GM Volt Forum banner
6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  anthony.spina97 
#1 · (Edited)
PIC6231 EV Range Driving Tips

(See PDF Attached Below)

*Most apply to Volt and other EVs as well ;)

WOT

Attachments

#2 ·
I like the column that is titled "Engine", and that for the Bolt EV the value is "All". It sould have "N/A" for not applicable, though.

The rest explains how to measure energy consumption and how to reduce it. These tips apply to all vehicles, EV, hybrid, or gas only.

#4 ·
I like using the regen paddle to slow down my Volt, however, when driving other cars I do find myself trying to brake by grabbing for a paddle that doesn't exist on the car that I'm driving!

#5 ·
I have a Gen I Volt and my big concern with using "L" is slowing too quickly at stop signs and before turns WITHOUT the brake lights coming on. People frequently follow a little close (and I'm not really driving 'slow' - I'm not a 'Prius driver'.
If the brakes were a little less touchy, I'd be happy just applying a light brake to regen. It's very difficult to detect when the hydraulic brakes start to engage.

#6 ·
Slowing down in "L" in the gen 1 Volt is no different than someone downshifting and using engine braking in a manual drive ICE car. Brake lights not coming on while decelerating shouldn't be new news to most people. It's the person behind you's responsibility to look at the distance between them and you to judge when to slow down, not the illumination of your brake lights. :)

-Anthony

#7 · (Edited)
I too, prefer D to L and it can give greater range. I use L when going up and down hilly terrain primarily for convenience and I use the paddle for early slow downs for convenience. I have a 2016 model. regen is not particularly efficient. It is better to allow the car to coast as it does in drive for most situations. The key is to not insist in holding the speedometer on to a single number, let is drift as well.

I wish the 2017 volt screen that provides feedback on technique could be added to the 2016 model. It seems that Chevy abandons current customers the minute the deal is sold. They are only interested in new car sales, unlike Tesla.

Dale

#8 ·
I wish the 2017 volt screen that provides feedback on technique could be added to the 2016 model. It seems that Chevy abandons current customers the minute the deal is sold. They are only interested in new car sales, unlike Tesla.

Dale
I also wish our '16 had this feature. Our '13 has it and I always love to see how efficient I or any of my family members were after a drive. It was something I could always make fun of them about when I could beat their efficiency scores. :D

-Anthony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.