GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some pictures of Volts with the black grill and tires and was wondering if anyone would like to share some pics. I am especially looking for a satan silver volt with black grill.

also if anyone can recommend a EASY and CHEAP photo edit software where I can try it myself that would be great.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Can't help you with the first paragraph but for really great open source photo editing software you cannot go wrong with "Gimp", the GNU Image Manipulation Software. Some think it is even better than PhotoShop (LightRoom):

https://www.gimp.org/

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just downloaded and removed Gimp. was to complicated. I just want to use it, not spend to much time learning.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just downloaded and removed Gimp. was to complicated. I just want to use it, not spend to much time learning.
I tried using GIMP as well. It doesn't have great features and yes, it is not easy to use.
If you are running windows, play with the PAINT feature. It is a simple program but it will let you play with pictures. Not as refined as a paid for paint as you go, but it would let you get the idea of what you want.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here's a quick and dirty...

View attachment 155447
YESssssssss... I have the lighter Silver ICE and had always told myself that I would black out the silver grill piece. BUt I was told that it was not a good idea if you still have the car financed. Don't know why but it made be take a back step. That looks so good, I may just go ahead and black it out, it is an improvement and doesn't advertise ELECTRIC CAR...
Speaking of advertising, I saw a commercial, but it wasn't GM or a dealer commerical. It was a group promoting ELECTRIC CARS, and it had a few Electrics in a line, and there it was, THE VOLT......... I was so proud, LOLOLOLOL

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried using GIMP as well. It doesn't have great features and yes, it is not easy to use.
If you are running windows, play with the PAINT feature. It is a simple program but it will let you play with pictures. Not as refined as a paid for paint as you go, but it would let you get the idea of what you want.
I am looking for a program that will let me click on the the grill and it it can automatically trace the grill then I hit fill and its black.
I know I have done that in the past and it wasn't hidden behind many menus.

all I want to do it take a pic of my car and color in the wheels and grill before I do it for real.
If anyone knows of some software that can do that without spending an hour looking through a manual or can help me learn how to do it with Gimp or some other free or not to expensive software that would be great!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey, i used to own that software. wonder if i can just DL it

well it looked the same but its not. I got an old copy of MS digital image suite

·
Registered
420 Posts
Paintshop Pro is NOT free (unless you get a pirated copy) and is as difficult to learn to use as "The Gimp", which you decided above you could not be bothered to learn....

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah it's not free. I bought it probably 10 or more years ago and have just held onto it because for simple stuff it's just easier than the convoluted UI of Photoshop. I also own Photoshop but I only use that for more complex or critical editing: stuff I don't mind spending an hour watching video tutorials in order to accomplish. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Alikair, Here is a link to my thread with some photos. My hubby did the wrap and it has held up and going strong for over a year. We went with Satin for the finish of the plastiwrap. I did have to cut out the two sensor areas on the lower grill so that it functioned properly.

He also helped me find a solution to the ACC face lift that is needed if you have that grill by having a Volt V created by a 3D printing firm. This info is also in the thread. The Volt V we had made for us had to be just thin enough and the trough of the V had to be placed just right so that it would not affect the ACC.

Here is the link:
https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?296050-My-Volt-got-a-face-lift-for-his-ACC-grill-sadness

Hope this helps.
Jernigan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts