GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So, driving down I-5 today with 15-20 percent battery left with the vehicle in mountain mode. First time using it, btw. All of the sudden we (the misses and I) jerk a little and then I notice the loss of power. CEL comes on. DIC words show up: shift to park. Not cool at all, at this point 1921 miles have passed. So we pull over, I shift to park and call onstar. They run diagnostics and the only code is the one in the title. The lady says, find a Chevy dealer now. High voltage is gone.

So onstar calls my dealership and they can't see me until Monday! I'm like no way. 40 day old car, let's try another dealership. Seems no one in my area (Kitsap peninsula) had an appointment until Monday 7th. I told them all unacceptable. So I call my dealership myself while on with onstar and I talk with a service manager and they agree to get me in tomorrow for a quick look and provide me a rental at their cost. Good on them. Onstar is impressed at this point, so they authorize the rental.

During all of this I shut the car off (did not open door), then I Restarted it. CEL is still present, onstar verifies the code for me again, and then I put the Volt into Hold mode and drive off. I needed to get off the busy interstate by jblm during rush hour.

The car drives fine. Since I was about 75 miles from home, onstar lady then says, well if you can drive it just go home and take to the dealer tomorrow. The last 5 miles are mixed 35 mph speeds so I put the Volt back into normal mode. Drives fines, acceleration is normal. So, I get home and instinctively plug in my charger in the garage... Guess what; starts charging like a champ!

I don't know if Chevy will be able to figure out what caused the hiccup, I say that as it seems all fine. In my younger years I would cancel the appointment if I could clear the CEL and wait for it to happen again.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

-AKULA-

·
Registered
249 Posts
See this post for an explanation of the problem.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?115402-Code-P0A0C-Vehicle-Integration-Control

It's not easy to inadvertently find the high voltage service disconnect, so likely not caused by anything you did. I'm not sure what interaction the dealership has with this disconnect during prep for sale, but it may have been that someone just got this put partway back in, causing the problem.

In any case, I'm sure the dealership will make it right again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could the MSD been "bumped" when the dealer installed the interior lighting kit (footwells and cup holders)? From what I understand the center console must be disassembled to get install the cup holder lights.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Could the MSD been "bumped" when the dealer installed the interior lighting kit (footwells and cup holders)? From what I understand the center console must be disassembled to get install the cup holder lights.
I like this idea. If this were Car Talk, I'd run with that one. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Status update:

Dealer was not able to recreate the issue. While checking the diagnostic codes, along with the P0A0C that was reported by onstar, they found P1E00. Both of these codes are mentioned in the post #2 above (silverone), see posters link.

The tech went through and checked all connections, cleared the CEL and faults and is going to send me on my way.

Hopefully this doesn't happen again! I now know what to expect at least if this happens again. I was lucky in the fact that it didn't hamper ICE operations, as I was able to drive 75 miles home when this happened.

Thanks again to Silverone (and the rest of you in the forums) for making me a smarter owner (and to the OP who shared this problem all the way back in 2014). I enjoy my Volt very much. It has been an amazing start (hopefully) to a long life together. 2060 miles now in 6 weeks, with about 1750 being electric. My use pattern is perfect for this vehicle (32-45 miles a day).

-AKULA-

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Twice in 4 days! P0A0C

It happened again... "Shift to Park" in my garage! This time it was more difficult to restart and move. I don't have AT&T reception for ONSTAR in my garage so I had to back out to contact them and run diagnostics. P0A0C again.

8:30 PM on a Saturday night, and my dealer is now of course closed! ONSTAR stated for me to contact my dealer and schedule an appointment again... Here is the ticket from my last visit on Friday (June 3rd).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/39q5glfd3148dfi/P0A0C.jpg?dl=0

I had two used Acura's before this one (75k miles between them), only issues were tires and battery. I'm glad I moved on to the Volt. Love the car and for the first 1921 miles it was flawless. The last 140 have been frustrating, with the reliability in question.

This is getting old very quickly.

-AKULA-

·
Registered
568 Posts
One of the most frusturating things is when the dealer says "can't find a problem, you are good to leave"

If the car is acting up, I always whip out the cell phone and document things... if the car suddenly decides to behave on the dealer lot you have some proof you aren't crazy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update! Volt back in service! Had to replace the battery... more to follow. I will post the service invoice for the experts to dissect.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Quick update! Volt back in service! Had to replace the battery... more to follow. I will post the service invoice for the experts to dissect.
Hmmm. The only field unserviceable issue that would necessitate a new battery for an P0A0C would be low-voltage harnesses/connections internal to the battery box.
Me thinks someone simply took the "take no prisoners" approach
Somewhat costly, but can be effective
Hopefully you're g2g
WOT

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOP,

Here is the sheet! This first service I had for the P0A0C resulted in nothing they could find. Less than 48 hours later it happened again. Hopefully this does solve the issues. They replaced a second part too... see attached.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Hi Adam.
For some reason your attachment didn't post
Care to try it again?
We are attempting to keep service threads on the Gen2 organized and including root cause and correction

Thanks
WOT

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Just a follow up on the P0A0C condition should anyone encounter it.
P0AoC can trigger a NO START or LOSS OF PROPULSION condition while driving.

P0A0C indicates an electrical issue with the high-voltage interlock circuitry (HVIC). Feedback from dealers indicates an issue with a an HVIC connector that mounts from the back-side of the battery disconnect unit (BDU) into the High Voltage fuse block on the battery is not properly seating. As such they have released bulletin PIC6211: No Start/ No Propulsion DTC P0A0C
which proposes an inspection of the connector involved, attempting to properly seat it and if necessary replace the BDU.
(complete battery replacement is not required)

HTH
WOT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts