forum but before I do let me know what options I'm missing. Here's what I would include so far:
1) Reduced price
2) Increased electric range
3) Faster charging
4) Improved hybrid mpg
5) Increased seating capacity
6) Better cold weather heating
7) Radio off button :)
8) New styling
9) Improved blind spot visibility and/or reduced window fogging

Others?

·
Registered
309 Posts
10) Additional instrumentation, e.g. able to readout MIL code(s), battery & drivetrain temps, 12V battery charge, ICE tach & generator output power.
11) Higher torque electric drive motor.
12) Higher capacity and/or lower weight battery.
13) Moon Roof option.
14)EMT - Run Flat tires.
15) HUD option.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Great post!!!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Thanks for posting. I'd be so giddy to see sketches of Volt 2.0.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Excellent post! Thanks!

I took from this video...

1. EV range will be increased gradually, like it has been from 2011-2013 MYs. No big leaps for Volt 2.0 barring a major (cost effective) jump in battery chemistry.

2. Cold-weather comfort will be improved. I'm guessing this means the Delphi heat pump will be ready in time for Volt 2.0 and direct heating could be expanded to the rear seats and/or steering wheel.

3. Performance will be the same or decrease a little. "Customers aren't asking for higher speeds or power." Maybe they're tweaking the gearing a bit to get better efficiency with slight reductions in 0-60 or top speed (maybe drop to 95 MPH max or something).

4. Volt 2.0 will get 5-passenger seating and more efficient packaging. Farah directly mentioned both of these attributes as something customers have asked for.

5. Charging is staying the same.

6. Price reduction is goal #1.

Did I miss anything?

-Drew

·
Registered
500 Posts

Around 25:30 of comments it sounds like Volt 2.0 will keep 3.3kW charging.
I think we need 6.6kw charging and not to offer this is a mistake. I think many Volt owners don't understand the value this offers especially in terms of using the public charging infrastructure where they charge by the hour. Once they have it they never will want to go back.

·
Registered
500 Posts
That section of the video got me thinking about what is the one most important area to focus on improving for Volt 2.0? If you could only change one thing what would people want most. I think I'll start a poll under the suggestions for GM sub-forum but before I do let me know what options I'm missing. Here's what I would include so far:
1) Reduced price
2) Increased electric range
3) Faster charging
4) Improved hybrid mpg
5) Increased seating capacity
6) Better cold weather heating
7) Radio off button :)
8) New styling
9) Improved blind spot visibility and/or reduced window fogging

Others?
there is no reason why Volt 2.0 shouldn't have all of these

1 - 11 of 11 Posts