GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
image.jpg

I replaced the stock Goodyears with Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus (LLR) 215/55R17 94V's at 25k miles(almost 4 years old though). Original tires still had some good tread depth but I found the outer edges getting warn and that there was a fair bit of surface cracking showing up around the beads and between the treads. The grip was noticeably reduced with the wear on the Goodyears, especially on wet or slippery surfaces.

The Pirellis are a decent replacement. They handle well, certainly a notch up from the Goodyears. They are also quieter even though there is still some noticeable tire noise. I would say that the noise is more focused below the car as opposed to "in the car". The sound pitch is lower and I no longer have that sound like the rear wheel bearings are worn. The Goodyears had a definite "hiss" that seemed to penetrate and get magnified in the rear hatch area and the Pirellis have cured that. The Pirellis are still noisy on older course asphalt as are most tires.

On the highway, the noise levels from the tires seem to peak at about 50 MPH and do not get any louder compared to the Goodyears that seem to get noisier the faster you go. There was no peak. In other words, the Pirellis are much nicer for noise on the highway than the Goodyears by quite a margin. I can comfortably listen to the radio vs trying to drown out the Goodyears with high volume.

Initially, I had about a 10% hit on range but now that I have about 750 miles on them my range has suddenly returned to normal. I was running them at 40-41psi but have backed off to 39psi as the tires seemed to be a bit harsh on bigger bumps. The lower pressure has solved the issue and has not affected range.

Over all, I am satisfied with the first month of ownership and I believe these tires should perform well on the volt for many miles to come. They got excellent ratings on tirerack.com and were a #1 pick based on the group of tires recommended for the volt.

My other choice was going to be Continental Pure Contacts but they appeared to only be available in an H speed rating for the volt sizing and they were more expensive. I have Conti's on my Buick and they are decent on that vehicle.

I purchased the Pirellis from Costco (Canada) and they did a great job with installation. Properly torqued, properly filled and no balance issues.

Overall satisfied and I am glad I bailed on the Goodyears when I did.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have 91,000 on the original tires and was thinking of getting the P7's but Discount Tire says they are discontinued.
Replaced by Pirelli Estada. Anyone have any info on these?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I have 91,000 on the original tires and was thinking of getting the P7's but Discount Tire says they are discontinued.

If you honestly clocked in nearly 100k miles on your OEM tires and they still have any significant tread left, why would you NOT attempt to get a fresh set of the same make of tire!?:confused:

Chevy Volt + Discount Tire = Funny Comments

I would have been lucky to have broke 50,000 miles out of my original Gen1 tires if unexpected road debris had not destroyed one of them!:eek:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've got about 15K miles on my P7's and still love them. They are a little louder now but range is still on par with the OEM Goodyears. Liked them so much got a set for the wife's Volvo V60.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing on Pirelli's own site about them being discontinued.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just ordered a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All season plus tires from tirerack.com . I hope they are more flat resistant than the original Goodyears. I have had 6 flats in 2 years with the OE tires. Not to mention the Goodyears don't seem to hold air very well and are extremely noisy. I had a SAAB back in 1984 with the Pirelli P8s and they were great tires back then, I hope they are still as well made and quiet as they were years ago.

2013 Red Volt

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've had 4 Pirelli Cinturato P7 Tires All Season tires on my Nissan Leaf for about 6 months now. I noticed about a 15% hit in range when they were newly installed; you really notice these sorts of things in a BEV. I would still say there is >5% loss range after ~5000km on the tires, although I could probably get rid of this loss by over-inflating them a bit. They certainly are quieter than the crappy Bridgestone Ecopias that come with the Nissan Leaf. I'd buy these for the Volt, guilt free, when the time comes. Costco often has a serious markdown promotion on them, which makes them a stellar deal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2 cents: I replaced the Badyears at 55k with no unusual blowouts or flats. I got the Pirelli p7+ all season 94v's at my local Discount Tire for $110. a piece, plus will get a $60. rebate card. Much improved noise and ride, with no hydroplaning so far. I feel like I'm riding on gummy bear tires they're so smooth. OTOH, my EV range has gone from 40-42 to 35-33 MPC, and my guesstometer has gone from 40 to 35, which could add up to about a $100 - 150. a year hit in fuel/charge cost. I called Pirelli and they said they're not fuel efficient tires for EV's, but they are advertised as such. Some have suggested the mileage will improve with time, but I'm thinking of taking these back and getting the Bridgestone Ecopias, which have similar reviews regarding ride and handling. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
The original P7s have been discontinued. There is a replacement P7 that's supposed to fix the tread wear issues of the original version.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My 2 cents: I replaced the Badyears at 55k with no unusual blowouts or flats. I got the Pirelli p7+ all season 94v's at my local Discount Tire for $110. a piece, plus will get a $60. rebate card. Much improved noise and ride, with no hydroplaning so far. I feel like I'm riding on gummy bear tires they're so smooth. OTOH, my EV range has gone from 40-42 to 35-33 MPC, and my guesstometer has gone from 40 to 35, which could add up to about a $100 - 150. a year hit in fuel/charge cost. I called Pirelli and they said they're not fuel efficient tires for EV's, but they are advertised as such. Some have suggested the mileage will improve with time, but I'm thinking of taking these back and getting the Bridgestone Ecopias, which have similar reviews regarding ride and handling. Any advice?
I routinely get 43 to 45 miles per charge on the p7s. So take them back, or don't. Whatever.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the Pirelli's because of some favorable reviews. They're pretty terrible on wet pavement, more specifically, at a stoplight looking to turn with the arrow across traffic. From a dead stop, it feels like the car has very little control and in order to compensate I have to ease into the turn with barely any acceleration. They're good enough in a rain storm or even in snow, but simple wet pavement--dreadful.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'll be putting these on my 2017 Volt here in 6 months probably, currently sitting at 26K on the stock Michelin tires. I've seen them on amazon as low as $112 and I get 5% cashback on top of that so a pretty good deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts