GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
It is sad to see long lines at gas stations when gasoline is scarce and prices rise. This can be prevented if they bought hybrids or EVs. But have you seen any new ads promoting them due to this situation? I haven't. Only Toyoto and Ford sell hybrids here, but none appear in their ads. Nissan and BMW offer BEVs here, but none are adverrtised at all. So if the gas shortage and price hike doesn't help, new ads will help sell more EVs and hybrids.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Yesterday, I made the mistake of gloating no lines at my plug and then my 240V charger crapped out. I reckon I earned that.
Well at least you can "fill up" with the 120 VAC EVSE, like filling a gasoline tank a quart at a time, but eventually you can charge at home without getting into the gasoline line.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I haven't. Only Toyoto and Ford sell hybrids here, but none appear in their ads. Nissan and BMW offer BEVs here, but none are adverrtised at all.
I wonder if the lack of EVs in Puerto Rico is related to the tax situation. The federal income tax credit for buying an EV wouldn't benefit most people in PR since they typically do not pay federal income tax. That makes a big difference in marketability.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It's only a temporary shortage, but I have to admit fueling the volt with fixed-price electricity is awesome. The ups and downs of gasoline pricing and supply are a mental drag.

How many times have we prepared for a trip only to find that gasoline prices have jumped 20-30 cents a gallon? Also, It still irks me how regional the price hikes are Leave Maryland and go to Jersey and prices are 20-30 cents cheaper for the same gasoline. The culprit, gas taxes that increase each year. Does it make the roads and bridges better, no. Money is diverted from the transportation funds to other pet projects. Same thing with tolls. The money just disappears rather than going to the roads and bridges it was collected for.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It is sad to see long lines at gas stations when gasoline is scarce and prices rise. This can be prevented if they bought hybrids or EVs.
That's humans for ya. What did Professor Barnhardt say in the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still? Humans won't change their ways until they are on the cusp of disaster.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Pipeline will probably be fixed by the time I need to fill up again. ;)
I hope so. I have only about 2.5 gallons left. I expect I will need gas sometime around next July. :D

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I wonder if the lack of EVs in Puerto Rico is related to the tax situation. The federal income tax credit for buying an EV wouldn't benefit most people in PR since they typically do not pay federal income tax. That makes a big difference in marketability.
It's related to a tax issue, but not THAT tax issue. Essentially, PR requires an excise tax to be paid on any vehicle brought in, according to a table of manufacturers models and years. The Volt is not on that table. Toyota Prius Plug-in 2014 is. Therefore, for $3,638.00 in tax, you can bring one into PR. But no Volt. Nobody, including Raymond, seems to know how to get a vehicle added to this table. Nothing to do with Chevy, nothing to do with the tax rebate, nothing to do with anti-environmental sentiments, no conspiracy to keep EVs down, just pig-headed bureaucracy.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's only a temporary shortage, but I have to admit fueling the volt with fixed-price electricity is awesome. The ups and downs of gasoline pricing and supply are a mental drag.

How many times have we prepared for a trip only to find that gasoline prices have jumped 20-30 cents a gallon? Also, It still irks me how regional the price hikes are Leave Maryland and go to Jersey and prices are 20-30 cents cheaper for the same gasoline. The culprit, gas taxes that increase each year. Does it make the roads and bridges better, no. Money is diverted from the transportation funds to other pet projects. Same thing with tolls. The money just disappears rather than going to the roads and bridges it was collected for.
I'm sure I don't have to say it, but EVs do not pay the road taxes if those taxes are levied on gasoline (except the infrequent Volt fill up). As Volt-type powertrains proliferate, that "loophole" would have to change.

Sh-h-h! Don't say a thing.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Gas was $1.78 here in N. Texas today -- what? Did I do something wrong?

Even with the huge amount of miles I Drive for work, I still make my 8.9 gallons in my Gen2 take me about 1600 miles before I have to fill up :)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Gas was $1.78 here in N. Texas today -- what? Did I do something wrong?

Even with the huge amount of miles I Drive for work, I still make my 8.9 gallons in my Gen2 take me about 1600 miles before I have to fill up :)
So you guys in Texas have been stockpiling all of that gas that would have been going up the east coast. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts