GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2017 Premiere, blue.

My commute is going to increase from 9km to ~140km a day. Looks like the trusty '05 Magnum RT isn't going to cut it anymore :(

I've been going over options (VW TDI, BMW 335D, Bolt) and tbh the volt never really seemed like an option. It slowly crept up on me though, and after looking into it for quite a while, I pulled the trigger.

Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome. I've got a 110 km/day commute 5 days per week. My range started out from 75 km/day in the beginning and now it's at 95 km/day. 2017 Volt LT. Once the temp gets warmer, it'll get better too. Already got 1900 km on the Odometer :)

I've only paid about $20 for gas in the last month and about $30-$40 in hydro to charge my Volt. I used to spend $450/month on gas alone on strictly commuting. Doing extra stuff would drive that number up to $600/month. Now that my wife is off work for the next year (baby on the way), were saving on her gas too and strictly using the Volt for our trips and leaving her 2013 Escape at home, were going to be almost gas free.

Congrats on the purchase. The Volts are a bit scarce in Ontario (had to wait a long while before I could pick up an LT), but it was worth the wait.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a daily 100 mile round trip commute. Been running my Volt 6 years now. Still enjoy it. I think you made a good choice. Can you charge at work? Even level one charge does the trick while at work for 8 hours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on the purchase. If I may ask, why did you never really consider the Volt initially?
Thanks!

It boils down to my dislike of Hybrids. My mentality always was that if you simply want a more fuel efficient vehicle, there are better ways to do it. (I also have an old Skoda and it gets better mpg than most hybrids)

The Volt always seemed a half measure, I mean you're lugging around an entire ICE motor, it just seems a bit odd at first glance.

However I was getting ready to seriously purchase a Bolt. Things change when you're ready to actually put money down, I started looking into charge stations, etc. Imagine what a trip to Montreal from Toronto would be like in a non Tesla Ev. Not pretty.

I also have 3 kids, so a first Gen volt kind of flew under my radar. The second Gen really seems like an excellent vehicle after doing all my research.

My wife wanted a Tesla, but they're insanely overpriced. What am I going to do with all these Mopar hats :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a daily 100 mile round trip commute. Been running my Volt 6 years now. Still enjoy it. I think you made a good choice. Can you charge at work? Even level one charge does the trick while at work for 8 hours.
There's a charge station across the street, I'm curious how they'd react to seeing the same car there every day.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I suspect that your story may be getting repeated over and over in many Chevy dealers. It's still early to judge, but Bolt EV may be the best thing to kickstart Volt sales. Is this the Law of Unintended Consequences at work? Maybe.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just purchased a 2017 Premiere, blue.

My commute is going to increase from 9km to ~140km a day. Looks like the trusty '05 Magnum RT isn't going to cut it anymore :(

I've been going over options (VW TDI, BMW 335D, Bolt) and tbh the volt never really seemed like an option. It slowly crept up on me though, and after looking into it for quite a while, I pulled the trigger.

Looking forward to it!
Hey Congrats Tommy!! Welcome to the club. Enjoy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I suspect that your story may be getting repeated over and over in many Chevy dealers. It's still early to judge, but Bolt EV may be the best thing to kickstart Volt sales. Is this the Law of Unintended Consequences at work? Maybe.
Yup, I'm another member of this group. I went in looking at the Bolt as I have a 104 mile round trip commute. After researching real life estimates and charging stations, the Volt just made more sense. I'm very happy with my choice. Good luck

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome to the club.
If you ordered new, hope you ordered ACC, members here say they wouldn't buy another car without it.

VOLT is not really a hybred, it is electric till the HV battery is low then it becomes a hybred, if that is the right term.

The expensive TESLA does not have anything on us... A guy drove up from Texas to Illinois in his TESLA, even with the charging stations, he said it was a very long trip.

I've never had so much fun and comfort till I bought the VOLT. Don't know why the VOLT seems to beat out the Cadillac comfort. Absolutely love the sound system also. enjoy

Stolen VOLT pursuit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp2TGpE7gLs

Bankrupt - How Cronyism and Corruption Brought Down Detroit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuOEf-pNXUI

nsurance Institute For Highway Safety Crash Test Results
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/chevrolet/volt-4-door-hatchback/2017

2017 Chevrolet VOLT crash test VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ia_MPTQrc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv4_uqHM-gg

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Lol. I also traded an '05 Magnum RT for my first Volt. Now I have an ELR. I liked the Magnum rebel yell, but, decided to put away childish things. Next up is probably a CT6 PHEV unless Caddy fields a pure EV.

·
Registered
462 Posts
What's acc?
Adaptive Cruise Control pretty nice feature, really like it. Put it in the search bar and you'll get many hits. Basically adjusts your speed, up to a preset level and all the way down to 0 MPH, stopped, based on traffic conditions. Cars with ACC have radar that "sees" cars in front, a very cool video of how it works was just posted in the past 3 days or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh man ACC is great.

I just have to watch out for stopped cars when the speed delta is too high, other than that it's smooth sailing :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts