GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I dig into the million page manual I thought I'd ask here first. lol

:confused: How do I go about playing music from a thumb drive. I come from a 6 disc changer in my old 300C to no CD player at all.
Can I just download my favorite music library to a thumb drive and leave it in the slot at all times, just playing it when I feel like it?
Do I just copy the music files directly from my computer, or are there additional steps to take?
I hope someone more tech savvy than I am can help. Thank you in advance, everybody.

I love my brand new Volt. coming from a 2007 Chrysler 300C with a big V8, this car makes me feel like I've stepped into the future. The only niggles I have with it is that it lacks power seats and a sunroof. also, the "can't locate remote" message has popped up a couple of times, but there's a TSB for that so I'll address it with my dealer when I have a chance.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The short answer is yes. Depending on the MY you can use AUX or USB. However, unless you have a 2011 or 2012 MY, most people use their phone and Bluetooth. You should have a manual or the infotainment system. Probably best if you take a look at that if you have questions.

The "can't locate remote" can also be a sign of a dying battery in the remote or the remote being shielded.

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Just make sure the thumb drive is formatted as FAT32 and not some extended windows or Mac format. The home directory is limited to 253 files total, so make a subdirectory, then copy all the files you want into that subdirectory (i learned this the hard way when I was trying to copy a bunch of data fields to a USB stick at work). Don't load too many songs onto the USB stick as that will cause the volt to take longer to index, especially a gen1. I fiddled with this for awhile, but in the end, I just stream pandora or Spotify via Bluetooth from my smartphone and don't mess with the quirky volt interface for trying to select and shuffle music.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I use one of those low profile thumb drives pictured below.
I rip the CD to my computer in a high quality MP3 format.
On the thumb drive, put a folder for each artist using their name.
In each artist folder there will be a folder for each album.
I use Windows Media Player to rip the CDs and it creates the album folder with each cut inside in the correct order.
Then just copy the album to the proper artist folder on the thumb drive.
WMP will also try to include the album art, but if it fails, I run the ripped album through MP3 TagScanner (free program) and add the album art manually.
I usually have my Volt set to play all songs alphabetically, but you can also set it to play by artist, genre, or album.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Before I dig into the million page manual I thought I'd ask here first. lol
You should read it. And it isn't even 1,000 pages long! I have bought and read the 2011 Chevy Volt Owner Manual, and the 2017 Owner manual. But I don't have or ever seen a Volt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts