GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i spilled some drinks on the plastic inside the up holder and around the shifter. I never clean it and it eating into the plastic and melting the top layer. All i can say is come on GC. WtF with this cheap quality. I hope warranty cover it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,556 Posts
If it was a pop you spilled, it is an acid. One use is to clean up battery corrosion.

My wife has a rule, no drinks without a screw on cap and no food whatsoever in the car. So any drinks with a little plastic lid our an open can of pop is banished. It's a good rule as my 3 year old volt is really clean inside as a result.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
Wow, I never realized the acid in soda drinks could actually eat at the interior plastic. Glad I just drink water in a sports bottle to avoid spilling. I get weird looks at stop lights, though. Driving is exhausting, however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,556 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
My cupholders have a removable rubber lining in them. Are you sure that's not what you are seeing? Nothing you can drink should be able to chemically attack any kind of plastic.

And maybe you should clean them out more often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,089 Posts
Just imagine what it's doing to your stomach, and intestines.
Your stomach can handle it easily, and it doesn't get to your intestines. (Look up 'buffering'.) I'm not so sure about your teeth. The sugar is what will kill you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,556 Posts
Your stomach can handle it easily, and it doesn't get to your intestines. (Look up 'buffering'.) I'm not so sure about your teeth. The sugar is what will kill you.
That's why I'm not in the medical field and went into computer science instead, although my dad insisted that I be a premed student. My GPa would have been much higher had I not had to take those bio and physiology courses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
It will take paint off the car as well
Dang, will make sure to rinse off any soda/beer next time I score street parking near an event.

Just imagine what it's doing to your stomach, and intestines.
I would think my own stomach acid would be worse than soda. That good ol' stomach lining, doing it's thankless job.

My cupholders have a removable rubber lining in them. Are you sure that's not what you are seeing? Nothing you can drink should be able to chemically attack any kind of plastic.
I interpreted OP's "eating" comments as a bit of exaggeration. I filtered out the exaggeration and was picturing something along the likes of "etching" in that the soda left marks on the plastic that cannot be easily removed. I didn't think the soda acid would be enough to literally dissolve the plastic as in the case if you dissolve styrofoam with gasoline which I think gives you napalm.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top