GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we bought my wife a 2014 Volt at the beginning of the year and she loves it. Combined with that, my new office has free charging stations so I started thinking about PHEVs and electric cars. I've got a 91 Corvette ZR-1 for a fun weekend car, and I had been driving a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT as a daily driver (I joke that the wife's Volt, my rechargeable mower and trimmer still don't balance out the Jeep). Anyway, while I love the Jeep SRT, it's very thirsty and has been fragile over the last year (dropped lifter resulting in new lifters, cam and heads as well as the transmission just failing). It's all be covered under powertrain/extended warranty, but that's running out soon, so that really pushed me over the edge to start looking. Used Teslas are still too expensive, and while I love the wife's Volt, I needed something with a little more performance. Thus the '16 ELR. When I looked I could only find 3 for sale on Autotrader in the entire country. Luckily, one of them was here in DFW, and was the color I wanted (silver). Went and test drove it and decided to go ahead and make a deal on it.

Here's a pic plugged in at the office:
2018-07-19 07.43.20.jpg

I have to say, I absolutely love this car. Not quite as fast as my Corvette (of course) or even the Jeep SRT, but the instant torque of the electric motor is lots of fun. Even though the Jeep is about 4.5 second 0-60 with all wheel drive, I'd bet the ELR is just as fast 0-30 because you're not waiting for the throttle body to open and engine to react to throttle input. Car handles great, rides awesome and has great features. The best part is it will actually spin the tires on a full throttle launch even just on battery.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Awesome! How many miles on this beauty? Does it have the performance package? If you don't mind me asking, how much was it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
38K miles. Looks like a brand new car. Lifetime MPG is about 250, so very little engine use.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Evan, that is one of the most beautiful cars on the road - I even put it up there with my Jaguar F-Type convertible. I am envious, big time. Before I bought my 2017 Volt, I tried to find a 2016 ELR, and would have gladly given up range to drive a car that looks like that.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Nice, I've been watching those 2016 ELRs too. I'd have bought one already (or a gen2 Volt), if my 2014 hadn't been as great as it is. Hard to get replace a car that's been perfect. Ok, maybe not perfect, but I've really enjoyed my 2014.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Nice, I've been watching those 2016 ELRs too. I'd have bought one already (or a gen2 Volt), if my 2014 hadn't been as great as it is. Hard to get replace a car that's been perfect. Ok, maybe not perfect, but I've really enjoyed my 2014.
You just need to line up a buyer for the volt. Makes it easy to buy the ELR after that.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Evan - congratulations and welcome to the silver ELR club! :)

Does it have the performance package?
JuneBug - based on the wheels, it looks like the non-performance package.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I missed the performance package question. No, it does not have performance package or adaptive cruise. Personally I don't like the performance pack wheels, and the ride control is already stiff enough for a daily driver in sport (Tour is about perfect). The only thing I'd want out of the PP is better tires (which I can get myself) and the steering wheel (which I can live without). Typically I've been leaving it in Tour, but I did pop over to Sport this morning and get on it, and saw 190kW of output (wasn't really watching it, so that may not have been peak), and it was definitely fun.

I'm really enjoying this car after having it for almost a week now. Very quick off the line, and the quietness of running on battery is very addictive. Picked my Jeep SRT up from the shop on Saturday and it was such a huge change after just a few days in the ELR. Seems like such a huge effort (revs, engine noise, exhaust noise, transmission shifts, etc) in the Jeep to accelerate (even though it's faster), where the ELR just goes.

Also really enjoying the CUE system. The UConnect in the Jeep has been the best infotainment I've ever had in a vehicle, but CUE (at least for 16+) gives it a run for it's money. Big props to Cadillac for actually implementing Pandora auto start correctly (UConnect killed off their Pandora app and make you do BT streaming, which doesn't start playing automatically most of the time). However, I do notice that sound quality on CUE for Pandora is lacking in bass compared to USB input, which sounds AWESOME. Not a big deal, just have to adjust the tone settings which switching between sources (wish it held different tone settings for each input).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Evan - congratulations and welcome to the silver ELR club! :)

JuneBug - based on the wheels, it looks like the non-performance package.
also look at the brake calipers,,there Brembo and say Cadillac on them.My car stops on a dime,love the brakes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, forgot the brakes. I would have like those for the performance pack, but they aren't really needed on a daily driver. Car stops really well with standard calipers, and most of the time I'm trying to use regen anyway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry, I missed the performance package question. No, it does not have performance package or adaptive cruise. Personally I don't like the performance pack wheels, and the ride control is already stiff enough for a daily driver in sport (Tour is about perfect). The only thing I'd want out of the PP is better tires (which I can get myself) and the steering wheel (which I can live without). Typically I've been leaving it in Tour, but I did pop over to Sport this morning and get on it, and saw 190kW of output (wasn't really watching it, so that may not have been peak), and it was definitely fun.

I'm really enjoying this car after having it for almost a week now. Very quick off the line, and the quietness of running on battery is very addictive. Picked my Jeep SRT up from the shop on Saturday and it was such a huge change after just a few days in the ELR. Seems like such a huge effort (revs, engine noise, exhaust noise, transmission shifts, etc) in the Jeep to accelerate (even though it's faster), where the ELR just goes.

Also really enjoying the CUE system. The UConnect in the Jeep has been the best infotainment I've ever had in a vehicle, but CUE (at least for 16+) gives it a run for it's money. Big props to Cadillac for actually implementing Pandora auto start correctly (UConnect killed off their Pandora app and make you do BT streaming, which doesn't start playing automatically most of the time). However, I do notice that sound quality on CUE for Pandora is lacking in bass compared to USB input, which sounds AWESOME. Not a big deal, just have to adjust the tone settings which switching between sources (wish it held different tone settings for each input).
You are spot on as far as PP - I just drove my 2016 home from Pheonix to Denver, Chrystal White Tri-coat with Kona interior...I love this thing (came from 2013 Volt and 2014 Spark EV).

·
Registered
55 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
Snapped after my commute to work
Eric,
Congrats on your 2016 ELR! With Kona interior, no less! I'm very jealous.

If you still have your 2014 Spark EV, you and I might be the only members of Spark EV / ELR club :)

And if you decide to convert your 81 Scirocco to an EV, keep us posted!
Ed

·
Registered
55 Posts
Eric,
Congrats on your 2016 ELR! With Kona interior, no less! I'm very jealous.

If you still have your 2014 Spark EV, you and I might be the only members of Spark EV / ELR club :)

And if you decide to convert your 81 Scirocco to an EV, keep us posted!
Ed
Thanks Ed!

Ironically I just sold the Spark EV last night...so my thoughts of using it for the parts for the Scirocco conversion have evaporated...but it does seem like a wrecked Spark EV would be a great place to start for components and the battery!

-Eric

1 - 17 of 17 Posts